So the guests vacated and are gone. They have asked for a refund. I’m not sure what they mean specifically (they stayed last night) so we’ll have to see where it all shakes out. I have asked that they cancel the reservation (a couple hours ago) so it can free the calendar and I can attempt to turn the home and get it rented last minute (at a deep discount, of course). They have not replied to that request (which is strange as our communications earlier had been almost immediate throughout this fiasco).
Locals are saying that power is starting to come back as we speak. But it appears we’re still down at the house that was vacated. It really sucks that the guests are gone. Were I in their position, I would have tried to stay in the region and wait it out through the day (there’s lots of fun stuff to do in the area, even on a Holiday) but they didn’t want to wait. I don’t blame them either way, really. Just awful. . .
@Annet3176 This is extremely inspiring and you are exactly right. I can’t tell you much this advice and these thoughts mean to us.
Secondly, I had no idea about exactly what we signed up for regarding refunds. I was always under the (false) assumption that it was up to us to refund (or not) and then Airbnb would decide to refund over our heads from their coffers if we opted to not. Turns out, it appears these guys are in line for a refund (from me) regardless. I’ll do whatever Airbnb says, really. Leaving all this cash on the table will really suck.
@gypsy Really love these ideas too. This is really our first situation like this on this listing in this market. We have another “mountain” listing (we’ve had for 2 years now). They do PSPS but it’s so rare, it didn’t warrant the cost of a generator and we’ve been correct about that so far. Maybe not with this place. . . At a minimum we need to get that camping stove like you mentioned. I also just spent almost $700 to get 3 of these. I hope this demonstrates to the next guests that we’re more on it than we already are. I hope you guys like this thing below too!
Investing in a comprehensive generator solution of some kind is NOT off the table, but I’m horrified of taking those giant steps and then just signing up for a maintenance nightmare if/when it comes time to actually use it. And then when we need it, what if it doesn’t work anyway? Oy. . .
Thanks for the condolences @Jefferson . I think you’re right that we need to step it up to stay at this price point. I didn’t see something like this coming and that’s 100% on me.