Requests for refund

Yes, I am worried about that…

Keep in mind that the Resolution Center will always suggest you give the guest at least some money back. It doesn’t cost AirBnB anything, and increases the chance that the guest will use AirBnB again and make them money again. Just because they suggested it does not mean you are obligated by the TOS to do it - although it is possible they would have given some of your money back to her if you didn’t.

I encourage you to always get a clean explanation from the CS rep of what you are required to do compared to what they would like you to do.

5 Likes

What does everyone think about just stating the obvious in house rules: "This property is in the country / in a warm climate / in the jungle /… and it is possible some insects/mice/mosquitos/ants may be present.

2 Likes

I think those service people receive quotas or guidelines, and one of the ways they test the good will of the host is if you give up some money to the guest.

Am I wrong to just chalk it up to part of the cost of doing business on airbnb in return for the high volume of reservations I’m getting?

I know it hurts expecially when guest is dishonest, but I’d just give the 75 dollars and try to forget about it. Of course it depends if your room was rented 50 dollars a night for a 2 day stay, 75 is a lot.

Tell the guests you were trying to supply a true country experience for them and apologize for being too authentic. Send the mouse to a taxidermist to have it stuffed and mounted. Then mail it your guests as a souvenir of their stay.

12 Likes

I think requesting a refund is crazy.

I just got back from staying in an Airbnb villa in Canguu, Bali. As I was sitting down having a cup of tea at breakfast time, a huge rat scarpered into the kitchen and then into the shrubbery behind me. I was startled, but I didn’t even mention it to the host. Why would I? The villa is set out to be essential covered outdoors areas. Only the bedrooms were ‘inside’ — everything else was open with a ceiling.

Different climate, but essentially the same reason. The mouse (rat in my case) is there because of the location and it’s perfectly natural for it to be so. If it were in an apartment on the 7th floor of a city, of course it would be a different situation.

Stand your ground! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

“A Rat In Bali” … Sounds like a new Netflix adventure!

1 Like

I’m in Hawaii where we have unexpected houseguests like ants, cockroaches, lizards, flies, frogs, mice, chickens, and the list goes on. In my house rules I state that we have routine extermination services and the presence of insects is not unusual or grounds for refund.

3 Likes

Charge them extra for “Wildlife Viewing” .

6 Likes

That’s a good idea! We are in the Caribbean in an open-air house (no glass over the windows), and we have geckos that live in the house. We like them - they eat the bugs! But there is no way we can keep insects, etc, from being in the house.

2 Likes

We have a country farmhouse as well, and have listed in the field that asks for anything else guests should know about the property. Coyotes, racoons, deer, mice, opossum, bees, insects, anything that you might see in the country, so they have been warned that its a possibility these critters might be near. Yes even bees and insects. I have read about crazy guests wanting a refund due to bees in the garden.

2 Likes

Uh oh @jaquo that would be me…as long as critters are in their environment, I leave them alone. Come in the house—it is extermination time, except crickets. Crickets are gently captured & placed outside.

2 Likes

I used to think that about crickets until my exterminator told me they are sorpions’ primary food source.

I don’t know why I place crickets outside. When I was a child my mother insisted. Although she’s been gone almost 7 years, I guess it is my way of honoring her.

4 Likes

I have a long disclosure in the “about the neighborhood” section where I tell them the long distance to the nearest hospital, remind them about the possibility of insect stings, and tell them to bring an ample supply of allergy rescue medication because there is no 24 hour pharmacy in the area.

I know “people don’t read” but it’s there and a lot of people do read and hopefully it reminds them to pack the epi-pen or inhaler. I try to really get in the city brain because while most of our guests are repeat area visitors, a lot of people have never left a city and just don’t know what country life is about.

1 Like

Because it’s bad luck to kill them.

1 Like

but worse luck to get stung by a scorp :smiley:

1 Like

After my last guest (see thread about the swiffer) I have added 2 sections to my house rules to my house rules: “Bugs”, and “Hair and Sand” .

Under Bugs I say this is a warm climate, there can be bugs inside and outside the property, we provide bug spray and ant traps if they run out during your stay please buy at the store and we will reimburse you. If the possible presence of an insect is a problem for you please don’t book this property.

Under hair and sand I say that any complaints about finding a stray hair or some grains of sand in the property must be made within 2 hours of checking in. Otherwise people sleep in the apartment, find their own hair and sand, and make a complaint!

I also added a mention I do not claim to have an allergen free space and despite our best efforts it is possible that a stray hair might be found. And if this is a problem for you please find another place to book.

2 Likes

I know this is an older post, but I just went through this in the past 24 hours so feeling a little raw… Property is in Incline Village, NV. A new listing but I am not new to hosting - had a property in Los Gatos, CA that I hosted for 20 years, first on VRBO and later when Airbnb started. So this property is a Classic Tahoe A-Frame. I listed it on Airbnb end of June. Have had 2 guests early July - no issues. New Guest checked in last night - got frantic texts at 11pm about Mice, they saw one in the afternoon and then a couple in the evening. Incline Village, NV is also country - bears, coyotes, all kinds of critters. Anyway, they decided to leave at midnight. I have fully refunded ($2500!) My husband went up this morning and set 12 traps and put in those silly Ultrasonic things. But I am concerned - I have 10 bookings coming up. Do I add something to my listing to say anything about critters? Signed Kim (frustrated and dismayed…)

Our listing is Classic A Frame Cabin - Smokin’ Lake Tahoe View! (I guess I can’t share the link…)