Review Dissapointment

So I have been conversing with the guest during her 2 day stay. All good. I accidentally provided her with linen (as she wanted it originally, but couldn’t amend the notation on the other website I use for the management of my bookings) which she got for no charge. When she vacated she raved about how great the stay was, quote “loved it, loved it” and “Love the place so much” and “It was a lovely stay”.

Was expecting a great review :slight_smile:

Just got review in. It says “A nice place to stay , walking distance to beach”. What the …??? very confused and sad.:confused:

You CHARGE for linen? I wouldn’t give you a very good rating either. No matter how pretty, nicely decorated or close to the beach, I still expect to find a bed with sheets and a coverlet of some kind, whether you’re charging $10 a night or $200 a night.

5 Likes

@KenH - Yes I do charge for linen. And no I don’t think its a crazy notion. The majority of our guests come from only 3 hours away and the option is given to them to bring their own, that way they know where it has been. You will be surprised, that 95% of my guests choose this option. The few that don’t are generally overseas guests for reasons which are obvious. And just to be clear, the only think that is not provided is the sheet set (top, bottom, pillowcase and a towel). The rest is provided including coverlet cover, blankets, bath mats, tea towels, and so on. You have jumped to a conclusion and I actually find your comment a little rude. But hey, its a free world right.

I was not concerned by the rating which was good, but the wording in the review as she came across completely the opposite in conversation.

1 Like

Ugh. I know how that feels. So confusing!!! Do you keep track of stars?

There’s no way to explain it for sure - you could always ‘reach out’ and ask if there was a reason for the lukewarm review.

But it sure has happened to all of us at one time or another.

1 Like

i could do but kinda a moot point now, coz the review can’t be amended. I am guessing she was just in a hurry. She was asian, so short with english and get sending messages as multiple lines rather than one paragraph. So maybe I have answered my own question.

1 Like

Sorry to say but you’re going to need to toughen up. Remember that the chances are that she wrote it on the app and I don’t know about others but I am always a lot more concise when using those tiny keys. It’s not the greatest review in the world but it’s certainly not a bad one. There’s no reason to be sad. If the star ratings were OK and there was no evil private feedback, then there’s no problem.

Also when people get back to their daily lives writing a review is not a priority for them.

5 Likes

I have had 100 people stay and not leave a review, yet couldn’t have been happier. I suspect for the reason you gave. Or maybe they have nothing new to say. That cryptic review gave me the impression it was one written ‘on the go’.

@TaniaHardman Since you charge for the new linen, what do you do with the used ones? Just curious.

3 Likes

I had a lovely couple stay here who loved the place and wanted to extend their stay for three days. (I couldn’t, because I was back-to-back). On the last night they were here, they heard that a close family member had died. Of course I didn’t expect (or get) a review. Who knows what people are going home to?

Even if they are still vacationing and moving on to a new place, there’s the excitement of getting to the new area so reviewing the place they just left is the last thing on their minds.

1 Like

I get about three (3) times more ‘Thank You’ personal e-mails than reviews, which is cool. Perhaps when people get back, they are bombarded with every day realities and are immediately pissed-off at us because we didn’t let them stay longer! :grin:

3 Likes

@KenH Some places it is totally normal to charge for linens or not even provide them. We get this question by the majority of the guests that are coming from within Europe. I think as long as @TaniaHardman is up front about it, there is not issue.

1 Like

Some people might even do this just to get you to leave them a good review.

We have heard this many times on the forum where the guest praises the host in person, and then BAM! - the host receives a review that you would think was written by someone else.

In your case…who knows, maybe it is the app, she was in a hurry, - any idea what stars she gave you? - when you look under the “stats” page?

Search the forum.
This has been discussed several times.

I some countries, when renting a hollidayhome / hollidayappartment, it is perfectly normal to bring your own linen.

1 Like

The review is short - but not bad. Better short and positive than long and negative.

1 Like

You might want to change your policy of charging for linens. Airbnb’s new Terms of Service include a provision that if the guest is rehomed due to the listing being substandard and the new place costs more than the listing the host will be charged the difference. It is explicitly spelled out in the new Terms of Service that linens must be provided in these words “does not contain clean bedding and bathroom towels available for the Guest’s use”. To clarify, if your guests complain that you haven’t provided linens, Airbnb can send them to a motel and charge you the difference.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/guest_refund_policy

5 Likes

What an ‘interesting’ practice, charging for the linen. You learn something every day.

2 Likes

When I was searching for places in Norway, a number of them mentioned this. But usually more like the hostels…non of the airbnbs do. Not that I know of, anyway; ask me in June!!!

That’s not a bad review. Please.

I think the bigger issue is the linens. Ellen is right. I think Air expects you to provide that, and while you had one guest who was okay with it, I am not sure future guests will be. I know that is the norm at some beach vacation rentals on the East Coast but I think you should consider including linens as that is so easy and cheap to provide. There could be a big down side if you don’t. JMHO.

1 Like

The linen thing is common in Canadian cottage country. One if my neighbor air hosts has great reviews doesn’t offer linens, his place is always booked. I do provide linens but not towels. No one complained. If it’s set out in the description and house rules, it cant be considered substandard. I decided I couldn’t afford to buy a lot of towels, it adds to cost of laundry and then there is the issue of towels going to the beach. I keep a few if folks forget.

1 Like

Yes, as of December 7th it can be considered substandard and Airbnb can charge you the difference between your price and the price of a comparable home where they put up the guests. You all should read the new Terms of Service.

2 Likes

I will be calling air to clarify as this is a very common practice here.

1 Like