Quick vent - Wish me luck, booked and dreading Guest "suggestions" and review

Thanks for the giggle! I think he means well, but that’s always a two edged sword, isn’t it? Today I got the specks of tape off the bathroom cabinet mirror and cleaned up the bathroom a bit. Yesterday I caulked a small bit in the bathroom.

Some things, like the white noise machine (in a neighborhood that my Dad always said had the ambient noise of the inside of a tomb) is mentioned here but I didn’t think it would be an issue, but clearly is something valuable, so I’ll get one. Amazon… sigh…

I made them jalapeno corn muffins this morning and they were really happy about that and I bought orange juice. I’m going to surprise them with Pumkin Spice Crumble muffins tomorrow morning. Basically, because I wanted muffins… :wink:

Stab with a caulking gun… best line today!!

2 Likes

I think all of us take guest feedback really well because as @KKC and @jaquo always say, we’re in the hospitality business. And it’s important to make sure that we don’t miss the basics and then a bit more.

Under promise, over deliver. They’ll eventually be neighbors, so it’s necessary to tread lightly.

Plus, the cat thinks they’re fantastic and the husband keeps kissing her between the ears. So really, it could be worse. By miles.

5 Likes

I had a guest like that. He used to be in the landlord business. He either just wanted to help or he was angling for a side gig as a handyman. LOL. He asked if I wanted to hear his suggestions and I said yes. So we went in the room and he said I needed a clock (there’s a classic Bose Wave radio with clock). When his wife and I pointed out the clock he said he needs bigger numerals. LOL, ok. I didn’t get another clock. The other thing was that the vent fan in the bathroom was just a cheap builder’s grade. This bathroom has both window that can be opened and a fan and it was 6 months old at the time. That’s all he could find. The usual things like drafty windows, leaky caulk, loose doorknobs and hinges that he apparently finds at all his Airbnb’s just weren’t present in my new and meticulously maintained Airbnb.

Anyone who treats the pups like that can do as they please in my home.

3 Likes

They are keepers! I can overlook a lot of faults in anyone that genuinely loves my critters.

2 Likes

To add… the Bengal cat doesn’t always allow me to kiss her between the ears, so this is uncharacteristic behavior from Bella.

Animals and small children… honest to a fault and excellent judges of character.

5 Likes

Sounds lovely!! And worth it to be able to stay in such a unique home!

4 Likes

Thanks for updating @casailinglady It’s a really interesting read - I can almost picture the guests, you describe them so well!
I don’t think you need to worry about the review, I’m sure it’ll be good. The best bit is about the cat - he really can’t be that bad if she likes him! Have you told him, btw, that it’s unusual for her to take to a guest like that? If not, you really really should. Nobody can resist being called special :grinning:

1 Like

One of my friends in Austin has a Bengal. She’s lovely but likes to stay in the study on her ipad most the time. I won a contest on Ellen’s facebook feed with this picture. All credit to the katty.

7 Likes

Yes, casailinglady, I think the piece of paper is a good idea for him to ‘get it all out’. Or listen and nod. If I have constructive criticism, I put it in the private note in the review, not in public.

1 Like

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this photo… That’s a prize winner… enter it into a photo competitionn!!! It is amazing - totally can see how it would win a contest. Beautiful cat too! Thanks for sharing…

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking about that. Which also makes sense as to why you are being gracious and if he is loving the cat he must be a good man !
And glad I could give you a chuckle…
Cheers

2 Likes

What a gorgeous Bengal! They’re special, for sure. Great photo!

Yes, I’ve told them several times that they’re special. And they grin, so that’s a win. She said she told him to dial it back on the suggestions and I said I appreciate them because I want to supply a 6 star experience for my guests (yes 6) and I need to know what’s possibly missing (white noise machine) and what would make a stay even better. Then I showed them my triaged to-do list. And he still offered to do the work. He’s an Energizer Bunny and needs projects or he drives her nuts. :wink: Super nice people, and it has gotten me to check off some of the lesser items on the list, so there’s that.

2 Likes

The only hand-written note I have permanently attached with a magnet to the fridge door says that “Tap water is suitable for drinking!”. In this way I disuade my guests from buying stale water in unhealthy plastic bottles, as our tap watter in Slovenia is indeed among the cleanest in Europe. All other “DOs” and “DON’T” are included in the 6-page manual with all the information they may need during their stay in the apartment.

2 Likes

Ah, sounds all good ! Damn, I wish you could send him round to my place. He’d be happy for weeks with all the jobs I need done. And I have a cat too. But he (cat) is quite hard work. And he seems to prefer females. Sometimes I think it would be great if some of us could just swap guests!! (Or cats… :flushed:)

2 Likes