Post Pandemic Changes to your Listing

@Joan If you haven’t seen the stuff in those boxes since 2014, you obviously don’t need any of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree. I would chuck it if I could but get glared at. Most of it is old tech stuff, completely out of date by now, but it needs “going through first”.

1 Like

This is our forever home, with the Hideaway on the “North 40” >upper 1/2 of our acre. So not much is going to change.

I wish I had asked our banker (family) for money to build a 750 sq ft Accessory Dwelling Unit “ADU” and an outdoor kitchen /pool house and “spool” with before they lost that amount in the stock crash…

But Someday there will be more living spaces here! I am determined and I think it will help us to retire and help others less successful than us, who will need rental housing.

3 Likes

you don’t do the injections with hyaluronic acid?

to stay on topic… I’m thinking I might sell my own house and move in the one I rent now but this require more thinking and planning. And seeing how the housing market is. Right now nobody buys anything, there are no showings. I read somewhere that the housing market will suffer tremendously in US because of the economy and the economy is not going anywhere right now. Except down.

I have 2 outdated towers, both running Windows 7, I think. 2 laptops, 2 sound systems… and goodness knows what else.

But it’s my own fault for actually owning a tech company… sigh…

WFH is definitely the trend for the future and requires astounding discipline. And a nearby WC…

Depends on the market. New York city folk are looking to buy properties out of the city and I’m hearing that they are selling sight unseen in person. Just video tours and contingent on passing inspection. If your house is in a big city it might not sell at this time.

I originally expected this topic to be more of the “throw pillow” debate, but I am inspired by some of the dramatic moves that people are planning

I too think there will be a downturn in Real Estate pricing and hope to be able to get property or a second home somewhere cooler (for the summer months).

I’ve Pinterested some pretty slick modern prefab homes (attached one below), dreaming of having a smaller place that could be used during the summer months and/or to go if I were to occasionally AirBNB my entire house (rather than just the guest house). And then similarly AirBNB the smaller “cabin” when it wasn’t in use.

4 Likes

Very nice. Funny how everything old is new again. Floor plan is very similar to the house my parents owned in the 1960s. I’m sure yours will not offer the copper/brown tone appliances or gold shag carpeting…

3 Likes

Short term I think you are right. Eventually things will recover. Right now I’m watching the real estate at the beach. So many of my neighbors paid premium prices for condos to use as rentals.

I know how the cancellations kicked me. Initially I was shocked & worried. Now I’ve realized I may have to go to LTRs with one and it will be ok.

I don’t want anyone financially ruined. However I wouldn’t mind finding a good price on another condo being sold by someone who is disillusioned with the “make tons of easy money on Airbnb” myth.

Any idea what this costs? (pm me) I looked at the website and its like fill out this form…

I look at that floorplan and think ok I could stick build that but what would it cost to have it delivered… Labor is everything when building. I just added an addition to my office a bathroom and kitchen and when it was all over I did the math and it was 50% labor 50% materials.

Prefab interests me, I have two lots to develop…

RR

I’m not sure how it compares with other things, but in my upholstery business, it usually works out to 50% labor and 50% materials, as well. And it did when I built my house, too.

Which is why I stockpile stuff for years before actually using it.
Marble tiles 50 sqm at $25 a metre, retail $180. Every sheet was sorted into 4 different colour tones - white, grey, yellow, brown. Detail tile 75% off as end of line.
Exposed plumbing new in box $200 ($1200)
Bath was 1/2 price. Basin and toilet were 2nd hand, mirror $20.
My husband is always amazed at what comes out of my shed - all stacked up and ready to go!

5 Likes

Bathroom no 2
All the tiles, top quality brands, purchased for $1000 - with enough left over for an en-suite.
Basin $200
Toilet $200
Shower screen $200.
Exposed shower mixer - UK Brand that retails here for $3K, imported for $500
Mirror $20
Storage - $25image

2 Likes

I think it’s great to see all you youngsters planning your 2nd, 3rd and 4th listings. Not me. I was already planning for the end of the world (climate change edition) and this just pushed the fast forward button. But to those of you who still believe…I’ll be cheering you on from the sidelines. And this kind of cheers too.

:wine_glass:

1 Like

Long term thinking - just makes the house more saleable, all the work that needed doing is now done.
I buy houses, only sold one…I look at what needs doing to discount the selling price. Lots of people approach me to sell, even knocking on my door, leaving notes in the letter boxes, agents have cold called me and even cornered me at home…
I will sell when ready!

2 Likes

I think that business will come back to my area. It’s not all gloom and doom.

More power to ya! I hope you’re right. It’s not for me, but that has nothing to do with anyone else.

Me2, this is unlike anything any of us have ever encountered, but we do not know what we do not now right now. I am choosing to remain hopeful for now.

2 Likes

I used to get real estate agents come onto my property in Canada, and start taking photos of my house, before even knocking on the door. I’d open the door and say “What are you doing?” “Oh, this is a beautiful old house, there’s not many like this anymore, would you be interested in selling?”
My answer was “You’re trespassing.”

I am blunter - F off, before I release the dogs!
used to be bothered by various religious groups…not any more after they met the 55kg dogs…for some reason my dogs loathed white shirts, with black ties and pants :rofl:

1 Like