Preventing guests from purchasing movies and products on Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, etc

We provide Roku TVs for our guests. We don’t have any cable at all. They use their own credentials to stream. Everyone seems happy with that—no one has complained.

1 Like

Why don’t you have two factor authentication set up? I do and so it prevents anyone from making a purchase unless that device has been set up so that a code isn’t required. I have my personal computer where I don’t need a code sent to my mobile but otherwise one is required. I started it because my kids were ordering on my account and not discussing ahead with me so I put that in place to keep prevent them, and anyone else, from ordering.

With a Roku TV they can install their own apps to watch their favorite shows. I have a sign under the Roku tv that says "If you use your apps to watch tv, be sure to delete the app so the next guest doesn’t accidentally watch something on your account.

1 Like

I have a RokuTV in the guest room. I set it to Guest Mode for each guest’s stay and it clears the guests’ settings at 11am the day of checkout.

It’s an easy programming feature that takes less than 5 minutes for each turnover and guests love knowing that they don’t have to think about it.

4 Likes

We used guest mode and found out they can change the end date themselves. No biggie since none of our info is on the Roku except the wifi password which we have posted for them anyway so they don’t use data on their phones while traveling. So whether in guest mode or not, we’re always protected.

1 Like

I’ve done the same thing. The apps are there, but none of my info. I also have a separate wi-fi user name and password for them and for me for added privacy.

I was required to sign in to Amazon to make it work. I ended up creating a new user account at Amazon just for the AirBnB house with three firestick tv’s. Buyer beware when purchasing new tv’s and the system they require. I don’t think I will have any issues… time will tell.

I have had Firesticks for several years and this has never been a problem. I do have a laminated page on how to work the TV, get internet, etc. and I specifically state there that purchases through my media accounts are not authorized. I can’t imagine why anyone would order stuff to be put in your shopping cart or delivered to you.

In 8 years of hosting the only problem I had was a preteen boy changed the default language from English to a language I did not recognize on the Netflix & Amazon apps. To return the default to English was a pain because the menu displayed in the “new & improved” language. What is it about 10-11 year old boys and mischief?!?! Too damn smart….