Renting to dog owners. Your thoughts?

We started with a pet-friendly policy because we look after dogs in our part of the property. We only had one guest stay with her dog and that worked out fine, but subsequent enquiries didn’t meet our standards: Guests wanted to leave their dog in the suite unattended instead of using our doggie daycare services. A dog in an unfamiliar place is unpredictable, ranging from barking, to destruction of property, to eliminating indoors. And then there’s the extra cleaning! One situation led to our policy reversal: A couple made a long booking and only then inquired about the our pet requirements which were clearly outlined in the listing. They opened a ticket with ABB to get their fees back. ABB refunded them, but it was a hassle for all concerned. It was then I changed our policy to NO PETS.

1 Like

I like dogs as much as anyone… But when it comes to your listing JUST SAY NO! They cause extra mess, aromas, and take up as much resources as a human guest.

2 Likes

Ha! They’re lucky you let them in with the calf!!
No pet rule for me.

We accept dogs. The rental has tiled floors with no rugs. We supply throws for the dogs if they are likely to go onto the bed or sofas. We also supply dog treats, a dog bed, feeding bowls and those bags for disposing of dog poop :slight_smile:

I recently had a guest with four (albeit tiny) dogs! I’ve never found that dog hair is a problem.

1 Like

Most large dogs, especially those of huge breeds, are calmer than small dogs. Giant breeds like Newfoundlands and Great Danes are known for how much they enjoy sleeping. I assume that if a place is pet friendly and doesn’t specify a size limit that my large dogs are welcome.

Yes, but I expect guests to tell us upfront.
If a place is child friendly, should a guest assume they can take them unannounced and free of charge?

It appeared from your mentioning the dog being “the size of a calf” more than once, that the dog being large was a problem for you.

I often get the excuse: “Oh it is just a small one”. With these size dogs there are no excuses.

In this case it was not a problem, but I have refused bookings once or twice on the size and amount of dogs. 4 adults and 3 dogs in a small space is not a good fit. I rather refuse the booking than have unhappy guests.

With large dogs I also inform my guests about the amount of stairs, because they can be a problem especially for the large and heavy ones.