Reviewing guests who no show, and additional weirdness

I’m guessing she didn’t use the magic phrase…I’m not comfortable with that guest.

Pretty sure only the BnB customer service rep can cancel without the guests photo and “host has canceled this guest” blerb on your listing page. When cancellations are done from their end nothing shows up on your listing. I didn’t want that blemish on my page just because some lame local tried to get over on me. But yeah, a lot of hosts don’t care about marring their listing. They argue on their own page, they have visible cancellations all over the place and they’re also usually not superhosts. Keeping superhost status is primarily important for search rankings and such.

Haha tried that too. I guess theoretically that could/should have worked but yeah no he got to stay and mess with us. Truth be told though it could have been worse because deep down the kid knew he was wrong and didn’t review anyways. I didn’t review him either so all ended well i guess but BnB support during the whole debacle was as expected. As teenage strangers invaded my cottage all I wanted (not even to kick Noel out) just all I wanted was his ability to judge me blocked and lame ass BnB would not help. That was the real issue for me…the damn lousy BnB support!

No no damages other than punitive ones. Now the guest who projectile vomited all over my bathroom is another story. That was so insanely nasty. 1/4 thick puke slime everywhere. I had to disconnect the cabinet sink drain to get all the puke from under its cabinet. So I had plumbing work on top of it all. It was bad. all I asked for was $100 in compensation and BnB was like “Wellllll they left early so how bout just $50” 2 days of phone calls later to support and I got my $100 but boy did they make me work for it as if the photos i took weren’t enough.

I don’t consider that all ending well but everyone thinks differently. Why DIDN’T you review him, and review him honestly? Now other hosts have no warning and he has nothing preventing him from doing the same to others…

1 Like

I wonder if $100 was really even enough…

Sorry but this is incorrect. I’ve read all your posts and it seems you have a lot of experience but I simply can’t just sit here and let you post things that are false.

Here is the Airbnb policy: “If you’re uncomfortable with a reservation, you can cancel penalty-free online, anytime.”

There is a limit of 3 penalty free cancellations per year online and after that you have to call them.
There is probably some unspoken limit (even though they claim there isn’t) which is why I asked how often you cancel.

Maybe you don’t believe Airbnb but will believe me. I’ve hosted over 600 bookings in the last five years. I’ve only canceled a few reservations in that time but no blurb saying I canceled appears on my listing. Most recently was last week when a woman with two 3 year old twins booked for one but told me about the kids. At first I said I would host her but forum members here talked some sense into me. So I went online and canceled. Easy peasy. I’ll be superhost for the 20th straight quarter in July

Superhost is not a factor in search rank unless someone uses the Superhost filter when they search. I do but I suspect most guests don’t.

2 Likes

I feel exactly the same way about this comment:

I’m not alone in this; I’ve had hundreds of guests with no reviews, who are teenagers, and have booked instantly. Not in the hundreds, but I’ve had plenty of locals too. They have never been a problem.

It’s not a good idea to suggest that guests who are young, local and have no review are trouble. It seems too that you are expecting Airbnb to both run your business and be your insurance company.

I assume that you’re no longer using Airbnb but if you decide to give them another go, it might be an idea to study their site and help pages.

2 Likes

Seems I’ve found/flushed out some of the forum trolls (one of the skills i’m proud of). and if anybody here thinks BnB doesn’t hire trolls to lurk on websites that criticize them for the sake of damage control. Think again. and KKC but sorry but it is you who are wrong. a blerb does appear on listings when guest is cancelled by the host.

Now you really sound like a BnB employee. It’s a well known fact/complaint that hosts in general do not like hosting locals and the reasons for, are many. It’s all over the web re: that concern. So you can shove it.

Shove what where exactly? Please let me know.

I do not care what’s ‘all over the web’. When you’ve grown up you’ll realise that not everything you read online is true.

I’ve read a few of your posts and it seems that you are not adding anything to this forum. You might prefer to post elsewhere.

1 Like

You can’t be serious. You should try reading more and posting less. @KKC is correct. As an experienced host, you really should try to learn some of the things that help make hosting easier for you, and penalty-free cancellation when you are uncomfortable is one of them, and it doesn’t leave an automatic review that says the host cancelled.

6 Likes

You’re so full of it. I’ve posted some useful info. and the Horror stories re: locals that are online are all untrue? including all of the locals i’ve personally hosted who screwed me over? Guess I must have dreamt it all. but thanks for clearing it all up for me, boss.

yes it can

Your skills suck. Jaquo has been doing hosting in one form or another since…well, a long time. I’ve been hosting twice as long and twice as many guests as you claim to. And we are long time members of the forum and moderators. So in case anyone is reading this who didn’t know, let me clear that up.

WTF is a blerb? You can tell a lot about a person by their inability to use online spell checkers.

LOLOLOL.

That’s uncalled for but it does make it a no brainer to bid you adieu. Reddit will welcome you with open arms.

1 Like

You’re ignoring Airbnb’s help pages in favor of Quora? You are…gone.

Do you know for a fact that in the instance the host cancelled and chose the option “I am uncomfortable with this guest?”

It’s clear that this poster didn’t know much. He won’t be posting again. If you’d like to stay in touch with him I think the PM function will still work for his profile.

You can’t be serious! LOL!

3 Likes

:wink: I can be sometimes but some people don’t get the jokes. I’m glad you aren’t one of them. I’m sure Donnie would like to proofread your listing too if you just give him a chance. :japanese_goblin:

4 Likes