Please critique my house rules

My family lived in several countries where it was always tradition to remove your shoes before coming into the living area.
We don’t push the topic by banning shoes, but we have four pairs of cheap plastic sandals that we keep near the door and a shoe rack–HINT! Many people like to have that option. When I am showing guests their new abode I take off my shoes at the door and they usually follow suit, and I say to them that the sandals by the door are for their use.

2 Likes

I’d be very unhappy at not taking food and drink into my room. In particular, I always have a bottle of water by my bed for drinking during the night - how can you ban that? Also, I like to take a cup of tea to bed with me and maybe a biscuit. I wouldn’t stay somewhere that banned all food and drink from the bedroom.

2 Likes

And yet, I have all the bookings I want.

Many people see a worthwhile tradeoff not having crumbs, food smells, and stained furniture to have to eat in the kitchen. However, since I commented on this thread, I now allow water in the rooms.

6 Likes

I think the point is they wouldn’t want you to stay there either! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Sorry - I saw that the title of this thread was “Please critique my house rules” and I took that at face value.

Since you have all the bookings you want, then ignore my suggestion.

I’m a very fussy person, yet even in my own home, I would drink a cup of herbal tea in bed - personally I would be very unhappy if someone told me I could not take a cup of herbal tea to bed with me, when I was a paying guest!

But maybe I’m the odd one! Good luck!

1 Like

Friendly website this one… not

Sorry that I would not be a welcome guest just because I like to drink water and a cup of tea in bed. Who would have thought that such behaviour could be so unacceptable and against the rules.

Every host makes their own rules, that work for THEM. Hopefully, you will not be one of those guests that thinks that their needs and opinions make the house rules of an airbnb host ‘optional’, or, as we see in so many cases, something to complain about in a review, while the house rules are clear and are agreed upon before booking.

You are currently at step 2 of Kubler Ross’ 5 stages.

1 Like

Ah, thank you for teaching me a new thing. I looked up Kubler Ross and it´s about grief when someone dies. Stage 2 is anger.

I can assure you I have no anger at all.

I 100% agree that every host makes their own rules that work for them. But most hosts don’t then ask for people to “critique” their rules, and then when someone does reply, as requested, just to be helpful, they get criticised!

Sorry, I won’t take the time to help again. Obviously it´s very important to you that people do not take any food or drink into the bedrooms.

I totally agree with you that if the rules are made clear in advance, then people book the property knowing those rules and certainly they cannot complain about it later.

I know that I would not book a property which said I could not take food or drink into the bedroom, because it is important to me to drink water and a cup of tea in bed. But maybe I am in the minority, or even if I am in the majority, you are quite right that you can choose your own rules.

Sorry, I didn’t realise we weren’t supposed to comment on your rules under the thread marked “Please critique my house rules”.

2 Likes