Recent host with COVID advice

I searched but much of the COVID discussion is quite old. We are mostly booked and getting inquires for the remainder until Aug 11th when I give up the space for relatives. My husband has been tired for a few days but got truly ill last night so I tested him for COVID and the dreaded positive line emerged. He was blessed to get an RX for the anti-viral within a couple hours so hopefully will recover quickly. I’m good so far. I have a homeshare but the guest has a separate bedroom, living area, bathroom, and entrance and can use the yard. I am messaging guests with the option to cancel for a refund or keep the reservation with the understanding that the common areas will not be available. One has canceled. One poor guy was planning his first night of a 3.5 week vacation in the US from Germany and is on the fence because rentals are hard to find. I have a public health background so I’m very aware of more recent CDC guidelines and will lock my hubby upstairs for the required isolation time, lol. Has anyone dealt with this recently? Feel free to redirect me to a more recent thread if there is one.

1 Like

There’s this one which you commented on so I guess it doesn’t have the advice you’re looking for but I’ll link it anyway:

It seems you are taking the proper steps. As for the German guest, aren’t there hotels still available? Or it’s just a matter of his budget? I don’t think I’d knowingly stay in a home where someone has covid unless I had to care for them.

Best wishes for a quick recovery for your husband.

3 Likes

Thanks, between hubby’s COVID and my broken foot distracting me, I’m probably not searching very effectively. Sound like my exact situation.

4 Likes

Just wanted to send get well wishes to you and your hubby.

4 Likes

Hope he recovers quickly.

I probably wouldn’t want to stay in a house where someone had tested positive either. But considering that your rental has a separate entrance, and I’m sure you’d air things out well, logically it’s probably a lot less risky than the thousands of people the German guest is going to be exposed to during his trip to the US.

3 Likes

Get well soon to both of you. A broken foot sounds worse than Covid even though it is not transmissible.

2 Likes

I’m getting mixed responses after sharing the facts. Two one night stays canceled but a multi-day one didn’t. Now if I can just ward it off or at least do so until my hubby is well. I’m sure that we got it at his small class reunion last Sat since several other classmates have reported cases.

Take care, you two. The most important thing is your health and fitness.

2 Likes

He may have. I’m still shaking my head at what others do.

I believe my Dad caught it from his neighbor. He was watering flowers. Dad walked to him & they had a nice conversation. As dad started to leave, the neighbor says, “I’ve got Covid. I’m supposed to be isolating”. WTH

2 Likes

Honestly, what is wrong with people? Last summer when I went to Canada, I wasn’t vaxed at all yet. Canadian entry regs were that I had to get a PCR test within 72 hrs of boarding, another test at the airport as soon as I landed, had to stay in a designated quarantine hotel until the results of the arrival test came back, a day later. Then I could fly on to where my daughter lives, and finish out the 14 day quarantine, also taking a home test on day 8 with the kit I was given at the arrival airport.

In spite of me testing negative 3 times within 10 days, and everyone up there having been double vaxed at that point, when I visited outside with my daughter’s neighbors, we sat with meters of distance between us. Everyone was very cautious.

If someone wants to be cavalier about contracting Covid, that’s up to them, but to knowingly stand close to others, who could get quite ill, and even die, when you know you are positive and have been instructed to isolate is mind-blowingly rude and shows zero respect for others.

3 Likes

I’m not aware that anyone there knew they were positive. The cases I mentioned emerged a couple days after the reunion. People can be contagious before symptoms so that’s probably what happened. Unless people are required to test most people I know only test if they have symptoms or someone in their household is sick. Happy to say that hubby is doing better already on the Paxlovid drug combo. We didn’t believe that we would never get it but our goal was to put off getting it until we could be fully vaxxed and treatments were available. That part worked.

3 Likes

Covid stinks! Hope you didn’t catch it and he has recovered. In our case…Husband caught it, I tested negative, he went on Paxlovid - felt like just a mild head cold but we still isolated from each other, Air cancelled our guests for us…3 days later I tested positive - same treatment and results. He tested negative - I tested negative…
Then, this morning he has tested positive again sigh Double vacced and boosted, cleaning everything, isolating, cancelling guests. Our home share has a shared doorway and hallways.

I have been reading that taking Paxlovid is leading to rebounds- like it makes it milder and you feel recovered, but the Covid never really gets knocked out. Just happened to Biden. I would hesitate to take it myself as long as I had been vaxed and boosted and didn’t have a low immune system or some other risky pre-existing condition. Maybe better to let your body fight it off on its own. It’s highly possible that you and your husband would have had the same short duration and mild symptoms without the anti-viral.

1 Like

If you thought I was responding to you in saying it’s disrespectful to stand next to someone when they know they are positive, I was responding to Annet saying her dad likely got it from the neighbor who stood and talked to him and then acted like it was some kind of joke he could ignore that he was positive and had been instructed to isolate.

1 Like

My husband and I both ended up having it within a couple days of each other. Took Paxlovid but understand the rebound possibility. Both off quarantine this weekend. We usually sit and have breakfast with our guests but have been supplying it in their private quarters during the past couple weeks. I miss the company a little, but I’m realizing that I don’t have to clean all the unused common areas as frequently and I get started on my own planned activities much sooner. The disruption is obviously on my mind. I dreamt that I came downstairs and my guests had invited others in for breakfast and were fixing the vacuum cleaner while I tried to coax a racoon out of my cellar, lol.

areaas

3 Likes

I just had covid last week. It was fine, like a flu, and not even a bad flu at that. I don’t live where i host so it didn’t interrupt anything. I’m still having guests cancelling due to covid which is a bummer, but i’m glad they are instead of travelling whilst sick.

1 Like