Refunding guest for part stay under moderate policy fiasco!

I’m sure I cannot be the only one who has experienced trying to refund 50% of one night (under moderate policy rules) to a guest who wanted to leave a night early.
My guest was very happy with his stay, but, due to unforeseen circumstances, he needed to leave the day before the end of his stay. He did not ask for a refund, but, as a conscientious host, I wanted to do the right thing.
I first tried to do it with an alteration, but that would only allow me to refund a whole night, not 50%, so I had to resort to calling Air. After lots of to-ing and fro-ing, they said the only way this could be done would be by cancelling the whole booking and then reducing my payout by the 50% for one night. So it now looks like this guy never stayed and I am not at all sure he will be able to leave a review, which I think would have been very good. I have been given a link to leave a review for him, but cannot believe the clunky way this had to be done.
Anyone else found a better method for future reference?

Next time just send the guest money through the resolution center.

4 Likes

Yes, I get that, but that would not open up my calendar, which wasn’t important for one night, but certainly would be if it was for several.

Why didn’t you send money to guest through Airbnb. There’s an option on the dashboard, you click on “request or send money.”

@triciatav I believe the best way might be to have the guest cancel his last night by doing a change request and you accepting it and then refund him through the resolution center, the amount you want to refund. When he cancels his last night (by changing the reservation on his end) it will open up your date so that you can re-book. Someone else on here with more experience may have a better idea but this would be what I would try, I think it’s the solution.

2 Likes

@JJD, you used to be able to alter reservations mid-stay, but I don’t think you can do that any longer.

At least the last couple times we’ve had to add an extra guest last minute (ie. at arrival) it’s required a call to CS.

1 Like

I think you are right that this is the best solution.
But maybe I should just have ignored trying to refund him, as he hadn’t asked. He had already booked another stay before I had tried to give him a refund ! LOL

1 Like

Quite honestly I can see no reason to refund the guest. He simply couldn’t stay why should you be out financially because of this.

Doing the right thing as a host includes looking after your business.

6 Likes

I had this issue come up recently when a guest wanted to add a night and I sent a special price (didn’t want the cleaning fee added twice) and I called CS. That wasn’t fun. They don’t “math” well…

1 Like

I agree with @Helsi you are not a travel insurance company, the guest did not ask for a refund. Why should you be out of pocket because of your guests unforeseen issues?

RR

2 Likes