Review for guests who assume they can check in whenever they like

I’m assuming your LTR house is a source of income, correct? How will you make enough money as a STR if you allow a day in between bookings? I’m just curious. Our one Airbnb unit used to be a LTR and if I had that many vacant days it definitely wouldn’t be worth it to have it be a STR, we would just stick to it being a LTR. As it is we aren’t exactly “rolling in dough” operating it as a STR because there are so many more expenses and competition is stiff here.

There seem to be a lot of posts about check-in/out times recently! It’s definitely a major PITA for hosts when guests don’t or won’t understand hosts specified times. The information is right up there with the most important stuff, like number of rooms, beds etc. so it’s not hard to miss. There is no filter for it, though. They recently introduced a whole load of additional amenities to add, such as ‘luggage drop-off allowed’ but that hasn’t been added as a filter.

I am not holding my breath. You still can’t search for private bathroom after all.

3 Likes

OMG, I didn’t even see that! How bloody ridiculous. That must be one of the most important things for many guests.
But you can filter by ‘doorman’ and ‘hot tub’. For goodness sake…

2 Likes

Where do you see this? I don’t see anything about luggage drop off in my list of possible amenities to add (not that I want to add it as I almost never allow it and certainly don’t want to encourage it!)

It’s in Logistics, under Amenities. There’s a whole bunch of weird and wonderful stuff under Amenities these days. I’m wondering if there’s a place that offers a doorman IN the hot tub. :smile:

3 Likes

@Eberhard_Blocher

Wait, you can’t leave (me) with a cliff-hanger! What are you going to tell your guests about the 3 pm check-in?

Logistics? Where’s that? I don’t see it. I just have the usual list of amenities.

You have to scroll down to see it. Are you using the app or desktop? Either way, the site is horrible to navigate.

I’m using the desktop. I still don’t see it. :frowning: These are my options:
Listing detailsBooking settingsPricingAvailabilityLocal lawsCo-hosts
I’ve looked under every tab and don’t see it.

I know, it’s like some kind of Harry Potter universe where people/things just run off into another window/painting (sorry if that makes no sense!). It took me ages to find it but it really is there:

Manage listings-
Edit Amenities -
Scroll down
Edit Logistics (it’s the first option listed)

This is on desktop. No idea what it looks like on the app.

Ah, the crucial thing is: you need to click on Edit Listing when you’re on ‘manage listing’.

Excuse my language but !!@ @!!* x1000 unhelpful and obscure interfacing.

2 Likes

Really??? I wonder if I don’t see that because I am the cohost (my husband is the primary host). I don’t see anything that says edit listing…althoughI think it used to say that. They are constantly changing things. Yes, I am on my desktop.

I see it now!! I am hopelessly low tech…and they keep changing everything…Thank you!!!

2 Likes

@Eberhard_Blocher - I have to disagree with you on this one. You told them “That’s fine” when they said 3 pm. Now you can’t live up to your end of the agreement. Stuff happens. But simply telling the guests “too stinking bad - show up when I tell you to show up” - not the kind of host I would want to stay with.

5 Likes

I’m not sure this has been mentioned but if it hasn’t and you’re able to have a door with one of those coded locks… we have found that works like a charm. We just let our guests know the code and directions into the house/suite and we don’t even need to be here.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment. In fact, this is just the kind of feeling that these particular guests seem to experience now that they are being told the originally planned check-in time isn’t available, any longer. They don’t think I am the kind of host they would want to stay with, any longer.

I guess this is down to basic human psychology. Change happens, all the time, yet we are loath to change. It is hard for me to accept this fact, and it seems to be hard for my fellow human beings, too. At least I am making an effort to try and accept it.

1 Like

Well, I did not tell them

That’s what I think I should be telling them, but it doesn’t sound good, does it?

2 Likes

I wanted to point this out as well. @Eberhard_Blocher, is there anyone else in your town you can engage for a one-off keys transfer? If not, maybe you should ask them to come in after 7pm and refund the first night as a compensation for breaking your promise.

What do you mean? Which promise?

To repeat, I am running a low-budget Airbnb, not a FIVE-STAR HOTEL. Just because someone asks to have a check-in at 3 PM doesn’t mean they will be able to get it. I do not provide a 24 hour reception and most hosts are running their Airbnb as a side business, which means they will usually be away at work during daytime, only returning home in the evening to let guests do the check-in. I think this should go without saying, when someone books an Airbnb.

1 Like