Request to come early

A timed smart lock (such as Lockstate models) that sync with your airbnb account would mean you could send the code at any time, but they would not be able to enter before your check in. It’s one less thing to worry about.

In advance of what? I wouldn’t book a place that only sent the door code an hour before check-in because that would mean that if anything happened with my phone, like it ran out of charge, I wouldn’t be able to get in. So if that wasn’t actually mentioned in the listing, I’d be pretty upset.

4 Likes

Never been an issue- we send all the house details days before including the info about door code being shared a few hours before their stay and if someone brought it up then we could figure it out. (edit: we also live somewhere with cell reception but only accessible by car. Since we’re just a few hours from NYC, everyone uses their phone for directions so has been a non-issue)

3 Likes

I send my code at least the day before since people are traveling it’s nice to know before they arrive.
I had a not so funny thing setting mine up with the code, I accidentally changed it and did not know to what. I went on Youtube to see if I could figure out how to set it back. I watched and followed instructions many times, before it clicked and finally opened. Hoping not to do that again, but said to a friend, I wonder how many people that have bad intentions know how to do just that and get the key. Youtube has helped me many times.
I’ve decided not to leave the key in until I’m setting up for the next person.

The reason some of us send the code late the day of is because people arrive and let themselves in. I had that happen once with a man who didn’t communicate at all (ask for early check in or tell me when he would arrive,) but arrived around noon. I wasn’t even quite done prepping the room.

I’ve ordered a smart lock. Codes that don’t work until check in time are great.

2 Likes

Although I have longer stays now because of Covid, I still greet guests in person. I’m masked and I carry other masks in case the guests don’t have them.

Maintaining social distancing, I show the guests to their apartment and that’s when they get the code and not before. The code is changed for each guest. There are a lot of random code generators online that we can use.

It’s much more secure than using the last four digits of the phone number.

1 Like

This is a new thing for me. In my other rental, in a small town, pre Covid, I met them at my door and then gave them a tour of the rental. If I wasn’t there, I just left the door open.
I’ll think about it, don’t want people showing up early unless I know ahead.

You mentioned birds and AZ. Were you near the Chiricahua Mountains?

No, southeast of Tucson, higher elevation, Patagonia, 18 miles from the border with Nogales. Hardly anyone, except birders know about it, but did meet someone here in VA that’s been there.
What kind of smart lock? Want to check them out.

1 Like

I don’t add their code until I have double inspected the room. I send an AirBnB room ready message with the code when I do.

2 Likes

Smart! 100% We MOSTLY do in-person check-ins so usually not an issue.

When we do self-check-in, we just set the lockbox with the last 4 digits of the guest’s phone # (easy).

This would never be done until close to check-in. Last thing we would want is some guest showing up hours early before everything is ready and clean!

2 Likes

I include “respect for check-in and checkout times” in my house rules. I tell guests who ask in advance for early check-in they should book the night before. Had I been in your situation and the guest just shows up (which probably wouldn’t happen because of aforementioned house rule), and the place was ready, I might have been tempted to do the same as you did. I have never charged for an early check-in or late checkout, but my house rules state these activities MAY incur additional fees in case I ever do feel a need to charge

2 Likes

Hosts want 5 star reviews, what you did is a reason to earn one.

But arrived at 6am ? Accidently? That’s weird.

THIS!! Yes! I had a “bathrobe experience”, with early arriving, non-communicative guests. First and last time for that awkwardness. They get the code day-of-check-in and only after confirming check-in time.

2 Likes

That’s your fault then.

Ensuring your phone has enough charge when travelling to an airbnb is your responsibility

1 Like

My fault? I’ve never travelled as a guest, but I anticipate situations guests might find themselves in.

Maybe everyone who books your place drives there, but some of my guests have spent up to 8 hours in transit, on planes and buses, with nowhere to charge up their phone.

I simply wouldn’t book a place myself if the host refused to give the door code until the day of check in.

I send out the door code almost as soon as the guest books, but the door code doesn’t work until check-in time.

3 Likes

Perfect. Works for folks like me who like all their ducks in a row ahead of time when they travel, yet prevents anyone from trying to check in early.

1 Like

Most planes these days have charging ports or outlets. But people that don’t travel much might not know that, so it is possible they run out of battery while watching movies on the plane

Our guests can’t get near to Tiny Tiki until they follow me up the road and through the private locked gate. Occaisionally they are delayed on their way to the meet place, but it’s not really a bummer because I’m flexible, almost no one asks for early check in. I open text conversation/ reminder 3-7 checkin window, meet address the day before , they love not worrying about the last mile. No self check in.