Recommending and Selling products to guests. Anyone using something useful?

I think a generic website for Airbnb’rs wouldn’t work as guests are likely to want to purchase products made by a host or made locally.

It’s fairly easy to set up on your own website (Wordpress is good for non techies) and has e-commerce plug ins.

Your starting point is to see if the products that you want to sell have an affiliate programme and will offer you items such as product shots you can use.

2 Likes

Keep in mind this may not be the best… as it is reported as part of your total earnings with Airbnb that year and that may not be the way you want to classify sales or business income, since some of us are advised to file schedule E.

1 Like

True but bummer. Could be the easier and safest way to go about payments. I guess using direct PayPal/Venmo could work as well.

Setting up a Square to take credit cards is super easy and more convenient for the buyer.

1 Like

That could be in addition. Many do the VENMO these days. It’s so common. And PayPal can be used world wide too.

Better to get the card directly and avoid the middleman. Paypal international fees are outrageous.

1 Like

Any idea how much? I know Square chargers 3.5% I pay on PayPal 2.5%

Yes, I think you’re correct. I’ll provably start off with a shopify for just California hosts and see how that works out. Thanks so much for your help!

I use Izettle for my stuff. Brilliant thing. Can take all credit cards and it links direct to my bank account.

How about configuring your Wifi with a Splash page on connect?
You can use that to advertise a city pass, a product or anything of your liking.

You can even add ads with promotions to local businesses. Earning comissions from those.

I would glady help anyone who is interested.
Beware that toying around with someone’s router requires some amount of trust.
I have been doing so for a few years now in my local area.

Example:

advifi(dot)com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/wifi-advertising-explained-w1fi-dot-com.jpg

this thread is awesome. right in line with what i had in mind.

i have a digital guestbook with all info like parking and wifi etc.

now i have only one product in that guestbook as well, which is a furniture piece.
i wanted to maybe add smart home stuff and cosmetics (also in this guestbook).

guests can review that and shop the products if they like. I can make an affiliate if I know the brand for example.

Has anyone else done something similar and experience with this?

@stauber-markus what did I tell you about resurrecting old topics…

JF

1 Like