Possible Review Fraud/Venting

I recently gave contact information for my cleaning and handyman personnel to a local host who had just gotten started with a whole home rental (he says this will eventually be his retirement home; he lives in a neighboring town). After they started working for him, they both told me that he wanted them to “cut corners”, engage in practices that might be dangerous (i.e. installing electrical outlets in a way that was not up to code) and work beyond what he was originally paying them for. As they are both business people they chose to do what their business, moral and common sense led them to do. They worked for him on a limited basis, although the cleaning person worked much harder and longer hours than she probably should have. He hired his own friends to do other work. He had booked back to back reservations (nineteen, I think) beginning in about two weeks and was pushing her to get the place ready, and she needed the work, apparently. Mr. New Host opened his rental and promptly left for his home country for two months without arranging for anyone to oversee the rental property properly (in my opinion) other then a friend who was an emergency contact. When I learned that this was the case I was very concerned but could not think what I could do because I thought, “It’s none of my business.” Then I realized that he might endanger the nice, no meddling history that vacation rental owners have with our local government. I must add, here, that this property sleeps 16, has a pool and is within walking distance of a beach, so will attract partiers. I sent him a short email advising him that he should arrange for someone to a) provide accountability to his guests and b) oversee the property on a daily basis so that the neighbors will not complain, mostly regarding parking, noise, or trash. (The cleaning person does have a property management business, but he did not want to pay for this service). His response was that he had a friend to check in in case of emergencies, that he did not want to be “intrusive” because that is why guests like to book with him, and then he sent an email rebuking the cleaning lady for breach of confidence.

Long, long story short, my cleaning person/friend came to my house looking like she was in shock, saying she had finally quit because the last guest had yelled at her (they had refused to leave at checkout time) because the dishwasher and 20 electrical outlets didn’t work, the hot water ran out after 5 guests, the garage floor is flooded, trash is all over the yard, the neighbors are complaining about the trash, the noise, the parking, maggots are crawling out of the trash bags, the lock on the doors have been broken for days, the laundry is piling up, the heater in the hot tub doesn’t work. All the guests have complained to her, the neighbors tell her they are fed up, and they’ve told the handyman they are going to call the police. The handyman asked the neighbors to hold off and wait until the host comes home and talk with him, first, which they have agreed to do, for now.

Even though the host has been on the other side of the world for two months, and there was no oversight at all, the place now has four five star reviews on Air. “Amazing.” “Overwhelming hospitality”." Absolute pleasure." “Amazing host.”

I am befuddled.

I’m not. People post here ALL THE TIME that they don’t review honestly. The first few guests had a good stay and if anyone didn’t have a great stay they probably didn’t review. But the bad reviews will start if the cleaning lady is being truthful about the condition of the home.

At this point you know not to give any more assistance to the property owner (obviously not a host). Yes, it sounds like this is a national news story waiting to happen but if the guests aren’t willing to complain to Airbnb then what are you supposed to do?

There is a “report this listing” button and maybe someone should use that. You can report them to Airbnb but if you are seen as being a competitor then they might not take you seriously.

2 Likes

The strange thing is, these are the very first guests. From the very first guest, things were not good, as all of the problems were there from the beginning. The cleaning lady did the initial walkthrough with the host and the guest because she wanted to be there with him so he would acknowledge all the things that were wrong right from the start and she would not have to deal with it on her own. She knew that the guest was unhappy, and yet she gave him that “Awesome host” review. I have no interest in causing problems for him, I am concerned for people’s safety and for the future of vacation rentals in our area. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

If the neighbours are upset they can complain to Airbnb and for any noise issues I presume to their local government. They can also go to their local media.

The cleaner and handyman can find other clients. (Good cleaners/handymen and management companies are like gold dust in most tourism/cities/large towns that attract visitor)

I can see why the property owner was upset that the cleaner talked to you about his private business. He is correct it is a breach of confidence.

If the handyman feels the property is dangerous then he should be reporting it to the appropriate authorities.

Personally I don’t feel it was appropriate for you to contact the property owner or get your cleaner involved in providing you with information about his business. @momovich

1 Like

Appreciate your input @Helsi. As I mentioned, I’m trying to avoid complaints to the local government, the media and the “authorities”. I think it is usually helpful to address issues on a personal or local level, first, before escalating it. I would always prefer someone come to my door before calling the authorities or, my goodness, the media, on me! Why wouldn’t I reach out to a fellow vacation rental owner? I had not included in my original post (as it was long enough to begin with) that he had originally reached out to me in the reservation platform and asked me to become his property manager or teach him how to become a vacation rental host. I declined, as I do not want a full time job. He had asked me for help and advice, but I had not shared that with you. Even if he had not, my concern was for the community of vacation rental owners in our area. I see how things are going in the resort area south of us and I am hoping that we can avoid some of the infighting by joining together and agreeing to work as a community rather than hold each other at arm’s length and be antagonistic. I agree, I did not feel comfortable talking about this man’s business and did feel that it was a breach of confidence. You are correct, I now am convicted that if I felt this strongly that there were safety issues I or the handyman should have reported it, or kept out of it if it wasn’t bad enough to have reported it. He should be home, by now, and hopefully some of these issues will be addressed and the safety issues resolved.

That is why I am venting here, today. I hope it will all be over and lessons learned by everyone.

It sounds like they’d be right to do so. The city council can give this home owner an order to stop doing Airbnb. I think you’re right in assuming that this could threaten your business. You’re the right kind of host who also cares about the neighborhood. This host sounds like he doesn’t care what happens to his guests or neighbors. That won’t last.

It’s always difficult to provide relevant comment/feedback, when you don’t have the full story @momovich :slight_smile: As it now turns out he asked you for help and advice you were right to contact him and express your concerns.

As from what you have said, he has no intention of changing the way he manages his STR it is entirely appropriate for his neighbours to complain to their local council/call the police if there is anti-social/criminal behaviour on the property. As you seem to know them, definitely give them a heads up on what they can do and the airbnb contact details for reporting problem hosts etc.

I wish I did know them. I probably would not have been so naive if I had understood more of the neighborhood dynamic. I am newer to the area. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open and see what happens. Sadly, I have also been naive about this person whom I thought was sincere about opening a gracious seaside property that would provide some extra income & help him upgrade his retirement property instead of building a moneymaking machine to churn out profits at the expense of safety & reputation. I fear a quick buck will backfire and the consistently high income he had hoped to see (which he legitimately could have had) will fizzle out in the face of constant repairs and eventual bad reviews.

I think that you have done more than enough, and quite possibly too much. The home owner is, going to start blaming when the do do hits the fan, and you do NOT want to be in his crosshairs.

2 Likes

Sorry I thought when you said the neighbours had been complaining about noise etc @momovich that you said that because you knew them.

I agree you have done as much as you can.

The neighbours can now take forward complaints and if it is as bad ad you fear, I am sure the bad guest ratings will follow.

You sound like a compassionate person. Put your energies into managing your own place and putting in those improvements that you talked about on other threads.

I think you are right, @justMandi, and I agree, I need to learn when to stop thinking I can be a problem solver or peacemaker when nobody ever asked, really. I am just going to cringe when I see that first public complaint. Sigh.

Yes, it’s none of your business. But…

The fact that it might jeopardise rentals in the area that have hosts who look after their places, offer great hospitality, pay their taxes, have all their licences and so on - that would bother me.

Because I’m one of those people who doesn’t necessarily put good sense before action, I’d be inclined to go round there and at the very least take photographs. I’d want to get some ammo, I think.

1 Like

The cleaning lady took photographs of everything to send to him, everyday, so he would deal with all of the repairs. There is photographic evidence of everything. I think the neighbor has been taking pictures, too. I am not going near the place.

2 Likes

This is why I like cats, and pugs. Pugs do all the worrying for you. Cats never gave a hoot anyway.

2 Likes

What dude is eventuelly looking for a retirement home that parties 16 people anyways?

Once the bad reviews rain down on the property, it won’t be around long. And it is not as easy to just start a new account and listing.

Or on the flip side the bad reviews will mean one less element of competition for the OP plus the added possibility of unhappy guests who have booked not wanting to stay and possibly transferring their booking to the OP’s rental if it’s available.

Personally I’d just sit back and watch the carnage that ensues now, the OP has gone above and beyond to give advice & assistance to a competitor, that the advice was essentially ignored is totally on the other host who sounds like they are the kind of host that needs kicking off the site anyway.

1 Like

True. Although I’d rather have a competitor than have the local authority crack down on STR because of one bad apple.

Yes, he’s definitely gone above and beyond to help and absolutely the other guy needs kicking off the site at once.