Review help needed

Hi all,
I have been hosting only a year. I have loved it and have been lucky with having great guests. Just had a person check out that wasn’t bad, but I am uncertain how to review them. They gathered all the trash for me and put it in the proper place outside. They gathered the used towels. There was more debris on the floor than I usually see. And they had washed the dishes they used and put them in the dish drain. When I picked up the silverware to put it away, I realized that several pieces still had food on them and needed to be washed again. The patio table and the dish sink also had lots of hardened food particles on them that required a real scrubbing. I am not sure if this would just be normal use and to be expected or should they be ranked lower on cleanliness? I would love to get your opinions on ranking and review phrasing. Thanks greatly!

I would deduct a star on cleanliness if it was really quite a bit dirtier than normal. Without seeing in personally it’s hard to say for sure. I wouldn’t say anything in the review; it sounds like normal use. They sound like good guests to me.

3 Likes

Thank you, KKC! You have confirmed my gut feeling on this.

2 Likes

Would not include it in the review. Seems like they attempted to do it all just right but missed a few spots. Overall not a lot to be concerned about IMO.

3 Likes

I don’t know your listing, but this was normal cleaning for me.

Between each guest, I went through ALL of the silverware, dishes, glassware, and cookware and checked it to be sure it was clean. I found items that were put away dirty about 1/3 of all reservations.

Dried-on food on the countertops and patio table was even more common. It’s also not that hard to deal with, just wet it to soften it and go back after 10 minutes and finish cleaning.

4 Likes

Thank you Brian! I had never thought to inspect the silverware. I just recently put it in, having used plasticware till now. I will certainly inspect now though!

1 Like

I just take all the silverware and dishes from the apartment, which doesn’t have a dishwasher, and run them through my dishwasher downstairs. Every time.

2 Likes

They sound like good guests to me. And as others have said, it’s perfectly normal to find the things mentioned.

Like Brian, I check all crockery, cutlery and cookware after every guest and it’s usual to find that some things will need washing further.

4 Likes

BTW, my listing was originally for 10 guests, which I reduced to 8 after 3 months of hosting. I had silverware/glassware/dishes/cookware/utensils to support 16 people. My major concern was that the guests washed the dishes because there would be so many to wash if the guests left them all dirty (and one group basically did just that). However, I haven’t hosted since April 2020, and due to the pandemic, I would change things. For safety concerns, I would reduce the silverware/glassware/dishes/cookware/utensils to support only the maximum guests and sanitize ALL of it thoroughly between guests, even if it appeared clean.

1 Like

I wouldn’t downgrade at all; pretty normal situation to me. I always give people points for intent – obviously your guests tried to comply.

I can get folks who have to dash out at 4 a.m. for an early flight, so my check out list on the door has some items listed as “if you have time.” E.g., “Wash dishes and place in drainer if you have time; otherwise leave in sink.”

1 Like

I think the food participles on the patio table, silverware and sink is just from everyday use and folks not cleaning after themselves on a daily basis. It seems like they tried their best since they gathered the towels, bagged the trash, and washed the dishes. I personally would not penalized them. I have given three stars in the past for cleanliness to guests that left dirty pots in the sink or fridge.

I would not deduct any cleanliness stars for that stuff.

I can’t expect more from my guests than I can from my family, lol. Just par for the course.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the help!! Great suggestions!

1 Like

I would just leave it out of the review. If there is nothing outstanding other that a few extra pieces of food then I don’t know if the guest should be faulted, especially when they made a clear effort to clean up. Maybe just a star out of the overall rating but these are minor inconveniences that are just part of the job.

Thank you, Brian. I have written the review and commended them for what help they gave. I gave 5 stars across the board.

This group is wonderful! I am so glad experienced hosts are willing to take a minute to help a “newbie”. Thanks All!

2 Likes