Restricted space within rental house

One thing I learned is: nobody reads all the way through the listing.’ We get asked by every other guest "what time is Check in? When it’s listed right there, and check out as well. So maybe they don’t actually know it’s not for guests in that room and you should put up a sign “do not enter”. The key pad should’ve been enough though!
And if it makes you feel any better, we had one guest walk off with 4 salad forks- and I even messaged him asking if he did it “by accident”- I never heard back. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I kinda doubt anyone purposely steals flatware. I figure they either accidentally tossed them in the garbage, or took some food with them when they went on a day trip and utensils to eat them with, and they ended up in their car.

I had some housesitters from hell once who disappeared some of my flatware. I found it six months later when I screened my compost to use in the garden. They had obviously dumped the food leftovers into the compost pail or outside compost box, complete with the flatware that was on the plate.

Exactly my thought. Except he stayed only one night, was living in the same town as we’re located but booked the Airbnb because his “roommate was moving out and there was some tension so I thought I’d stay away”.
He was a sort of odd fellow and he’s the only review that claimed “it wasn’t worth the price” - back then it was a mere 85$ a night and we’re now at 95-125 per night, we used to charge 25$ for cleaning, we’re now charging 55$ and have had zero complaints about price-
Anyway, I asked him if it was POSSIBLE that he might have swept up the flatware while packing because they weren’t in the rubbish, recycling or in the garden because it was the middle of winter.
He never replied. If it were me I would’ve replied and said “gosh no, I hope you find them”- with the roommate trouble etc, I think it’s more likely than normal that he might’ve taken then for his own weird reasons. Probably the reason his roommate was leaving under “tense circumstances”.

1 Like

Guess he was trying to make up for the poor value by stealing 4 salad forks, so he got his money’s worth. :wink:

Honestly, hosts could write a 300 page book based solely on the bizarre and unfathomable things guests do that have seemingly no rational explanation.

2 Likes

You are correct- I’ve learned that anyone staying at our place when they have their own home or apt in town is, shall we say, not the average guest.

1 Like

My keys were in the locked bedroom and I called a locksmith. To my surprise he just slid a credit card in the door jam slid in a flat balloon inflated it and poof the door was open . I have not tried it myself but if the need arises I will give it a shot.

1 Like

Lots of interior door locks will open with the pointed end of a steak knife (thin blade). All of ours would, until we put smart locks on them.

I think the reason they are not openable in your airbnb is because you installed deadbolts, right? ‘Smart’ locks are as easy to open as keyed locks - they simply have a different kind of key. Deadbolts are different.

1 Like

I agree. I just had a woman request to come for 5 days, ask for a discount and mention that she wanted to come “to be near her kids” who lived on the next street over. She said she “had been asked to move out” from that street and was living elsewhere but wanted to stay here for those days. No mention of whether the kids were adults or children. Red flag, red flag, I said no. I want no part of family conflict.

1 Like

I did something similar to get into my locked BMW. Frightening how easy it was to do without setting off any alarms.

1 Like

I’m so curious what they took. If you’re willing to share.

lol, why on earth would anyone tell another person that?!
:triangular_flag_on_post:

3 Likes

Because they’re mentally unstable?

Years ago I locked myself out on Thanksgiving Day. Neighbors kindly allowed me to call a locksmith & allow the dog & me to perch in their living room to wait. My friend Diane was coming over mid morning. I couldn’t call her to let her know what was going on (no phone & I didn’t know her number)

Diane arrives before the locksmith.

Her “I’ve got this” & pops the door open.

I didn’t know which bothered me more; the ease of popping the lock or she knew how to flawlessly do it!

2 Likes

Hahaha— I woke the neighborhood earlier this week. Early morning. First walk of dogs. I thought key fob was in pocket, pressed rear gate open button, alarm toning & lights flashing. No fob in pocket. Horrible noise blares while I run to fetch fob. Finally noise stops.

Bad guys can steal the car and not a sound. I touch the car and all hell breaks loose.

3 Likes

I had a friend who locked herself out on a tiny 3rd floor balcony when the wind slammed the automatically locking door shut behind her. She had nothing with her out there- no credit cards or anything she could use to jimmy open the door, no phone.

I just happened to decide to swing by and visit her after she had been out there for about an hour, on the verge of screaming loudly for help (there were no houses right next door). Luckily the downstairs door was unlocked, so I rescued her.

She had long, wavy hair and I called her Rapunzel for weeks after that.

2 Likes

Always a horrible idea.

1 Like

They are the most common types of door locks here in Mexico. Exterior doors do not usually have a door knob, just the key mechanism. They are mechanically simple locks- a box attached to the inside of the door where a turn of the key retracts the latch, and if the key is turned twice the other way, engages the deadbolt. There is a small screw which you can hand tighten down from the inside to secure the latch in place- either open or closed. Had she retracted the latch and tightened that screw down, even if the door had slammed shut, the latch wouldn’t have engaged and she could have simply pushed the door open.

More modern or expensive builds have what we are accustomed to with a proper door handle or knob, but what I described is what is the traditional type of lock here.

1 Like

I know the feeling very well.