Rant: Stop the Madness and Throw Out Your Microfiber Bedding

It is cruel and uncivilized. It is exactly like sleeping on stitched-together “combed plastic” bags and you should be ashamed if you have paying-guests that are sleeping on them.

I am a decidedly not-at-all-hairy person and yet they pulled at my tiny, nearly unperceivable very fine blond body hair. Effectively, I was unaware that I even had body hair on my back and the back of my legs before sleeping on plastic, I mean microfiber, sheets.

I am also that petite person that is generally cold yet I woke up covered in sweat all 3 nights I spent on microfiber sheets. It was in the low 40s outside, we kept the windows open and I was hot as hell. It was disgusting and I have yet to write my review because I am seriously unsure that I can cough up 5-stars for my fellow host after enduring those sheetty :poop: sheets. WTAF?

11 Likes

A bedspread that is 100% microfiber was recommended here on another thread just yesterday. I cringed.

Granted, most people don’t sleep on the bedspread, but there are huge environmental and health issues now with microplastics in the ocean and in water supplies and being found in people’s organs.

I have to purchase sheets when I go to Canada in the summer, because almost all you can find now in Mexico are microfiber sheets.

4 Likes

I hate them too but suspect that many buy them for the quick laundering and the deals at home shows and online.

2 Likes

What is that thing about pennies and pounds? :wink: A deal isn’t a deal unless it is.

2 Likes

I was in the Costco in Puerto Vallarta awhile back and there was a display of sheets with a sales rep there promoting them. I asked him what the fiber content was, if they were cotton, but at the same time, I was looking for the tag that gave that info. I said, “Oh, never mind, I see they are microfiber, I only use cotton sheets.”
He then said, “Well, microfiber is a type of cotton.” :roll_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :lying_face:

1 Like

Oh. He thought you were a gringa, lol :joy:

1 Like

I suspect he had zero knowledge about fibers, it was just a job posting he got, trying to earn some $.
I got pedantic, told him I was a seamstress, knew all about various fabrics, and that microfiber is definitely not a “type of cotton”, that it is 100% plastic. He couldn’t have cared less.

I once had an upholstery client, who was an architect, and the interior design employee at her office had told her that Sunbrella fabric was “a generic word for a type of fiber, like cotton, or wool”. I told her the designer needed to educate herself, as it most definitely isn’t- it’s a patented name and process that makes it water, fade and stain resistant, and the fabric itself is 100% acrylic.

1 Like

Not buying the micro hate. All my sheets for the last 7 years have been microfiber - and they are all from 7 years ago! I get compliments on how they feel and look. They wear like iron, and look great. YMMV…

2 Likes

Well, I for one would not book a place if I knew they used microfiber sheets, and if I found they did when I stayed, I would complain about it in the review. No way I want to sleep with my face on plastic, breathing in the constant off-gassing all night.

3 Likes

I’ve never used them (or slept in them) but microfibre anything is supposedly bad for the environment - which is a good enough reason to avoid them.

4 Likes

I’m a microfiber hater for sheets as well. I put “100% cotton sheets” in my listing. Also out here the static on mf is terrible because of the lack of humidity. They are also hot to me.

Funny how when something is advertised as “100% cotton,” it’s seen as a good thing. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen any product bragging that it’s “100% microfiber.” Or maybe my bias is so strong I don’t see it.

6 Likes

I once had Mexican blanket salesman tell me his blankets were “Puro polyester!” as if he thought that was a great selling point.

1 Like

Humidity or not, because this was a particularly humid area, it’s hell to remove stray hairs. There were a bunch of long, dark hairs on the sheets. I’m blond, my husband is baldish and our dog has very short hairs. We travel with a handvac and a lint roller because of the dog and really tried but it was difficult to impossible to remove the errant hairs from these sheets. Even if they’re cheaper they can’t be doing hosts any favors.

It’s not even as simple as cotton vs polyester because this microfiber stuff is different all the way around. Like old-fashioned (pant suits!) poly won’t even claim it :joy:

3 Likes

These particular sheets are microfiber. They provide a wonderful soft, comfortable sleep. Not all microfiber is equal. These are sold at Costco roadshows. The Lux Collection Sheet Set | Jennifer Adams Home. I realize that not a person on here will agree with me, but unless you have slept on these, you would not believe it. I used it for years, then decided I liked a heavier feel. Of course, they are $200 a set for my king bed, and I didn’t want to continue to pay that much for myself. I use cotton percale in my rentals.

1 Like

My airbnb’s ratings?

The “feel” is only part of the objections to microfiber. I try to avoid plastic anything whenever possible. And I certainly don’t want to sleep on plastic.

1 Like

Yes, you already said that once above, in your original post. I mentioned in my post that I didn’t expect anyone on here to agree with me.

1 Like

I’m so sorry georgy but those are the exact sheets I am talking about. I looked at the tag to make sure I wasn’t imagining anything to see what they were made out of and it had that name on there (I remember it because I’m also a Jennifer).

They are soft as hell, I agree. And they’re outright slick and shiny I’d say, but are truly like sleeping on a cheap, plastic blanket. I considered putting the kitchen towels under me merely for some much-needed comfort.

For reference, I sleep like a proverbial baby on cheap, dirty carpet at a small airport (or anywhere for that matter) so am not particularly picky.

My reason to post this is that I genuinely believe that hosts should know. They may look soft and smooth when you make the bed but that doesn’t equal soft and smooth overnight. They are hot and sticky (like bad old theater floor sticky) even to a person who is usually cold.

The only good thing I can say about them is that I won’t hold the host responsible for all of the stranger hairs because I also tried to remove them and couldn’t :joy:

3 Likes

Then why did you bother tagging me to say how great your microfiber sheets are?

1 Like

Not everyone likes soft sheets either. I have a fusspot friend who stayed in my guest room and told me I’d forgotten to put a top sheet on the bed. But I used to use Indian print bedspreads as top sheets (still do for myself), as I like the soft feel of them, plus they are beautiful. She thought it was just the bedspread, and when I explained that it was what I used as top sheets, she said, “Well, I like crisp sheets, not soft ones.”

1 Like