Profile Photo New Changes

Just before this no photo rule was introduced, we got a request from someone (allegedly) named Heather. Although we allow Instant Book, I guess because she had no previous reviews, she couldn’t book without first making a request. I wanted to feel comfortable with the guest, so I looked carefully at her profile. She had no photo, but instead a strange 1950s book cover that showed a young lady with glasses and a silhouetted image of a threatening man with a knife behind her. It creeped me out and so I declined the request. When Air asked why I was declining I said I was uncomfortable with this guest. I suppose now that this no viewing the photo rule is in effect, I wouldn’t have seen that image. With no photo and no previous reviews, I think I’d decline anyone going forward.

Both my listings are insta book however I have often had people booking for others or local drug dealers using other people’s accounts. I want the photo so I can identify the guest. Without the photo, I don’t know who they are.
It’s pretty important. If something happens, I want to be able to identify at least one of the guests on camera footage.

2 Likes

Where do I find the place that I check that requires a photo? I do say in my wording that I require a photo, but I don’t know anything about the IB thing?

Thanks for your help…Pam

I agree. I have two accounts that are insta books and I also want the photo so I know who will be at my door. I had one person who would not put up a picture after several times of asking to do so. I have it listed in my listing that I require it, so I called Airbnb and they called this person and they put it up. And the booking went through. Now how hard was that???

1 Like

I place no value on viewing a photo so this change in policy doesn’t bother me. I also have IB so the photo shows up anyway (it’s only for enquiries and booking requests that the photo is blanked).

But for those that do care about seeing a photo - someone posted a work-around on the Community Forum. Right-click on the guest’s name and open link incognito. Ta da! You can see the enquiring guest’s photo (if they have one) and discriminate to your heart’s content :slight_smile:

I expect this loophole will eventually be closed but it did make me laugh - what a load of bollocks, as we say here.

3 Likes

Same here. In the old days, pre-internet, we often didn’t even know the guest’s real name let alone see a photograph. We’re pretty pampered these days.

And in our Floridian household :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the old days… oh yes! As kids in the '60s we used to holiday in Ireland, north Scotland, Cornwall etc. and I think my mother used to answer ads in the Sunday papers or something. I’ve no idea! Possibly there was a phone call involved at some point but mostly it was done by post. Seems inconceivable now. It’s funny to think about it, isn’t it?!
I tell you, come the apocalypse - it’ll be us oldies who will fare best!!

1 Like

Definitely, definitely. We can do things. Who can do things these days without googling a YouTube video for instructions? :slight_smile:

Another thing - life was far more violent back then, you know? No women’s refuges, no victim support, no counselling, no nothing. Rampant racism, homophobia, sexism. Funny how things don’t seem to have changed that much really - we just have a shouty voice mechanism to complain about it all in real time.

Yes, true. And a lot of things that are now seen as abuse were considered to be okay. A little dodgy, fair enough, but not really anything earth shattering. We just got on with life though.

But many of them WERE abusive, let’s be fair. Sure we all “got on with life” because there was no choice. Didn’t make it ok, though. There does seem to be a lack of capacity to be circumspect/rational/sensible… can’t think of the word… these days, though. Being wolf-whistled is NOT equivalent to being raped ffs.

1 Like

Interesting about the photo non requirement but it doesn’t always prove out for instance, yesterday I had IB from a guest who looked great via photo but I googled her for some reason and found out that she had recently been arrested for domestic assault, disturbing the peace and a couple of other charges. I cancelled the reservation for reason of " I don’t feel comfortable with this guest". I have a shared location with other ABB guests and didn’t feel comfortable having her in the home. It was a same day booking which meant I had to call CS and have it cancelled but it well worth my time and peace of mind to do so.

@Cindy_Turner_Dodd Are you 100% sure it was the same person? I would be inclined to ask questions first.

LOL. I had a booking from a (names/places changed to protect the innocent) Steve Gibson from Boise, ID. I googled Steve Gibson from Boise and got a story of a guy who landed his private plane in a parking lot and a was arrested for DUI. I don’t know if it’s the same guy or not, doesn’t matter to me. I don’t think it’s the same guy based on the age of my guest.

So even though you don’t think it’s the same person as your Guest you would cancel/decline?

Who are you asking this question?

Cindy has said she canceled based on what she pulled up via search. I was asking if you would too.

No, I don’t think I would cancel based on a google search if I came across something. I have IB, have cancelled or declined about 1% and hosted over 500 people. I don’t care about a lot of things that bother other people.

“We try and avoid single people teens and 20s”

It sounds like that is important to you.

How upfront are you prepared to be? Is it stated straight up like that in your listing?

Would you be up for the ramifications of laying it out?