Question about Covid Cleaning of soft materials that can't be removed to be washed

So as I get ready to open up my airbnb again I am wondering what I do about soft fabric surfaces such as coaches, fabric chairs, and shower and curtains. Things that I really can’t wash. (OK, I can wash the curtains but that would really be a hassle) Is there a product to use that I can spray? (I have a fragrance allergy so I have to be careful).

Would it make sense to get COVID air purifiers?
Is it worth the money?
Any recommendations?

Have you reread the Covid cleaning guide? A lot of the overkill has fallen off.

2 Likes

Current research indicates you don’t get covid from surfaces. I don’t think it makes sense to get an air purifier just as a covid intervention. I have four in my home due to the dog business and it’s nice to have but I don’t know how much effect it would have on covid. I’d just allow a day or two between bookings, especially when you can’t air the place out due to weather.

From even way back when surface transmission was though to be a big threat, the science was that the virus didn’t remain active on porous surfaces like cloth, paper, or cardboard for more than 24 hours, max, and more like only a few hours in reality.

Since indoor exposure from people’s breath is the primary means of transmission, meaning you or your cleaner shouldn’t enter for 24 hours after someone vacates, that wait would negate worrying about soft furnishings.

I’ve been blocking out the day before and after for each booking but two new bookings are departing on a Saturday morning and I was hoping that I could book a Saturday night since it’s prime time. I guess not. Oh well.

I’d go ahead and open it for booking. State in the listing and let guests decide how comfortable they feel about it. As a healthy, vaccinated person I’m not worrying about getting covid from booking an Airbnb that someone was just in. I’m taking a greater risk going in stores, restaurants, concerts and being around possible covid spreaders.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I would specifically tell them which days are back-to-back. I’m also not as keen going in to clean without the 24 hours. (Lost folks to COVID). Maybe the Delta Variant will burn out (did in UK and India) but I think for now, I’m going to go with what feels right to me and block. I was hoping there was a product to spray. I’d rather re-open slowly. I’ve eliminated one bedroom and made it a den. So now only 2 people on a king. I’m cutting back on amenities. I did raise my prices but then I added a promotion for September when I open. Want to get my listings higher in the displayed properties. It’s slow going but I’ve got about 1/3 September and 1/3 October books. (Still not enough to cover the increase in Airbnb Insurance (when up 50%) . I then hit my slow season until April 2022 but I think that’s for me to ease back in. I have to get used to running my airbnb again and the noise (I live below).

1 Like

Advice from European CDC is that 3hrs is sufficient, and I’m sure Airbnb cite that in respect of European hosts.

We leave 3hrs before going in, and also ask the guests checking out to make sure all windows and internal doors are left open. So far, no issues.

JF

There is a wisdom to that…

Btw—Lysol spray can help with soft surfaces BUT since risk from soft surfaces is low, it probably will not be beneficial.