Question about amenties section in Airbnb listings

Hello everyone,

I just took another look at the Amenities section and following related sections, and have a few questions about it. None of the items have any explanatory text attached.

1. What does Bed linens mean? Apparently not the same as “bed sheets”, since that is listed under Essentials.

2. I ticked Hot water (seriously?) and Extra pillows and blankets. I’m not exactly sure what the latter means, though. I provide two different blanket thicknesses, as well as a bunch of pillows of somewhat varying sizes.

3. Pocket wifi. It looks this is the same thing as mobile wifi. Does anyone provide this? Is it worth it?

4. Additional amenities -> Kitchen -> Dishes and silverware: Guests are welcome to plates, forks and spoons if they want. Is that what it means?

5. Additional amenities -> Outdoor space -> Patio or balcony. Yes/no? I’m leaning toward yes, but I’m not sure if my space qualifies.

Similar comments about
    Additional amenities -> Outdoor space -> Garden or backyard

Opinions about whether my place qualifies for either of these?

6. Family amenities -> Room-darkening shades: I currently have this ticked, but on second thoughts, do curtains qualify? I have two sets in each window, one white and one blue. The blue ones are backed with blackout material. Or is something like blinds meant?

7. Logistics -> Long term stays allowed (Allow stay for 28 days or more): I’m at least willing to consider this (I’m not in the US). Though 28 days could be a long time. If I don’t tick this, does that mean I don’t show up even as a possibility?

8. Logistics -> Cleaning before checkout: What does this mean?

To me, bed linens are bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket/comforter, pillows and pillow cases. To duvet users a top sheet isn’t necessary.

I’ve seen Airbnb listings that are tents so hot water is not necessarily included.

We have one blanket on each bed. We keep two spare blankets in the closet in case guests are chilly as some people prefer extra blankets to turning up the heat. This is what extra blankets means.

Additional amenities → Kitchen → Dishes and silverware: Guests are welcome to plates, forks and spoons if they want. Is that what it means? Yes, along with bowls, cups and glasses this is what dishes and silverware means.

Room Darkening Shades can be curtains as opposed to window shades, but they must be black out curtains.

Hi @EllenN,

I don’t have both a bottom sheet and top sheet. Wouldn’t that be overkill?

Fair point.

We generally provide two thin and two thick blankets for a couple, and one each for a single person. I guess that qualifies as extra blankets. They are welcome to more if they need it, but for most people a thin blanket each seems to be plenty.

Ok, I guess I’ll tick that then.

Ok, I guess I’ll leave that ticked then.

Thanks for the feedback/explanations.

If you use duvets you don’t need a top sheet. Americans typically use blankets/comforters which don’t have a removable cover. We use a top sheet between us and the blanket/comforter. I provide a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a blanket. I wash all of the bedding including the blanket between each guest.

We have a removable cover (had them made) for the thick blankets, since those are difficult to wash. The thin blankets are washed directly.

I think I’ll skip the Bed linens, since I’m not completely sure what it means.

You should tick bed linens as you provide them. If you don’t, guests will believe that they need to bring their own.

1 Like

The fact that “bed sheets” are listed in Essentials isn’t sufficient? And I’m still not clear how “bed linen” differs from a bed sheet, pillow and pillow cases.

For some of these items I provided examples (maybe they will help provide a little more explaination).
As I understand it:
Pocket wifi: connects to a wired internet connection and makes it work as wireless. The difference is that many Wi-Fi connections use a combined modem & router for speedier connection speeds. Pocket Wi-Fi is a little slower.

Additional amenities -> Outdoor space -> Patio or balcony. I said yes for mine because I have a screened porch.

Additional amenities -> Outdoor space -> Garden or backyard. Since mine is a condo, I don’t have a personal or private garden or backyard so the answer was no.

Logistics -> Long term stays allowed (Allow stay for 28 days or more): this is for your amenities description ONLY and will be overridden by the maximum stay you select in the booking section.

Logistics -> Cleaning before checkout: What does this mean?–
Do you provide a cleaning service while the guest is present like daily trash takeout, linen changes, bathroom cleaning. In my description I included "At check-in, the unit will be “stay ready” (clean, beds made, fresh bath linens laid out & more). If you want periodic maid services, let me know. Depending upon the services requested, there may be an additional cleaning fee. " so I didn’t complete the cleaning before checkout item.

Ok enough about my listing, this is thread is about your listing. I hope the examples help. Anne

1 Like

Bed linens are bed sheet, pillow, pillow cases and blanket/comforter and duvet. It is probably an oversight on Airbnb’s part to include bed sheets in two different places.

2 Likes

Ok. I’ll tick it. But I don’t think it’s laid out terribly sensibly. I’d report it to Airbnb, but mostly they ignore feedback.

Thank you.

No. No.

I have blackout curtains on the guestroom window, I think that’s enough to qualify. Don’t yours fully darken the room like mine does?

@faheem

Cleaning before checkout - refers to whether you include cleaning of the guest quarters during the guest’s occupancy at the mid-stay point or otherwise.

Hi @Annet3176,

I thought that Pocket wifi was a mobile hotspot. Equivalent to a mobile modem/router, so necessarily run on batteries, and also necessarily depending on a wireless ISP.
Useful for guests if they are planning to use wifi outside the room, but within the building. Though I don’t get the sense that’s an issue for most.

Ok, but I’m wondering which of these applies to my place. I have a sort-of balcony garden. But guests can’t really sit there. Pictures at http://towerroom.net (my Airbnb listing), also linked from my profile.

Ok. I’ll check that.

Oh. Yes, I do. Well, for stays longer than a few days. I think I have 4 listed as my current cutoff. The bathroom is cleaned often because it’s not attached.

Thanks for the explanations.

Not fully. Light gets in around the edges - the curtains aren’t glued to the windows, and can flap a bit, particularly if the fan is going. Blinds would be a complete solution, but my experience of them is that they are annoying and easy to break and/or get tangled up.

Some time ago I actually spent a night in the guest room. it was surprisingly comfortable, but I wasn’t too happy about the light getting through the window in the morning. Not a big fan of light when I’m trying to sleep.

1 Like

Yes, I see. I certainly do that. For staying longer than a few days, at any rate. And I’d do it at any time if the guest wanted it. But it rarely comes up.

Isn’t pocket wi fi where you open access to a tether on your phone? Yikes, if that is what you are providing to guests!??

No. I think it’s a mobile networking device which multiple wifi devices, like phones, can connect to, which supplies an internet connection, just like a regular modem/router. And I suppose it would need to connect to a mobile network somehow. Possibly via a SIM. Or maybe via some other technology.

A pocket wifi and a MiFi are the same thing. In essence, they are a pocket router that allows multiple devices to connect to the internet via a cellular network. I love them when I am traveling. However for my AirBNB, the number of foreign visitors no longer justifies even considering this additional expense.

Velcro is your friend!

A host in Spain once gave me Internet access from his phone that way. Oh was it fun!