Proposal to pay via Airbnb one night, with cash other nights - how would you respond?

Lol. I wish I could supervise all my guests while they cook. :slight_smile:

Heh. You could, if you were in India. But if you were in India, you’d wish you weren’t. :slight_smile:

Supervise with a whip and a bullhorn, perhaps.

lol! I’ve visited India, so I understand what you mean. However, I could see myself living there for awhile, maybe somewhere in Trivandrum.

Yeah…me supervising:

Wipe up that oven spill, and don’t let it cake on for days.

Clean up the juice you spilled in the fridge.

Don’t you know using forks to take out the brownies will scratch the pans?

How dare you put that pancake maker back dirty!

Why are you putting the knives back in the dish towel drawer, instead of the knife block?

Dish towels are for drying dishes, not wiping up spills. Were you raised in a barn?

I could go and on and on…

1 Like

Sure, India isn’t a monolithic entity. And the South is in better shape than the North. The thing is that most people end up living in the big cities for career/employment reasons. And the big cities are by far the nastiest places in India. The smaller places, particularly in the South, are probably more tolerable. And there’s certainly a lot of variation between people in different places in India. If you had a lot of money or could telecommute, and so could choose where to live, you could live there very comfortably. And people do frequently have relatively positive things to say about Kerala. As long as you remember it’s still India…

There are certainly unpleasant things about the West that I imagine Westerners would be glad to get away from for a bit. Maybe insane health care costs? At least for Americans.

1 Like

Firm NO. AGAINST YOUR TERMS OF SEVICE and voids any insurance through the website. You could be kicked off the site for such arrangement.

1 Like

I have had this request many times. I always decline, and explain that I am happy to pay the fee because Air BnB provides the platform and insurance that I need. End of story.

It’s not necessarily problematic to have a guest who initially books a stay through AIrbnb, book another stay with you directly. After all, a great many hosts are set up for direct bookings. Many platforms are oriented to guests who book directly with hosts. Booking directly is not in and of itself a problem.

What is a problem is contacting a host through Airbnb with the intent of either not booking through Airbnb for that first booking, or making what amounts to a “just for show” booking on Airbnb, with the real intent being to book directly. The situation that was described by the OP falls into this category, in my mind, so I would decline the suggested arrangement and ask that the entire booking be made thru Airbnb.

This type of just for show booking is problematic in two respects. First, it may not explicitly and literally violate the terms of service, since the intial booking IS through Airbnb, but it could readily be viewed as violating the “spirit” of the terms, since the point is clearly to work around making an Airbnb booking. Secondly, there is the problem of how it looks. Hosts are correct to be wary of having any discussion of guests booking directly with them, taking place on the Airbnb message thread. You just dont’ want things to “look bad” for you on the message thread.

So, my policy is that while I allow guests who’ve made a complete booking on Airbnb to make subsequent bookings with me directly, I won’t let them discuss doing that on the Airbnb message thread – if they do, I won’t allow the direct booking – and I don’t allow direct bookings when they are already talking about that in their very first Airbnb inquiry message to me. Unless, by some happenstance, they happen to have found my property rental website or my listings on other platforms (which allow direct bookings) at pretty much the same time that they contacted me via Airbnb. And then I just follow up with them on the offsite communication channels and they dont’ book initially thru Airbnb.

2 Likes