Requested late check in

Yes, when other hosts cavalierly advise other hosts to arrange self-check-in, they don’t seem to be able to conceive of other hosting situations that don’t lend themselves to self-check-in at all. It’s like they are only relating it to the fact that it’s no big deal for them to offer it. A bush snake outside the guest door would never enter their minds.

My place is hard to find so I pick guests up at the bus station, an 8 minute drive for me. If they were to get a cab, the taxi drivers get lost- there are no street signs, and none of the house numbers go in any discernible order. So if a guest arrived late by taxi and I had gone to bed, I’d probably get woken up by an “I’m lost” phone call anyway.
My doors don’t even have knobs or latch handles. So no way to put a key pad on them. They are hand-wrought metal, with just a key lock. You turn the key and the door pops open. so the guest needs to be given a key and shown how the lock works.

There’s few street lights, and the one across from my house, that I’ve always hated, because it shines in the guest room, necessitating black-out curtains, and is a detriment to seeing the stars, burnt out in the last electrical brown-out. I’m happy about that, but it’s DARK out here for a guest arriving late.

I don’t have bush snakes, or other big dangerous or scary creatures, but there are scorpions. If guests don’t keep their shoes and clothes off the floor or shake them out before putting on, they could get a nasty and painful surprise. if they have food in their room or empty chip bags or cookie wrappers, the ants will move in, quickly.

And there’s a whole bunch of other stuff that makes it not viable for guests to check themselves in. In fact, I think guests would be confused and feel uncomfortable here to do so. I’ve had some guests who’ve travelled extensively in Mexico, and or live in the countryside at home, off grid, and are capable of figuring things out for themselves, but the majority are out of their normal element.

And I imagine most homeshare hosts who share indoor space with guests wouldn’t feel comfortable with some stranger letting themselves in for the first time when the host is asleep or not home. If they have a completely separate studio or guest house, that’s different. And once I’ve checked a guest in, oriented them as to where everything is and how it works, and am confident that they know how to unlock and lock the main door and their bedroom door, they are free to come and go as they please, regardless of whether I’m asleep, or out.

2 Likes

I agree. If its your home you are sharing, its very different. Who would want to let someone in to your home late at night while you are asleep and you haven’t even met them? Just for host and host house safety that seems clear. In fact, it could presumably be a very different kettle of fish. You could have more than one person arrive etc and set yourself up for issues!

1 Like

I’m echoing that self-check in is often not optimal. Technically, I could make it happen, but I live in a dense area, where the houses are terraced and sound pollution can be an issue. In eight years I’ve never had a complaint about the behaviour of my guests, and I believe that’s because I meet them at the door, look them in the eye, wave around at the things they have access to, show them that the neighbours’ bedroom windows are 3m from the large view terrace which seems to be the property’s main selling point (and that I’m a level below), alert them to the bylaws about outdoor speakers, and (because it’s Cape Town/South Africa) answer their questions about security. Bad behaviour thrives on anonymity, so I am never just a digital presence to them.

2 Likes

I am in a home-share situation and although the keys to my Guest Suite are in a lockbox, I specifically state in my rules that all Guests that will be staying will be verified at check-in. I do state that this will be brief and to check their Government-issued ID matches the name(s) on the reservation. I need to know who is on my property, and this allows no room for additional Guests to be on the property without your knowledge (at least on the first day). I truly believe that when Guests assume they can check-in at any time of the day regardless of the times stated on the listing, there is a sense of entitlement and disrespect, which speaks volumes as to the type of Guest they will be.

I have a House Rules section about check-in. It states: “Any late check-ins must be approved by the Host in advance and will be subject to a late check-in fee of 25.00. There is absolutely no check-in after 11:30 pm.” I need to sleep so I am not going to stay up all night waiting for Guests.

We have a lot going on with our City with STR and many of the political arguments are about Hosts not knowing who is really on their properties. To me, the more Hosts are willing to verify Guests and know who is staying on their properties, the more the city and its residents will support STR property owners. It also makes it easier for law enforcement if something should happen on your property and you know for sure who is staying there. It’s just one more thing we can do to keep our neighborhoods safe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe there is also something psychological that goes on when a guest gets personally checked in by the host (or co-host). Guests will tend to be more respectful of the property and in communication when they have met a host face to face than if the host is some faceless, online entity.

It can also lead to better reviews. It’s harder to leave a litany of complaints if you had a personal interaction with a host and they were friendly and nice. No human contact means a guest can post a review without really considering how it might affect the person behind the accommodation, just like no one thinks twice about leaving a 1* review for something they ordered on Amazon that fell apart the third time they used it.

4 Likes

Which is why it is so counterproductive for Airbnb to push self-check-in, remote hosting, etc. Even if their data collection shows that the majority of guests prefer self-check-in, that doesn’t mean it’s a good feature for the future of the company.

All their data collection and what they try to push on hosts always seems be centered around what guests want. But when disturbed neighbors push for Airbnbs to be majorly restricted, and they are, how does that help guests or Airbnb?

2 Likes

@muddy I totally agree. I always remind Guests that they would not be checking into a Hotel without providing their ID, so my home should not be any different. I have been told that because so many cities are pushing that Hosts know who is on their property at all times, that Airbnb is starting to encourage Hosts to greet Guests at check-in and check IDs. Hopefully, this will become standard going into the future for STR.

2 Likes

My favorite hosting experience was my first in AZ, the guest apartment was part of my house and I met every single person that stayed there. Gave everyone the tour when they arrived and then sometimes had some great connections with the guests.
My 2nd in VA was the height of Covid I and it was part of my house but they came into a private entrance and I did not meet them. There were some that I talked to in the yard and a few in the beginning that I shared coffee/wine with on the porch but other than that I felt like I was the cleaner and that was it. Lost a lot of my drive.
Moved again and if I could have found an appropriate house I would still be doing STR but that didn’t happen. Besides that I think Airbnb has taken a real downhill path and has become really unpredictable.

1 Like

Awesome way of looking at it.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. We are sitting at 978 reviews right now, and i can honestly say that either my wife or i have greeted every single guest who has stayed with us. This is so important to us that we mention this in the opening paragraph of our listing, letting guests know that if this is something they don’t want to do, then we probably aren’t a good fit! Our check in is “anytime after 3:00” with no cut off, which means i literally get out of bed to great guests at all hours of the night. (we request a text message when they are 20 minutes away which gives me time to get up and get ready) We are always amazed that in our reviews many times more is said about us as hosts than anything else! When a host becomes a “living, breathing human” it typically bodes well for all involved.

3 Likes

My apartment is in a block where the majority are managed by a corporate STR company. So there is a receptionist there from about 8am to 8pm daily.

The building itself has a locked entrance accessed via a NFC tag but during reception hours, that’s not needed of course.

My apartment is not part of that group but I take advantage of their presence since my guests can enter the building in those hours and go to my apartment and access the apartment with a keypad deadbolt. I provide a NFC tag for the guest in the apartment.

If the guest indicates they are arriving late, I place the tag in a lockbox outside the building (similar to what realtors do), and provide a code to the lockbox. So the guest can theoretically check-in at any time until their departure date :slight_smile: I do ask them to remove the lockbox if they cope with that simple process and leave it on the dining room table and most seem to be able to do that.