Promotions, Bargain-Hunters and Star Ratings

I’m glad you put “insurance” in quotes. I only book direct for repeat guests I trust. Friends stay free and even friends of close friends stay free or book direct. It’s not worth the relative small savings for a one off. But I’d definitely convert the one week a month every month to direct pay.

Also, if it’s someone who is trustworthy you wouldn’t need to involve Airbnb in most “insurance” incidents. Let’s say your guest wants to cancel, you were going to refund anyway but Airbnb keeps their chunk. A reliable guest will pay for the coffee pot they broke, no need to involve Airbnb.

2 Likes

No problem.

Changing the topic slightly, how many calories are there in your fridge?

JF

4 Likes

And how is a guest supposed to out their own food and groceries in it???

3 Likes

A lot! There are healthy options as well.

The pic may be outdated, we’ve actually cut that to about half for that very reason! Haha

1 Like

LOL. I just got an awesome inquiry wanting a 25% discount for a week (mwaahhh, no.). Also, she requested that I make the apartment “available” for her for a specific week that is booked already except for three days :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Hey, @RebeccaF, maybe those thrown-out clothes you found were from a different guest that had booked prior and your current guests got rid of her so that the apartment would be available for them? lol

3 Likes

I sometimes have days blocked that aren’t actually booked so depending on the nature of the stay I’d be fine with having guests inquire about days that might not appear on their calendar view. But the 25% discount would be a no from me so it seems you dodged a bullet.

2 Likes

This is the same for me and I don’t mind them asking if days are available; however, her phrasing was “Of course, you would need to make all of the days available for me”. :grimacing:

2 Likes

“Why, yes, of course! But do keep in mind that I reserve the right to cancel your reservation should a more lucrative one come along.”

7 Likes

Had similar from someone who wanted to extend her stay, refused of course as she was the originator of the term Picky Princess!

1 Like

“Please forward me a copy of your verified VIP badge and I’d be delighted to give you an enormous discount and cater to your every whim, not the least of which is kicking out other guests who booked 6 weeks ago.”

2 Likes

Oh please, please, pretty please, show us what you said in response to such arrogant nonsense.

2 Likes

I read this today. Some of us fantasize about saying things like this to our guests. Some of us just go on ahead and do it.

7 Likes

You will likely be disappointed. I went easy on her, though was prepared to continue the ‘conversation’ if she had responded (I’m in a mood ; ) We can all hope that she actually gave it some thought and perhaps will re-think her approach next time.

Me: “Is there a special circumstance on your part that requires such a large discount?”

Guest: :cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket::cricket:

I actually tend to be rather patient and kind with guests, even with inquiries like this that are clearly not going anywhere, but I think I’m getting tired because last week I had a similar inquiry to which I merely responded, “No.” :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

We are in a bush fire emergency area on the North Coast of NSW, Australia.
Being a small town, many locals know I have 4 Entire homes with Airbnb. I am the only one with my surname in my area.
Airbnb have sent me multiple pushes to register with Open Homes, Mine are already booked. This has been pushed with local media.
I have just had my third abusive phone call from people who want a free stay…I am sorry they have been evacuated, but I am booked and the demanding sense of entitlement was astounding!

2 Likes

Best wishes to you and your community for safety!

oh yes, the worst. kind of guest if you can call them that