Questions about squatters

NO… this will do nothing to protect you.

I wish everyone would read the thread that started here about the squatter. She was either in Massachusetts or Pennsylvania but had to go through the regular court eviction process that had been described for California.

We had to eventually go offline because there was private info, but I can assure you this guest was a nightmare. All Air did was offer to put her in a hotel. It worked eventually, but this guest knew how to work the system.

We are, none of us, really protected, whether we rent for two days or 30.

But what happens when the next guest for the room show up?

2 Likes

No we aren’t protected.

If I had a squater in my house I would not feel safe automatically. It’s a sociopathic behavior to not leave someone’s house especially if host lives there.

5 Likes

Lest people deceive themselves with the notion that poor tenants do not have resources, know that there are plenty of unscrupulous attorneys out there who will take a case on contingency and sue for anything they can think of. Happened to me as a regular landlord, completely bogus lawsuit for $15,000 (yes thousands!), in a state that favors tenants (Oregon). Complicated case, let’s just say in the end I did not come out ahead, but neither did the lawyer.

Please excuse me for repeating myself, but imho, this is the answer. FULL STOP.

Forget about lawyers, forget about eviction procedures. When the next guest shows up, probably after a long and tiring journey, but in any case, who paid real money and is looking for the place he booked to rest his tired body, and finds that his bed is occupied by a squatter, you bet he will have the best arguments to get the squatter out of your house. Be it physical, psychological means, or whatever.

Best of all, host isn’t really involved at all. Let the two sort it out among themselves.

3 Likes

I didn’t forget your original post. I didn’t know if the other person had read it or not.

I often ask guests what time they are checking out and then tell them I need to ready the room for the next guest. They get the idea. It might be a good pre-emptive strategy to make such declarations whether it’s true or not.

1 Like

“My first Hells Angels motorcycle group will be checking in when you leave. I am so excited” :joy:

7 Likes

That’s a bit like me asking my fourth graders what time they would like to do math. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

“My next guest is in prison pre-release and transitioning back into society.”

1 Like

Unfortunately, probably so is your squatter.

1 Like

You have A LOT more rights and don’t have to worry about any 30 day crap, from what I understand. You can kick out roommates quickly.

Where are you from? THis is an international forum… What applies to you does not apply to all…

Oh, and this thread is 2 years old…

RR

In most states you cannot just kick a roommate to the curb

1 Like

A friend of mine in Oregon got a one month notice in writing that one of the roomies was leaving. They would love to kick them out sooner but can’t.