Potential guest using son's account

I would take the reservation. There have been highly mixed results on people collecting from Airbnb. I would rather have a computer illiterate old person that will be a good guest compared to a lot of other things.

People rented STR before the age of Airbnb.

I take third party bookings if they are explained to me. I’ve booked plenty of hotel rooms for visiting family so why shouldn’t you be able to book an Airbnb for Dad and Mom? Also, I’m covered for any damage or mishap by Proper STR insurance, which I pay an arm and leg for. Unless Airbnb tells me to stop, I’ll continue accepting them.

1 Like

My in-laws. (And my husband is a software developer…their cluelessness drives him completely bonkers!)

Those are the best though! I love the personal check in! :+1:t4:
I never trust people who don’t drink or can’t make coffee with nothing but a paper towel, a bowl and some water :grin:

My response is aimed at other posters, not simply Brandt.

To me, using the term “old” feels disparaging of older people, making them sound like a race of otherness who have left for some kind of wilderness prairie.
Certainly in the UK, the term has undertones of disregard for the individual, accompanied by feelings of their being a burden on society, of no further use, past their sell by date, particularly when younger generations express incredulity at their lack of IT skills. Perhaps it reflects the so called sanctity of youth.

I prefer the term “older” people. We are all getting older.

Just a personal bug…

3 Likes

I know I strictly shouldn’t but I am quite happy about taking 3rd party bookings, as long as they want to give me money they can stay.

However what does make my spidey sense tingle is when people ask about cancelling even before they have booked.

1 Like

@Joan, we will all be in that category some day. To me old is relative. Just like young, as a matter of fact. The lack of IT skills has nothing to do with being old. My folks are old (80s). If 60 is the new 40 and one could say 60 is still young, 80s probably not. My parents have health issues that prevents them to function properly, be independent. They seem to have lost the enjoyment of living, the interest in what’s around them. That means being old. In the same time, there are 80 years old who still dance, run marathons for their age group and are very involved in all kind of activities, including mentoring youths. I’d call these people young (at heart and spirit) at least. And I know a 90 year old who has more plans and joie de vivre than me at 50! You see, it’s all a matter of perspective. It doesn’t matter the definition, it’s how you feel, the energy (or lack of) that you have. I hope to be very active when I’m old. And I don’t care what others would label me, old, crazy etc. My advantage is that I am a software developer so at least my grandchildren won’t have to do IT things for me.

1 Like

100% agree.

Way back in a previous life one of my (almost pro bono) clients was a community group of folks aged 65 and over. I organised training for them to use their web site, adding content, editing etc. Some had never actually used a computer before, and some had only ever used smart phones or tablets. After a few sessions, away they went and took ownership of their web site content. The youngest was seventy odd, and the oldest eighty five.

JF

1 Like

I had a third party booking last October on the weekend of a big festival. Not until they were overdue to arrive with no response from them for the whole week prior did I find out it was third party. It should have been done with a business account because it was a business trip for the festival. There was lots of back and forth with the guest and Airbnb and I can assure you that Airbnb will NOT cover you for any damages made by a third party guest, not the booking guest.

That said, I probably would NOT walk them through the registration process. That’s what Airbnb is there for. Or her son. You could have left the request open until she created her own account and not cancel her outright, but I certainly understand cancelling her.

Unauthorized third party bookings DO come with risks.

1 Like

I like vintage :sunglasses:

I wasn’t aware you could leave a booking open. Everyone I’ve rec’d expires after 24hr if you fail to accept or deny.

That’s a new one on me, and |I like it too. I will use it to refer to myself but I’m not too sure it would be acceptable in my previous life in the health & social care field!

I am like our rental - Mid-Century Modern :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pet peeve. Generally I insist that the intern set up their account and communicate with me. I did have one magnificent guest with low vision who needed his parents’ help to stay with me, they were providing needed support, not helicoptering. And he will be returning this summer for a long stay w. me – this repeat internship is PAID – and the entire city is rejoicing, he made a lot of friends and is a very special soul.

1 Like

As kids we always called our dad ancient. But eventually we decided that he had been an antique and wasn’t ancient until we were his age…

1 Like

[losing buzzer sound] The son should know that’s a third party booking and flakier yet as he allowed his Internet challenged relative access to his account (or so they say). Could be a scam all around.

I refer all inquiries that are software/internet/payment issues to Airbnb customer service.

I’ve had a similar guest who was booked in by her father. She was a delight to host but came with a carer who was not so delightful…!

I have always taken third-party bookings but have learned the hard way to be a lot more strict and circumspect over the conditions. For example, insisting on having a direct email contact with the actual guest. I know a lot of hosts will say it’s wrong/stupid etc,. but I’m on-site and ready and able to deal immediately with any issues.

I have a third-party booking coming up soon. Man booked for his wife and daughter. They (husband & wife) have 30+ reviews, all excellent, and his messages to me have been full of friendly information and show that he has read every last word of my listing, rules etc. I don’t see the point in demanding that his wife/daughter go through the faff of creating a new account.

1 Like

:heart: words like “faff”

and “bumf” . :slightly_smiling_face: