Potential New Hosts with Questions

There is no pitch here, I’m responding to the question and referring to a free resource.

But it seems like you are selling something? Based on your website and name?

Yeah I have a book that’s for sale on Amazon, but I’m not pitching that here. If I was, I’d put a link to the book. If you really want to know, I have a book, a podcast, a blog and a video course, and it’s all a zero sum game. In other words, the costs of producing and running it all is about equal to the revenue. I do it because I like helping people with their Airbnb listings.

If you have any concerns feel free to schedule a call at http://www.meetme.so/jasperribbers and I’ll be happy to provide more clarification. And if you want I’ll look at your listing too, for free :wink:

Hi @Getpaidforyourpad,

I looked at your listing, blog and book. Very impressive. Would you look at my listing? http://towerroom.net redirects to it. You can PM me if you want. I think the photos need more work. I’m wondering if/what features I could add that would make it more attractive. The outside bathroom I can’t do anything about. And if there are things that are off-putting (which I am sure) what can I do to mitigate them?

Regards, Faheem Mitha

Thanks but you can see my concern. THere are some members here who join the forum (even if they are actual hosts) who really have something to sell and then jump in making a fake comment to a conversation thread and then close by bringing up their service. If you are not doing that, my apologies. If you are doing that, there is a special section for vendors to make those kinds of posts.

PS… Even if your initial “review” is free, there must be something later to buy. N’est pas?

1 Like

Hi Faheem,

Your photo section is pretty good, here’s how you could improve it:

1. Replace the “vertical” pictures with horizontal ones, vertical pictures don’t display very well on Airbnb
  2. I would re-arrange the photos a bit, you want to show your best ones first. I’d pick the best photo of each section of your house and put those as the first ten pictures. That way viewers quickly get a good impression of what your house has to offer without having to scroll through all 36 pictures.

Other than that I’d activate instant book, add a guidebook and bed details to your listing.

Hope that helps!

Thanks @Getpaidforyourpad,

That’s helpful, thanks. Not really a fan of instant book, though. But apparently you are.

I’m not sure what you mean by “bed details”. I’ve already selected the new bed settings that Airbnb provides. Or did you mean something else?

Yeah I agree that’s annoying when people do that. I’m not here to sell anything though, the reason I linked to the article is because when I wrote that article I wrote it specifically for people who are on the fence about Airbnb hosting, as the OP seemed to be. The only other way for me to provide that information would be to re-produce it here on the forum, which seems a bit pointless to me and also not everyone is going to be interested in that. That’s why I believe that the best way to respond to questions on forums is to 1) answer the question and 2) link to additional, relevant information so that those who are interested can read more. That’s how most forums function, if linking to articles isn’t allowed on this forum than I won’t do it but I believe that’s not the case.

Although I’m grateful for all the people who’ve bought my book, everyone is more than welcome to take advantage for all the info I provide for free. I’m very passionate about Airbnb, it has changed my life and I feel privileged to be able to help others use Airbnb to improve their lives as well, that’s worth more to me than the few dollars I make selling a copy of my book.

Apologies to OP for being off-topic but I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Strange, I don’t see the bed details show up on your listing. With regards to instant book, it’s a personal choice, but it helps you get more bookings. You can set conditions on it so that not every Airbnb user can use it.

I don’t see it either. But I did set it. Just that the one bed was a king. Where should that information appear?

It should appear under the amenities section

Well GetPaid,

Not to be a bully but it does seem to me like you are here to push something, free or not. (Just your name, for example)… All of us on the forum here have varying degrees of experience and lots of us, have a LOT of years doing this and we know what we are doing. I guess your motivation still seems unclear. I know it is a “social media strategy” to comment on forums and blogs “innocuously” and then bring up what you have to sell, or in your case, push. I think if you want to add to the conversation you should join in without linking to your sites, that way it appears more genuine. That’s why we are all here to support each other. Just what makes you an expert on AirBB? I’m not trying to be snarky, I am just asking. Join our forum as a real member or post your products or PR in the vendor area.

I am just speaking for myself of course. Others may feel differently.

2 Likes

OK thank you for sharing your perspective.

1 Like

Hmm. I don’t see it there, but I certainly set it. Since Airbnb seems to be replying on Twitter (heaven knows why) I guess I could ask them.

@konacoconutz
This was my first impression of his posts as well. His listing uses his actual name which is Jasper and that or a pseudonym is what he should use here. He seems like a nice enough guy but using getpaidforyourpad is already solicitous. Can you imagine a flood of this? By the way I make great scones for my guests can I get paid for them here? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like