Responding to Reviews - don't!

There was an earlier discussion on precisely this point, which I initiated. Do you want the link?

1 Like

Yes please send link

1 Like

It does seem a bit pat-everyone-on-the-back overboard when I read some of the responses. Like listening to beauty pageant winner speeches. :wink:

1 Like

Ok. It’s Routinely replying to guest review - yes or no?

1 Like

Or politicians!!! :confounded::heart_eyes_cat::robot::alien:

2 Likes

Or show business folks. They can often be particularly vomit-inducing.

1 Like

For “Better off Ted” fans, if there are any…“Good news, Ted, everybody loves everybody”

Oh gawd tooooo funny. Yes.

I’m coming up blank on that particular cultural reference.

This isn’t the episode I was referring to; I can’t find that one. And the quality is not great. But it gives you an idea. So happy to add to your education of American culture :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @dcmooney,

Thanks for the link. The US sure does make a lot of TV shows. Imagine what all those people could do if they were engaged in useful productive work instead of promoting morbid obesity and beer drinking. (Sorry, I’m in a snarky mood today.)

I also hate this relatively new Youtube thing of having a mini screen-within-a-screen. I might as well be trying to watch the clip on a phone.

1 Like

Ha - isn’t that true? I would also say they promote a lot of other things that are bad for our society. We don’t even have an antannea attached (except for when my son wants to watch American football). The last time I watched a broadcast tv show I was shocked by some horrifying violence against a child. Never again.

If you watch this episode you’ll see a funny little bit about loving math.
Phil: "If she (math) were to take human form I would leave my wife and marry her…"
Lem: “Stand in line, my friend”.

Agreed.

Yes, I’ve been watching it. It’s actually quite funny. Then again, I’m easily amused…

In particular, a company not wanting to admit it made a mistake in writing a memo telling employees to insult each other - well, that’s truth in humor, that is.

1 Like

I keep a spreadsheet that records info about guests, who left a review, where they’re from etc. as well as the financial stuff. It’s quite useful.

It must be my advanced age, but the personality of the guest flies out of my head almost as soon as they leave. I look at my past reservations and see Mark Skye or Laura and I can’t remember them!

1 Like

Ah, good to know :slight_smile:
bumble bumble! (post must be 20 charcs)

That was such a huge switch for me - to feeling so connected to guests and having such fond memories - to not remembering who-was-who. Well, after 50 or so guests, that’s the way it goes.

There is a hotel in my town in the Catskills that often gets bad reviews on Yelp, Google and Trip Advisor and owner will go on long, LONG rants about what was wrong with the guest and how he does not want people like that at his hotel. It is hilarious. The guy and his hotel were even on Hotel Impossible and it was a big issue on the show. The host even said “you should not be in the hospitality business.”

I think of that every time I see a response to a negative comment, especially a defensive one, which you should never, ever, EVER DO.

Reminds me of Amy’s Baking Company. Know what I’m talking about?

1 Like

I am vaguely aware that that is a famous episode of Kitchen Nightmares – and yes, it was probably the same thing. I don’t wanna call out the guy here, but it really - it is hilarious.