Recently purchased property and previous owner

When I sold my next to the last house where I’d Airbnb’d it for 3+years I made sure my last guests were before the closing date. I moved in the spring past the high season.
The new owners set it up on Air with everything new.
Absolutely no connection to me.

4 Likes

I thought this was an interesting way one realty company is handling STR transitions w/ existing bookings. It doesn’t help the seller host w/ Air penalties but it seems to put the buying host in a good starting position and honors booked guests appropriately.

You’d think Air would assist a host who is trying to take care of guests in this way by forgiving all penalties as long as the guest has the chance to rebook the same place at the same rates & policies.

If I’d been selling to a buyer interested in hosting, like you @bearcatbert1029 , I’d have helped you get going as an incentive to get into this agreement maybe in exchange for paying my cancellation fees for each reservation that rebooks with you (if Air didn’t waive but sounds like they may based on @LCL comment). Win-win?

Speaking of sales contract addenda, I periodically check real estate listings in Philadelphia, US, as I have property there.

Looks like a seller is proposing to charge for transfer of existing Airbnb & VRBO accounts as part of a property sale. How would that work? Unless it’s referring to the rebooking process with a new owner.

It’s a nice-looking duplex, 308 S. Quince St. Listing description says “The profitable Airbnb/VRBO accounts, along with the quality furnishings throughout the home, can all be sold separately.”

I don’t think that can happen in every state. A friend considered selling her rental & wanted $75,000 for the bookings made through 12/22. Realtors told her that was not enforceable because contracts were with her & guests can cancel or not agree to rent from new owner.

Similarly my neighbor got stuck because his rental contract with a property management company said if he sold, the new owner had to honor existing bookings. It’s not enforceable

Most rentals have a busy season. Unless there is a financial emergency, I don’t understand why not stopping bookings at end of season then selling—but I’m not selling so I’m not in their shoes

Absolute lunacy. This is what happens when salespeople (“real estate agents”) try to get involved with contract law.
They have no business doing so, and should stick to their usual lines (“look at this LOVELY KITCHEN! There is so much natural light and counter space!”).

The addendum would literally be invalid with most (all?) OTAs vs the sellers agreement to OTA ToS.

I’m not a lawyer, but I’d bet it’s not enforceable in any state.

Plus, what buyer would agree to pay extra for STR bookings when they can just do their own listing after purchase? Not to mention Airbnb probably states somewhere that its platform listing contract with the original owner is non-transferable. Though I imagine they might have a process to transfer Airbnb hotel or other commercial property bookings if the enterprise is sold to a new company.

Fascinating the myriad ways people try to make a buck!

2 Likes