Recent Smart Lock Recommendations Anyone?

Vera controller and Yale ZWave lock. I control everything remotely and get the added bonus of being able to control additional things in the house as needed for guests (Nest as an example).

I gave up the idea of remote lock because Insurance company will not cover my house if have those lock. I hope in the future there will be remote locks approved by insurance companies

1 Like

When guest arrive at the hotel, they can open the door lock by the mobile phone APP. As long as the guest has booked the room online, Bonwin smart wireless lock can be done for your hotel. Learn more about this lock:
http://www.bonwinlocks.com/Products/hotelwirelesslock.html

hey it looks like this thread is a bit dated and I hope you found a good product, but if not you might want to take a lookup rapitt which takes a whole a new approach to key-handling.
(full disclosure: I am one of the makers.)-

The way it works is you can drop-off the key to your apartment at a nearby store or local business shop that have signed up with the app and send a copy of the app to the guest whoā€™s authorized to pick up the key. The app guides the guest to the store where the key is currently at and informs you for confirmation when a key handover is happening so that you can be sure only the intended person gets the key. All of this viewable and tracked in real-time.

this feature is currently in internal testing currently but if you like to try it before release, DM me, and Iā€™ll be happy to help you.

There are so many out there with many different features sometimes it is hard to decide. For example, if I were to get a smart lock, I would want one with bluetooth or wifi ability to walk up to it with my smartphone in my pocket and the door will automatically unlock. It would not necessary need to have a guest mode. It would nice to have an app with notification every time someone open or attempts to open the door whether it be a key or a code.

I have Schlage BE365ā€™s installed but the problem is that guests go out and forget to lock the door behind them and therefore changing at least one to the Schlage BE469 which I can also integrate with my ZWave system and can customize as much as I like.

I use the August Smart Locks. Have upgraded a few from 2nd generation to 3rd with Door Sense so that I can turn off nest heat/air conditioning if the door is open too long. I use them with the connect hub for remote access.

I also like Turbolocks for individual rooms and sheds and am considering the Bluetooth smart ones that I can access remotely as well. Both turbolocks are very cost effective.

Why in the world would you do this? Just make the last 4 digits of the guestā€™s phone number the code, and delete it when she leaves. Easier for guests to remember the code, too.

1 Like

We are old school, using keypad entry with deadbolts. I would love to have them on the rooms, too. But I still get people who canā€™t seem to use keypads!

Hi etozer,

The Airlocking System might be the answer for what you are looking for. I have cut and pasted the following from their website:

THE AIRLOCKING SYSTEM:

INSTALL LOCK AND HUB:
AirLocking ships you a Smart lock system. You just need to connect the system to the internet and follow the straightforward instructions to install the lock.

GUESTS RECEIVE DOOR CODE:
AirLocking automatically emails your guestsā€™ door codes in advance of their trips along with other check-in information you wish to pass along. You are copied on these emails for your tracking.

LINK WITH AIRBNB CALENDAR:
AirLocking seamlessly links with your Airbnb calendar to track reservations. The AirLocking portal provides status information and allows you to control guest notifications.

LOCK UPDATED WITH CODES:
AirLocking enables the door code in the lock at check-in time and disables it after checkout time. AirLocking also allows you to have codes for your own use which are separate from the guest codes.

CHECK-OUT BUTTON: (Patent Pending)
Airlocking has added a new featureā€“a CHECK-OUT BUTTON. When guests leave, they are asked to push this button. Instantly, the Host is alerted to their departure and can proceed with Cleaning Services or Repairs.

I hope this helps.

Heather

3 Likes

Hi There, Among my favorite smart locks in the market are the Schlage Connect, Schlage Sense, and Kwikset Kevo. They could all be voice assisted by Alexa which is my number 1 requirement. When it comes to apps I can say Schlage ie more versatile as it connects via Amazon Key, Apple Home and their own Schlage kit. Kwikset is only good with Kevo App if Iā€™m not mistaken. Check out TheWiredshopper review very informational :slight_smile:

I like the keypads with a physical key deadbolt in case the batteries die. We have a backup key in a lock box.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I will check on that.

I recently was a guest that had an August lock. It was very cool in that the vintage deadbolt on this older building didnā€™t need to be changed out. I did have to download the app but in general it worked great. The one downside was it was set to check out at 10am. I assumed that was PST, as that is where the apartment was. The lock assumed it was EST, as that is where the host was. When I went to grab a coffee at 8 on my last day the app no longer worked. But I had the actual keys with me, so no harm no foul.

I have been using Schlage smart locks for my Airbnb going on five years now. Totally love them an d never had a problem yet.

I use Remote Lock by Lockstate. It have a website where you can monitor user access, battery level, lock use events and more. Also integrates to AirBnB and other STR sights. There system sends all my guests and email with check in instructions when they book. I also have it set to message me the first time my guests unlock the lock and every time my cleaner enters the property.

2 Likes

Axel, if youā€™d like to advertise your product on this site please PM me and Iā€™ll put you in touch with the site owner so you can discuss terms.

Oh, youā€™re quite right. Iā€™d forgotten. Letā€™s leave it until then.

Axel, your other comments in other threads have been flagged so please stop adding them. Thank you.

Sorry, the owners donā€™t encourage unpaid advertising - they prefer to get revenue for the site as itā€™s free for us to use and because they need the advertising revenue to keep us online. :slight_smile:

1 Like