Protecting Superhost status until there is a vaccine

There almost certainly will not be an effective vaccine as the coronaviruses are tricky little buggers like the common cold. Suggest you take selenium and in fact go out and about in the sunshine, healthy people stay healthy by staying in contact with various infectious agents and letting their robust immune systems operate as designed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/health/coronavirus-vaccine-never-developed-intl/index.html

It is frustrating to try and claw you way to the top of the search rankings, especially when AirBnB is secretive about their search algorithm. However, imagine where we’ll be in two years. Assuming AirBnB still exists in its current form, the professional listings will be gone. (Despite what AirBnB says, the mom-and-pop host is now a minority.) I reckon very few people are going to be hosting consistently over the next two years. If things get going again in two years, you’ll have the advantage of having your history of 150 glowing reviews dating back to 2017.

Whether or not there it is possible to develop a vaccine and if we should continue quarantining is an interesting discussion, but I’d rather discuss it on a thread dedicated to that topic.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat and have a related question. I have three rooms with varying degrees of shared space. If I can meet the metrics for Superhost for one room during the second quarter do I get the Superhost badge on all my rooms or only that one? Anyone know?

Yes. Superhost is not specific to any one listing, it’s specific to the host.

Thanks JJD and OptimizeMyBnB. It looks like the criteria will extended for July but I assume it will kick in again before the end of the year.

1 Like

I mean no disrespect, but right about now Superhost status is the last thing on my mind.

I could claw my way back and get the badge, but I could just as easily lose it, through no fault of my own.

My greater concern is for guests who have no respect whatsoever for Covid-19 protocols. So until this pandemic passes, I am out of the STR business.

3 Likes

Wow I completely missed this helpful thread and started a new one…
Anyway, thought of a related question, especially as it pertains to hosts who share spaces with guests:

Do you -or will you- reopen your biz when you are vaccinated? My first guests in a year volunteered that they’ve been vaxed- which, on its own wouldn’t necessarily reassure me. But now that I am- though I’ll still mask, etc, I feel pretty confident. Do (or would) you?

1 Like

For my husband and me (home-sharing with guests), the answer is a definite “maybe.”

We might open up one of our Airbnb bedroom-and-bath combos. But we’d require a minimum of two-night stays, with at least two days between guests.

And I don’t know how soon we’d open even the one room. We’ll both be immunized by the end of next week. Immunity takes 14-20 days after the second shot (if you get Moderna or Pfizer). In theory, that should mean that we’ll be covered by April. But I don’t know if we’d restart then. There will still be far too many people who aren’t immunized.

All we’ve done so far is talk about what we might do. We haven’t decided anything for certain.

Yes. I also hosted some during the pandemic but closed after my last reservations in Jan. At this point I don’t want to take risks so close to the end.

I’m also using this time to make some improvements to my Airbnb room so the time off is well used. I’ll be ready for a busy summer.

1 Like

We host a room in our home with shared common areas, so there have been no guests since the pandemic started. Now we are close to being finished with our vaccinations (Yipee!), so have thought of starting up again. Unfortunately, where we are (heart of Silicon Valley) 95% of our guests come for conferences or conventions…and currently none of those types of events are scheduled. So there’s no real point in opening right now. I would say we will defiantly open again once the big local events are back on the calendar. Undecided if we will require our guests to be vaccinated. Leaning towards that right now.

1 Like