Protect my listing from false accusation by unhappy guests

I havenā€™t had a TV in my home in all my adult life. Nor do I want one. My 3 kids grew up in a TV-free home and never once complained about being bored- they had games, puzzles, toys, tons of art supplies. As far as Iā€™m concerned, considering TV to be a good babysitter is just lazy parenting.

I have never had a guest who mentioned anything about having no TV and as a homeshare host I would hate having the sound of a TV in the background. If they want to watch something, they do it on their phone or laptop.

1 Like

What you described is what hosts want it to be.

It has been reported many times in this forum & others when a guest requests an alteration to their reservation to move it to the future, what was/is a reservation with a strict cancellation policy is then cancelled with refund after the host accepts the date change request.

Hosts want the 48 hours tied to the original booking date but it restarts when the alteration request is accepted

1 Like

@iamahmbing

We hosts must figure out what style of hosting works for us.

There is value in keeping all communication on Airbnb. I strongly encourage new hosts to do that.

Of course that is a case of do as I say not as I do.

After getting a booking, I text the guest ā€œthank you for your bookingā€¦save my number to your contactsā€¦ā€
I may call the guest to answer their questions. I want to develop a relationship with my guest & for them to know this is my home & Iā€™m not a property management company or investor with a multitude of properties.

Airbnb has accepted screen shots of texts I submitted to Airbnb to substantiate a host/guest communication.

For the rare problem situation Iā€™ve asked the guest to keep all communication on Airbnb for their documentation.

Bottom line-you host your property as best works for your guests & you.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how hosts want it to be or not. I donā€™t use that cancelation policy.

Last fall, I needed to move my check-in date forward by 3 days and the host had the firm policy and was worried about me canceling. I didnā€™t want to cancel anyway so called CS to facilitate the alteration. My plan was to put it on the record that I wouldnā€™t cancel if the host gave me the alteration, just to make the host feel secure.

However, they told me it wasnā€™t necessary because the 48 hours wouldnā€™t start over anyway. They then called the host and told him the same thing. He then accepted the alteration request.

Sounds like yet another case of inconsistent information from Airbnb to me, I donā€™t know.

I think last fall (1 year ago) cancellation policies were structured differently.

1 Like

I see your point but you gotta understand that weā€™ve different priority.

There are many reasons but these are our main considerations:

1. The hospital nearby our hostel is popular for LASIK and some other eye surgery.

2. Most of our guests come with a partner and stay a few nights. They are mostly in their 20s til mid 30s which I assume TV is not their main source of entertainment anymore.

3. Each room is pretty close to another. We rather concern about peace and quiet than guests entertainment.

Ps. We do provide free high speed wifi tho.

1 Like