Profile Photo New Changes

@KenH I found mine, and clicked to the right of it (it didn’t have a check-box until I clicked; then it appeared!)

1 Like

Are you using Instant Book? Because I am not, and have no wish to start at this time.

1 Like

Yes, I do use IB. Not sure if that’s why it appears for me and not others…

1 Like

I have IB and still don’t have that option. I got my first booking in a long time with no picture tonight.

s

I get half my reservations from VRBO where there is no photo whatsoever. I have noticed no difference in quality of guests.

1 Like

This is an old poll on the subject.

2 Likes

I can’t understand the inconsistency… like others, it’s not an option for me either online or in the app.

You will need to have the most current version/update in order to see the profile pic option. I couldn’t see it either then realized I had my automatic updates turned off. Downloaded the newest version and the option was there.

1 Like

We do not instant book and when I tried to make sure we ask for a photo when a booking is confirmed, the three settings all have
“Only for instant booking”
So is this right or maybe I haven’t got my update box ticked. I don’t know how to get to that part of the platform, so any help would be appreciated.

My two penny worth re “seeing before meeting” is, yes it comforting to see who’s coming, but you get a much better idea of the person if you encourage them to tell you about their trip, who’s coming, what will they be using the accom for etc. So I’m happy with the rule, although I’d still like to see a picture after they’ve booked.

2 Likes

Even if you don’t check the box to require a profile picture, you can still get a picture by asking your guests to message you a picture so you will know that the person who made the reservation is the person who knocks on your door. I’ve had more than one guest who declined to have a profile picture but were willing to send me one through the messaging system (or one by direct email to avoid letting AirBnB have it in their possession).

2 Likes

Just before this no photo rule was introduced, we got a request from someone (allegedly) named Heather. Although we allow Instant Book, I guess because she had no previous reviews, she couldn’t book without first making a request. I wanted to feel comfortable with the guest, so I looked carefully at her profile. She had no photo, but instead a strange 1950s book cover that showed a young lady with glasses and a silhouetted image of a threatening man with a knife behind her. It creeped me out and so I declined the request. When Air asked why I was declining I said I was uncomfortable with this guest. I suppose now that this no viewing the photo rule is in effect, I wouldn’t have seen that image. With no photo and no previous reviews, I think I’d decline anyone going forward.

Both my listings are insta book however I have often had people booking for others or local drug dealers using other people’s accounts. I want the photo so I can identify the guest. Without the photo, I don’t know who they are.
It’s pretty important. If something happens, I want to be able to identify at least one of the guests on camera footage.

2 Likes

Where do I find the place that I check that requires a photo? I do say in my wording that I require a photo, but I don’t know anything about the IB thing?

Thanks for your help…Pam

I agree. I have two accounts that are insta books and I also want the photo so I know who will be at my door. I had one person who would not put up a picture after several times of asking to do so. I have it listed in my listing that I require it, so I called Airbnb and they called this person and they put it up. And the booking went through. Now how hard was that???

1 Like

I place no value on viewing a photo so this change in policy doesn’t bother me. I also have IB so the photo shows up anyway (it’s only for enquiries and booking requests that the photo is blanked).

But for those that do care about seeing a photo - someone posted a work-around on the Community Forum. Right-click on the guest’s name and open link incognito. Ta da! You can see the enquiring guest’s photo (if they have one) and discriminate to your heart’s content :slight_smile:

I expect this loophole will eventually be closed but it did make me laugh - what a load of bollocks, as we say here.

3 Likes

Same here. In the old days, pre-internet, we often didn’t even know the guest’s real name let alone see a photograph. We’re pretty pampered these days.

And in our Floridian household :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the old days… oh yes! As kids in the '60s we used to holiday in Ireland, north Scotland, Cornwall etc. and I think my mother used to answer ads in the Sunday papers or something. I’ve no idea! Possibly there was a phone call involved at some point but mostly it was done by post. Seems inconceivable now. It’s funny to think about it, isn’t it?!
I tell you, come the apocalypse - it’ll be us oldies who will fare best!!

1 Like

Definitely, definitely. We can do things. Who can do things these days without googling a YouTube video for instructions? :slight_smile:

Another thing - life was far more violent back then, you know? No women’s refuges, no victim support, no counselling, no nothing. Rampant racism, homophobia, sexism. Funny how things don’t seem to have changed that much really - we just have a shouty voice mechanism to complain about it all in real time.

Yes, true. And a lot of things that are now seen as abuse were considered to be okay. A little dodgy, fair enough, but not really anything earth shattering. We just got on with life though.