Quietest Guests: 1-2 night, or 5-7 nights?

I’m an onsite host - my 2 night WEEKEND guests are noisier than my 2-night weekday guests. Even though 5-7 night guests are there longer, I’ve been surprised at the mess being about the same. I really like 5-7 night bookings because I get a lot more income for the same amount of prep work.

Larger space, more people, and kitchen obviously contribute, but my gut tells me the change is due to the combination of off-site hosting and dropping your initial price too low.

I find that noise/mess depends not on the duration of stay but type of group. Over time I’ve learned to focus my listings more on attracting families, and include quiet hours in the rules, to deter people looking for a party house. It’s also good to establish a friendly relationship with the neighbors so they know they can call you to nip any violations in the bud. In high season we have a seven-night minimum for our vacation rentals specifically to avoid gaps, and we are full, usually with families on vacation. In off season we allow shorter stays. I have also experienced the correlation between very low price and bad behavior-- but my take on this is that very low prices seem to attract first-time and/or very young Airbnb guests who aren’t clear on expectations.

Thanks for the feedback! You say in high season you require 7 night minimum – what day do you require for checkin?

No particular requirement, but it usually works out as Saturday. We end up with small gaps here and there but much less than when we allowed shorter bookings (and if you’re allowed to you can relax the requirement for “orphans”).