Review assistance requested for guest who I caught lying + unauthorized guest

This isn’t always true either. In our leases, there is a nightly charge for any guest who stays more than 5 nights in a month and no one who is not listed as an “occupant” can stay more than 14 days in a month. We do this mainly because our apts are completely furnished and include all utilities, so it does add up if there are too many overnight guests. It also prevents a new boyfriend/girlfriend from moving in unofficially without any obligation to the lease (this protects my typically-very-young-and-naive tenants).

However, a similar clause has been in the majority of leases that I have signed over the years and that’s probably 25 or so leases. If the utilities aren’t included, there isn’t usually charge at any point for guests but only a limit on many nights a guest can stay.

I find that a lot of people overestimate their “rights” as a non-owner :wink:

2 Likes

When we re-opened our guest suite after a four-month COVID lockdown, it was with a set of COVID rules that we have said are in place until our local health officials* lift all levels of COVID alert. Although the guest suite is self-contained, it is inside our home – so one of the rules is that only the registered guests are welcome anywhere on the property.
This means no visitors, and if a friend is coming to pick up the guest they arrange by phone to meet out at the city sidewalk, not at the front door or in our driveway.
We were worried this might drive people away, but we quickly booked up for months ahead, and guests are telling us “Thank you for being so careful – that is just what we were looking for.”

*Fortunately we live in a jurisdiction where public health officials and elected officials are firmly science-based.

5 Likes

We have this same situation - a separate studio apt that is inside our multi-family home. We also made a new rule for no visitors or guests because of Covid. I also added a ‘masks must be worn in the halls, stairs and laundry area’. There’s been no problem with it at all. We’re booking up as much as we can handle right now. I imagine there may be some folks who see the new rules and don’t book because of them, but that is an extra-perk of the new rules :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes – we’ve done that too. We ask them to put on their mask before getting out of the car.

Most of the world’s “mask rebels” are U.S. based, and my property is located in Canada – which (like most of the world) has locked out Americans by shutting the border. That’s not to say that we don’t have a few home-grown denialists, and you’re right… COVID rules provide a natural filter against these reckless people.

Agreed!
Total perk!

2 Likes

Exactly! Exactly!

1 Like

Like this guy! He looks at your listing (and mine) and says “Not for me!”

1 Like

Thankfully!! He is probably also turned off by all the books, art and ‘foreign’ textiles :grin:

Unfortunately, there is so much of this happening. A local ice cream shop in my area had to close because they have teenagers working there (of course, it’s an ice cream stand in the summertime) and they kept getting bullied by grown men.