Request to view before booking

Just. Say. No. I’ve had 2 sets of guests walk in and “want a tour” on their arrival date at check in time. Both said “OK, we’ll take it.” My answer was “Good, because you’ve paid for it already!” Both sets of guests were complete PITAs.

Many people, not even new to Air, think they can come in, not like it, and get their money back. Nope.

4 Likes

I will gladly let them preview my unit before booking a long term rental as long as we can find a time for them to view between other guests.

In the off-season, monthly rentals are needed so I can meet the bills.

To stay in a place 30 days or multiple times over a series of weeks can be difficult on a guest if they don’t like the place. It gives them a sense of confidence and me too they will be happy in the rental.

Lots of “no’s” on this thread. I tend to have a different style than some of the other experienced hosts and that’s ok. They do what works for them and vice versa. That’s the beauty of Airbnb hosting; it is personal.

2 Likes

I say no to someone booking multiple short stays. But I wouldn’t say no to a tenant which is a 30 day plus stay.

2 Likes

Interestingly, this month I have had a rash of long term inquiries and requests for basically October through November and October through December. Not one has asked to see the place first. In fact I had so many people that I ended up with one that showed as canceled and as withdrawn (both on same person but in different places in their info complaining that airbnb said they did it to him because his photo was fuzzy. I think it just so happens that he tried to book at the same exact MOMENT that someone else did and thus it got blocked. Although Airbnb glitched as is often the case and therefor didn’t say “Not Possible” or maybe even “Expired” like it has in the last.

Thank you for the very helpful feedback, everyone. I wrote back and said a pre-viewing wasn’t available, but that I would be happy to address any concerns the potential guest may have. Didn’t hear anything after that. Aside from what others had mentioned about 1-2 days mid-week prohibiting other bookings, I also realized that even trying to set up an appointment when the room was free (it’s a busy college town with lots of comings and goings) would be difficult.

Thanks again. Love this forum.

5 Likes

Airbnb doesn’t like it as they won’t get paid, and if they find out about it I think they can de-list you. From their point of view, their advertising got you this guest. Also they wont help you if there’s a problem, although there are mixed reviews about how much help they are if there is a problem. I wouldn’t do it for a first time booking although I have been asked often, and I wouldn’t show a guest the room before booking either - I’d suggest they book one night and if they don’t like it, don’t book again. Usually the guest asking for this is trying to get a discount.

1 Like

Hi Kchatain, and welcome back.

I have had requests to book 1-2 nights a week. They often come up when people are commuting from another city to attend school, at least in my case.

It is entirely possible that this person will stretch this into 3-4 nights a week, thus circumventing your monthly rate. Even if they don’t keep their stuff there (“it’s just a suitcase!”) They will jam up your other longer term opportunities.

They know, as you do, that they can book for 2 nights to check it out. But that costs money. In all likelihood they have put the same enquiry to several hosts.

They probably want to deal direct with you. You, meanwhile, waste an hour of your time when you can be booked with a keystroke.

In other words, they probably want to break the rules. And they are cheap. Cheap guests are unbearable.

Today if I am going to preview a room, I host an event targeted at longer term direct guests. I cluster them all at once - at my convenience. It’s just good business.

There is good news though. If you are getting a query like this now, that means you have a market for commuters. Sharpen your pencil on the monthly rate for them on Air. They are great guests!

The way you say it sounds like they are making out better but really not true since most hosts have a cheaper monthly rate.

Understood. But even with this in mind, they will back out commissions, etc.