Reach out -please stop

Hate it! It gives the impression that they care and a specialized customer service agent is going out of their way to help you when in fact they don’t have a customer service department but rather an answering service for departments that you can never contact or even be sure exist. Airbnb is a financial company that makes their money on holding money in escrow. They specialize in maximizing their earnings through interest.

3 Likes

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue in the stakeholder engagement space.

3 Likes

I am happy to see you are using your Best Practices Skillset to drill down on this challenge.

3 Likes

Sick to death of people “reaching out” pretentious clap trap.m

1 Like

i refuse to say reach out. I use contact…contacting. Anything but reaching out! Simple!

I always imagine they’re saying “reach out … and touch” which freaks me out a bit

1 Like

I hate it too! When my husband died, the bank decided to close our accounts, until the will was probated and after that conversation, the employee said to me " Have a nice day."
I was so angry, I went straight to our lawyer.

I hate most of the superfluous waffle that seems to come from so many “support” or “help” people. I’m certain that they use stock phrases rather than actually writing their own context-driven responses.
Recently I had the “pleasure” of communicating with AirBnB support. This was the beginning of the response: "This is your Case Manager, C+++++(M++++), with the Airbnb Trip Experience Team. Thank you so much for messaging to discuss your issues with your reservation. I am happy to assist you"
The person proceeded to give me no assistance whatsoever!
When I had the temerity to point out that the response hadn’t been the slightest bit of assistance I had the following message: “I will have to close this thread at this time. I do apologize for the inconvenience of the delay.” (Great use of English !!)
Now I have to start all over and hope that I can find someone with a bit more skill in the customer service department, in the - er - customer service department. :wink:
I strongly feel that AirBnB have a policy of dealing with issues via the phone, and don’t like to commit answers in writing. We have a spam-call monitoring service on our phone and they don’t seem to be able to get past that!
We have our own Rating system for various AirBnB elements. Customer Service gets 1 star! - despite what CEO Brian says about hosts being “the heart of this community”. :wink:

Today I was researching rolls for Thanksgiving dinner. Not a part of our tradition, but, they have been requested. And there it was! The reach out term IN A RECIPE and of course, this thread popped into my head as I was giggling.

“Cover the pan(s) with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the rolls to rise till they’re very puffy, and have reached out and touched one another, about 1 hour. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.”

6 Likes

What a laugh reading all this; so glad it’s been resurrected! I hate “I’m good” in response to “how are you”, but then I am very old fashioned with my English… But the worst has to be people saying in bars/pubs “can I get a …”. I know a barmaid who responds sternly with " no you can’t. I will be getting it for you and you will be paying me for it".

4 Likes

That is pretty restrained, in my experience. I once had a rep follow up having sorted out a fairly mundane issue with “I am ecstatic to have helped you today and resolve your issue”.
I kid you not. He was ecstatic. Goodness knows what would happen if he won the lottery or fell in love. His head would explode, probably.

1 Like

His head?? Merely???

Is that 20??

I use the word ‘head’ advisedly :hushed: Do you think Air would be interested in a linguistic cultural awareness program? We could write one…!

That reminds me of the old AT&T commercials from the late 70s & 80s. You know “Reach Out and Touch Someone”. Maybe the author watched those one too many times.

1 Like