Review for guests who assume they can check in whenever they like

Thanks @Maggieroni.
I know this is subjective and subject to debate. But also, imagine that person comes across this image with her picture, name, location and join date. Imagine it was you folk were talking about on a forum like that…

@Astaire
Now that I think about it, it was a private request so it would not be public. Probably her name and image should be edited out. If it was a review it would be a different case.

1 Like

Agree. What say Herr @Eberhard_Blocher? :slight_smile:

I agree with @Astaire. I think it’s wrong to post details on individual guests, actually I think it should be a forum policy not to do that. Is there somewhere I can give feedback and will anyone listen? (JOKE/airbnb sarcasm)

1 Like

PM one of the moderators…

I was just kidding. The moderators are all over the place (lol) and I’m sure they’ll do what they think is best. I’ll organise a mass protest if it’s not what I think is best, though (joking again, in case it’s not obvious!)

1 Like

Your request has just been complied with.

1 Like

Das ist sehr gut mein Freund! :smiley::+1:

Astaire, you are my new favourite member :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Aw that’s nice to hear, thank you :blush: :gift:

Last summer it had happened a bunch of times that guests decided to travel all night long and then dropped at my place at 8 AM in order to hang out in front of the apartment until the check in time (2 PM), although I explicitly told them there are guests in the apartment who won’t be leaving before checkout time (10 AM). I rent out 2 flats in a family house with a nice common space with a gazebo and the garden in the front, so of course this is great for them. However, it is by NO MEANS great for my guests who are trying to get some sleep/have breakfast/pack their luggage in peace before leaving, nor it is great for me having them watch me cleaning and running around, feeling pressured and observed, jumping over kids’ toys and so on… Last year, one group of guests hanged out in front of the apartment the whole time although I repeatedly “kindly advised them” to go to the nearby beach or do their shopping in the meantime. There was literally no way for me to remove them from my property besides explicitly telling them to leave, which was not an option… If the previous guests weren’t obviously almost ready to leave I would have told them to leave in order to give my guests some peace, but like this I was condemned to them sitting arounf with kids running around and touching my cleaning supplies and so on. I hate such guests!:unamused:

Many just try the usual tactic of simply stating “we will arrive at 10 AM”, although check in times are obviously different, To those I simply say that apartment won’t be ready before 2 PM. To those who politely ask for the earlier check-in I say I cannot promise them anything, but I can send them a message once the apartment is ready and they can get in immediately. It also suits me not to wait for them later and it makes them very happy. :wink:

Rarely I also get guests who ask whether they can drop off their things earlier, although they are with their car and it literally makes no difference for them where their things are while they are waiting for the check-in. Luckily, those people usually underestimate the traffic and arrive exactly at check-in time. :smiley: They however, usually miss to inform me on this so I cannot go about my own stuff. Although recently I stopped waiting for anyone for more than an hour into the checkin time and I usually write to them that they should notify me if they’re late as I will not be at home, but be within 20 min driving distance, so otherwise they will have to wait for me to let them in. I’ve learned my lesson. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s horrible, Inna, SUCH bad behaviour! I try not to use the term “entitled”, but I think it’s the only thing that fits here.

1 Like

With regard to the main thread (which I vaguely remember) I really can’t see what the fuss is about. When I were a kid in Manchester, we just left a note on the door saying “T’key is under t’mat” (or flowerpot if you were middle-class).

@jaquo or someone, you may need to translate for me …

1 Like

I think Airbnb accommodations differ so much - from a room in a house, an in law unit or a whole house the owner does not live in. But I agree that hosts need to be accepting of travel glitches in the era of the crappy airlines…But deciding to “see the sights and arrive whenever” is not cool. I have set up a very detailed “self check-in” for latecomers - I turn on the lights and leave out all the laminated instructions for the apartment. They arrive, weary from a long layover, and are grateful to just let themselves in.