Possible smoking and trash left in room

Hi @konacoconutz,

Well, it’s more than they hardly said a word to me after check in and the paperwork - both the lady and her boyfriend. They didn’t seem upset or unfriendly as such, just uncommunicative. And they were perfectly civil at the check out, and didn’t say anything negative about anything. And of course I asked if there was anything they wanted, yada, yada, as I always do. Incidentally, they also consumed an impressive amount of bandwidth, considering they weren’t in that much.

In general, I’ve not found most of the guests here super chatty. Most of them are very short stay, and are often rushing around doing the tourist thing like they were on some kind of holy mission. But these people were definitely on the extreme edge of the scale.

But it’s hard to say. Some people are weird. And maybe she will say bad things about me in her review. Though I don’t see how it would change anything if I said bad things in mine.

That’s a hard question to answer, since I don’t entirely know what expectations other people might have. But recommend, as in, these people were simply delightful, and you must have them stay? No. Though they might behave differently with you. People do, you know. There’s no saying.

A more concrete question is whether I would host them again. The answer is, probably. After all, a booking is a booking, money is money, and if I don’t accept it when I get it, there’s no guarantee that I would get it again. I wouldn’t again accept someone who damaged my home or caused me security problems. But I probably would have to talk to them about rules against littering before I left them in. Needless to say, this is all extremely hypothetical. I don’t imagine this part of the world gets much repeat business.

Anyway, some of this comes back to an insightful comment that @Paul_Janaway made, when he talked about the disconnect between host’s expectations when sharing their home, and what a hotel would expect. Something about a hotel being quite Ok with a bit of mess, because they are being paid to clean it up? I’m not finding that thread right now, and search is useless with so much similar discussion.

It also reminds me of a game I once tried to play online. I was in a chat channel, and I asked what the most evocative word in the language was. I expressed myself badly - I meant to say - emotionally evocative. In a positive way. The word I had in mind was “home”. But I got no takers.:frowning:

My point is that when people are dealing with their homes, it becomes not entirely a business arrangement. It becomes something more intimate and personal.

Hi @jaquo,

Interesting. You see, I probably wouldn’t have picked up on that. I guess I’m not good at “reading between the lines”. And I wouldn’t expect others to be, either.

As suggested by someone in this forum, I’ve taken to explicitly adding my guest star ratings to the end of the review. Since Airbnb does not make it public to hosts. :frowning: That helps to eliminate ambiguity.

Indeed. Though many do have high expectations, because it is so personal, as I said above.

@faheem - I know that it’s not a popular thing to say here, but I find that Airbnb hosts’ expectations are a little high. Maybe this is because I’ve been hosting in various capacities since the 1980s (a traditional bed & breakfast operation in those days).

It surprises me when hosts complain about:

• Bodily fluids on bedding - it happens

• A broken glass or two - everyone has accidents

• Guests who check in later than expected - travel is like that

• Unwashed dishes - they are on vacation after all

• Trash not taken out - it takes me about a minute to fix that

And more, of course. Airbnb earns me money and I expect to work for it. I don’t see hosting as easy money (and it sometimes seems that some hosts do). I understand why the company is promoting the ‘live like a local’ thing and making it all touchy-feely. But the reality is that we are in business.

Airbnb is (to me) merely an advertising platform just as Craigslist used to be for rentals in the old days. And I sometimes think that Airbnb hosts are (dare I say this?) are too ‘entitled’ in their expectations.

Now I sit back and wait for the flak :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @jaquo,

I think that’s well said.

But as I said above, home is a personal thing, and so people take it personally. So I can see where the other people are coming from as well. But, yes, the bottom line is

1 Like

If I may…

It’s a transactional platform. They take a big chunk of change to bring us clients. Our 3% plus whatever they charge the guest, who was willing to pay that much to stay at our place. Air have far too much control of our bookings to make it anything like Craigslist. If a guest declares their MIL suddenly took ill, they will more often than not, back the guest. If there’s a dispute over damage, they may or may not side with you. I could go on and on… But you see what I mean. If it were an advertising platform then we would keep all the profits and get to enforce our own cancellation policies. So it’s nothing like craigslist.

Also regarding the things you say above.

Trash…Part of my house rules is for guests to take trash. Most do without any sort of complaint. We don’t have trash service of any kind out here in the country. If I tell them to leave it it might require me to drive 6 Miles round trip to dispose of it. You make trash? You take it.

Glasses broken. This is damage and should be reported. I’ve had guests break glasses that were part of an expensive set and I was soooo bummed. I didn’t charge their deposit but I was bummed.

Leaving dishes unwashed. Vacation or not, I’m not your dish fairy. I do enough dish fairy services for my own kids. You create dirty dishes? You clean it. Vacation or not. Just because you rent my house doesn’t mean I’m employed as your maid.

2 Likes

Of course. I totally understand what you are saying. When I first joined this forum, I absolutely valued your advice as an experienced Airbnb Host. (And I still do).

My point is though that every host is different - that’s what makes Airbnb such a great experience for us all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think one of the main differences here is that, with Airbnb, we have a contractual arrangement with both air AND the guest. So we are beholden to both. If I was in this with only myself as a stakeholder, I would feel differently.

As a B&B, you can make your guests agree to not smoke in the room, and that if evidence is found, you may charge up to whatever you denote/deem necessary to remediate. As an AirBnb, you…plead your case and hope for the best?

We don’t have a credit card on file to charge if things go wrong…

We do have hosts here such as Cabinhost who books through all the platforms and her own website. So she can speak to the pros and cons of all the different ones.

Yes, we get some protections from Air and we also benefit from their global reach. But they do rule us with a bit of an iron fist. It’s not just an advertising platform. We have to play by their rules.

In my case, 99.9 percent of guests have been totally fine. It’s a relatively pain free way to rent a vacation apartment.

2 Likes

I agree, @konacoconutz; overall I’ve been very happy with this Airbnb marriage! On some days, more than my own, LOL. :joy: