Questions about squatters

Landlordology always has good articles.

https://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/law-and-politics/squatters-rights/

There was no eviction. It was a restraining order that required the removal of the persons immediately.

I’ve seen that happen in a building I lived in. There’s lots of things you can do once you get tired of being a victim.

I really enjoy the guests I have. It’s a lot of fun. They are almost always well educated and professional. They have a life. A life they want to return to. I learn a lot. Sometimes we share some cooking. It’s great, I love it.

It’s fascinating to learn form people of different cultures, religions, and ethnicities. What I’ve found is we all share a common humanity. Love of family, community, along with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I look at the cultural differences as “the flavor” we each bring. I always try to connect to a guest’s humanity and from that start we can explore more. Guests are for the most part just as interested in me as I am of them.

1 Like

This is exactly why I no longer have rental properties in CA. Laws on getting non-paying renters out are ridiculous. In other localities if they don’t pay… you serve a 3-day pay or quit notice. If they are not out within the allowed 3 day period you pay a fee to the sheriff’s department to go to and physically remove them from the property. CA needs to update their laws to protect property owners… not the freeloaders and scammers.

1 Like

Sandy… try those tactics in CA and YOU will be the one going to jail. You cannot simply throw someone out into the street. You have to go through the legal process of eviction… which can take anywhere from 60 to 90 days or more depending on how backed up the courts are in your jurisdiction.

2 Likes

Wrong-o. If I had a guest stay overnight after a party and he refused to leave, I sure as heck would toss his sorry butt out on my own.

Thank you for backing me up. I know several posters here believe that I am exaggerating because they don’t live in California.

I don’t think anyone here is discussing a person who came to a party at your house. We are talking about short term renters who come to stay in our vacation rentals. Many people have had problems getting them to leave when their stay is up.

@SaraLynn is correct. In California you would be arrested for assault if you physically threw someone out.

@SaraLynn and @EllenN

Thank you ladies. The topic evolved and I know of what I speak under my scenario.

People are suggesting to have renters sign a lease if they want to stay for more than 30 days. I have them sign a lease even if it is only for 3 to 5 days. I require a lease agreement, security deposit and copy of driver’s license. I also have a membership to an online site to check people out and check ALL renters!
AirBnB claims to check everything… but they rent millions of properties to millions of people. There is no way they are paying employees to check out every property, every host and every renter. It would eat a huge hole in their profits.

You’re welcome Sandy… we just thought we should clue you in… in the event you ever decide to purchase rental property in CA. You definitely do NOT want to be sitting in the County jail.

We?! …hmmm.
Clue me in??..hmmm.

P.S. I have property in CA.

OK… great! I certainly hope you never have to evict anyone… but if you do and you find that your eviction tactics have landed you in the County jail… keep in touch. I’ll bring you a Starbuck’s coffee and a scone.

1 Like

In these situations… where someone becomes a tenant after 30 days… do you think it might work to have them sign a lease for only 21 days… and when that 21 days is up… have them sign another lease for another 21 days (leaving one day in between) i.e. Lease from 8/1/17 to 8/21/17 and then from 8/23/17 to 9/12/17. Collect money due for 8/22 as a cleaning deposit that is not refundable… ?? Just a thought for those who have rentals in these difficult areas.

You need to cool your jets. You’re obviously a newbie. It’s never a good idea to start trolling posters from the get-go.

I don’t think @SaraLynn is “trolling” you. I believe that she didn’t understand that you were being sarcastic when you wrote, “Thank you ladies.”.

My guess would be that consecutive 27 day leases wouldn’t work because it would be obvious that the host/landlord was trying to skirt the law. I’ve known people who had to legally evict house guests who weren’t paying rent. Also, in some areas of California you can only evict for specific reasons regardless of whether there is a lease.

1 Like