Questions regarding extra guests

Too late to change the game. This is a learning experience for you. You are bright and funny and it’s a shame these guests are taking advantage of your good nature. But you are clearly too nice in your listing offering all floor of your home and terraces and kitchen and bluetooth and more for supposedly a two person one bed rental.

Tell them you need their help. Point out that you live there and need them to respect that.

2 Likes

I too just looked at your listing and it is marketed as a “Whole House”… but you live there? Now I am confused. And this seem quite inexpensive considering the number of people you are willing to have stay in your home.

2 Likes

I ran into the same problem you’re now having when I first started renting a shared space. I removed the pic of my big kitchen and under “access” I put 'You are welcome to assemble a simple meal, make tea or coffee but please no extensive meal preparation."

I also clear A drawer in the fridge and point to it when I meet the guest.

1 Like

When I read these types of posts I’m glad I rent a full apartment. I stayed in a AirBnb in Barcelona and they had a shelf for each room designated in the fridge and that seemed to work well… We were on vacation and didn’t really need the kitchen but is was nice to have a place to chill our wine…

Also, if it is marked as a whole house they may not have been expecting to share space with you. Whole house generally means the host is not present…

3 Likes

Yup… It sounds like there’s some confusing language in the listing copy.
You might have to own some of this.

I personally would never ever allow 10 in my home if the comfortable max is five! Maybe we should recruit @cs2015 to compose some rules for you! :smiley:

1 Like

I have a thought that he actually has two listings, depending on if he will be on or off site. That is a common way to manage such things. But, as always, I could be wrong.

1 Like

Allocating guests their own shelf in the fridge usually works. This prevents overspill in my experience … with regard to the pots I would point to some Tupperware and suggest they use them.

If you have the space to allow them to cook then it’s a valuable thing to guests; I wish I could offer cooking in my place but the kitchen is just too small to be able to deal with the inconvenience easily.

Along with a fridge shelf an empty cupboard can be handy and helps guests to keep their stuff controlled.

I feel for you what a mare.

1 Like

I keep a shelf in my refrigerator free for guests. This usually is sufficient, but I’ve had a few guests who need more than one shelf.

If a guest used my pots and pans for food storage, I would ask them to move the food to containers with lids as I need my pots and pans.

1 Like

At 5pm make sure you have lots of YOUR friends at your home. Some ‘taking over’ the roof area and enjoying drinks, music ect. Others helping you cook in your kitchen. A couple watching the TV… oh… no room for the guests visitors? What a pity!

4 Likes

These are all valid comments. As someone stated earlier they are paying for a room and getting the entire house. I am drafting revisions/additions to my house rules to encourage guests who want use of the kitchen to book the entire home aside from heating food/tea/coffee or in the very least raising the price and limiting kitchen use to certain hours. I apologize for not responding earlier, due to. Me being a new user, I was blocked to posting as I had reached my daily limit. My guests and I had a chat about respecting boundaries and found some common ground. While I left my rules open for guests to walk all over my house rules, they agreed that they had taken a slight advantage tonight. Today I had invited several expats over and planned a nice long meal. My ABB guests came down, reheated a meal, are, and went back upstairs, respectfully I might add.

Why should a couple book my entire house for a lot more money if they only need to pay for one room? Valid point!! So from now on, I am limiting use of shared spaces for those who only book private rooms. Hopefully this will help encourage full home bookings.

Thanks for all the replies, I am so happy to have joined a nice community such as this. I just hope that my postings/responses be limited in the future.

-Colin

5 Likes

I love your listing and writing style.

1 Like