Regretting my review

It’s true. I couldn’t wait for him to leave. I should have lied and said I had other guests checking in right away, but stupid me, I have no filter and admitted the night was available…me and my cursed honesty! I would make a terrible politician.

1 Like

Guests know this and that’s why they ask for favors in person rather than by text. Manipulative much?

It’s so true. And, there are few feelings worse than that nagging feeling of knowing you’ve just been sucker-punched. “What just happened?” Ugh…thank god he’s gone. Looking forward to leaving a scathing review at the end of the window.

2 Likes

I’m just revving up for my first. Can someone remind me? Is it the last minute of the host’s time frame or the guests? They were from the opposite coast so will the time difference count?

I hear you jack on sometimes doing too much but what the heck, at least being too kind speaks volumes about our good nature. It sounds like the fellow’s principal sin is that he formed a fantasy in his mind that had no chance of materializing, and then proved a blessed annoying bore. I would cut him a break, he could use one. He has enough problems. Now if he has the audacity to initiate a review first, well…

1 Like

Haha. You’re so kind. But, this is business. There is nothing in my listing to suggest that we’re renting a guest room with “happy endings.” I think he’s got a screw loose or something, and other hosts need to be warned.

2 Likes

True. Along that line of thinking I would say that the fellow is exceptionally emotionally needy (aka exhausting), that should spook most hosts.

2 Likes

That’s a good way of summarizing him. I’m going to borrow your phrase when I polish up the review. Thanks!

What did you do to lead him on? :laughing:

1 Like

@jackulas – Speaking of “happy endings”, was your guest the one who wore a teensy towel to the table which didn’t cover “Mr. Happy”? I don’t know if I have the right host but come to think of it…maybe it was the host who lives in the desert and sleeps in his closet.

I’m not even sure what my point is except my mind has been caught on that “Mr. Happy” comment all this while.

I really need to get out more.

2 Likes

Well, we’ve had various and sundry answers. But for me it was midnight in the guest time zone. Yes, the time zone does count so you may have to get up in the middle of the night to do it. Just have it already written so all you have to do is cut and paste, and then submit.

1 Like

No that was @J_Wang!!! LOL!!!

I was the one who had the Chinese Mr. Happy at the breakfast table. He was a very odd little guy–the Chinese fellow. And Mr. Happy was an unexpected guest for sure. :))))

I do sleep in my closet, but in Long Beach, CA where I host people in my lovely living room. There’s also a condo in Palm Desert I rent out too.

@jackulas My sympathies on the difficult situation. I think this review is way too long and a bit repetitive. Here’s a possible shorter version:

“Mr. X was an odd guest, sending highly flirtatious and suggestive messages in advance of his arrival. We ignored these inappropriate messages but he was nevertheless disappointed when he realized that the hosts were not included in the price of the room. Once here he moped about the house all week, NEVER going out anywhere after having flown half way across the world. Even though he was difficult to host, I tried to help him by giving a discount on an additional night’s stay, although he seemed to have exhausted his travel budget. I regret doing so and would not host him again.”

My edit removes much of your humor. I’m a great fan of it but I’ve learned that a lot of people don’t understand sarcastic humor. Calling him weird or saying why he was whining wouldn’t help me evaluate him as a possible guest. And you might come across as insulting him because he’s gay instead of because he’s odd.

3 Likes

HAHA! No, thank GOD! He limited his suggestive behavior to verbal. (Counting my lucky stars it wasn’t worse than it was.)

2 Likes

You are so right, and I agree 100% that much of it was really my venting to all of you, because I knew you’d be sympathetic. I’ll ultimately write something a lot more succinct which just gives the three points why he was a strange guest to put other hosts on notice. Thanks for the input!

5 Likes

Not sure. There must be something about my profile picture that says “Cheap and easy good time.” Hahahahahahaha…

3 Likes

I’m the same way… but I learned to create a half-truth by blocking the following day(s) on the calendar, so that the guest couldn’t extend. At least I could honestly say that the dates weren’t available. They don’t need to know why - I could have another guest or be leaving town. It’s really none of their business.

2 Likes

Agreed. As I often say one of the things I love about this biz is that you can say ‘sorry we’re unable to accommodate you on that night’ and that’s all you need to do.