Please advise - Unpleasant experience with stay

I think the only thing you can really say to Airbnb is that you did not leave the bathroom, nor stove in that condition.

As far as wanting space to cook, etc. unless it is asked before booking the reservation: “Are there scheduled times for guests to use the kitchen?” - the host probably just assumed you wouldn’t mind being in the kitchen with the Dad. I can almost bet the friend stops by often to hang out with Dad and they are just used to “strangers” being in the house. It wouldn’t cross the Dad’s mind to introduce you to his friend if Dad doesn’t have a really friendly personality.

If I was concerned about bathroom/kitchen usage times, I would have asked the host before booking the apartment. That way I would know if it would work with my own plans/schedule.

I don’t really know what to say about finding the dirty utensils in the kitchen cabinets. I have had guests put back dirty items because they were too lazy to clean them. If the Dad used the items and put them back then that is disgusting. But it’s possible a previous guest had just left and shoved their dirty utensils back in the cabinets. Or they just did a half ass job cleaning them.

I am going to guess the Dad was upset about the dirty dishes from the previous night’s dinner being left in the sink overnight. So then he woke up and was cooking for his friend with the kitchen not being clean. So he just put his dishes on top of yours.

So then when you and your DH went in late morning and cooked more, and left more dishes on top of his dishes, then he became very upset. Then he probably started analyzing everything else and what was a normal “used” bathroom, became a “filthy” bathroom.

I don’t have any experience with the resolution process. I think if you don’t accept the charges then Air will intervene. Did the host have a damage deposit listed?

The fact that he smelled like a pack of cigarettes, was sweating, sat in your car giving directions, had bottles of meds in the kitchen, had his friend over in his house eating while you were trying to cook, etc. isn’t really relevant. That is all part of the chances of staying in a shared home.

The one thing you could mention is to show Airbnb the conversation where the host agreed for you to get the weekend rate at the weekday rate. Let them know you were not reimbursed the $12 difference. So under those circumstances then you feel $12 is a fair trade off for the dishes he had to wash.

Let us know how it turns out.

They probably won’t call you. It’s all done between the host and the guest. Did you put down a deposit? If not, you are free to go. :slight_smile: If so, and you decline, Air will evaluate the situation and make a judgment based on what they think is fair.

That’s what they did in the case of the Jennifer woman who broke my table. I claimed it. She denied it and Air sided with me.

But as I said, just be ready to get smacked in a review. If he doesn’t leave you one, review him and his chaotic property. Wait until just before midnight in the guests time Zone and let it fly. They won’t have time to respond.

If you are ever in a weird situation, though, open a case with Air during the stay so that you have it on record there was a problem. That’s what I did with my Jennifer guest. I called and told Air they were out of control and partying, so when they left and I discovered my broken table, there was good evidence supporting the idea that the guests had been behaving badly, and probably, did indeed, break my table.

Or like Cabin says, offer to settle at the $12 rate! More than fair.

No need to contact Air unless you “want” to tell your side of the story… but you pretty much just summarized what the outcome will be. If you contact them they will probably not have anything helpful to add?? Not sure. Cabin? Should she call Air too? I feel like it might be pretty pointless?

Thanks cabinhost.

The host listed security deposit of $100, but I don’t remember paying that amount though.

This is a good idea! Although, I would use this point as my last resort.

What I am trying to find out is if there is any deadline in raising the issue. I am torn between [calling first and ask Air on how to proceed before declining] vs. [decline and wait for the call]. The host didn’t waste anytime dragging me to resolution center. So I feel that I shouldn’t be passive.

What do you folks think? I have <20 hrs to act upon the ongoing resolution center.

Thanks a bunch!

Decline now. You have to answer. If you don’t answer, your deposit will be claimed by default. When you decline you’ll be given a little box to write what you need to say. I would explain everything you said here. Don’t call Air. No need. Waste of time. So decline now with your explanation and let the chips fall where they may.

There must be some sort of mix up with this $100 claim. It’s possible the host is claiming the entire damage deposit out of error. If you have limited time then pick up the phone and call Air and make sure it doesn’t go to default. See what the rep. says about your written conversation where you were not reimbursed the $12.

You don’t have to spill everything to the rep. but you can find out if he thinks it’s a ridiculous error to ask for $100. Air does not charge your card for the damage deposit until after a host makes a claim. So yes act quickly

I think Airbnb reserves 100$ without you actually paying it and if damages claimed they can deduct from deposit.
I think he did it on purpose: he puts 100$ deposit and then trying to charge guest these money!! I think that’s what it is. Because he claims exact amount as he listed he wants for deposit. I would call Airbnb anyway.

O my god, they took your shampoo?
I had a guest once who stayed one night, used 3 towels. Mind you she showed up around 11 p.m. And left at 7:30 am. She put soaking wet towels on a bed, not only that she covered bed with comforter and left. It looked like she did it on a purpose. Who in their right mind would do such a thing??
I didnt even entered the room until evening as I had no time to clean it that day. When I walked in at night I felt moldy smell immediately. Had to air everything and put it in wash, including blanket.

Yup stole my shampoo. … just really cheesy and cheap of them to do that to a host with an obvious low-budget property… Yana I wrote another post about it… Just dismayed at people… And never cease to be amazed at what they do and say, and what bothers them and what doesn’t. They get a GREAT deal at my place, yet STILL have to find something to complain about… Not everyone of course.

Yana… here is the thread… I'm cleaning and just noticed guests swiped the big bottle of shampoo

:smile:

OK - So I went ahead and called Air. The rep said I had 3 options:

1. Don’t take any action in the given 72 hours. Then a case manager will be assigned to this case (if the host initiates it). It will involve photos from host and guest and a process will start (much like a trial). Then decide on final resolution.
  2. Have a dialogue with host under ‘Keep talking’ option and still not pay anything or declining. There I can explain the host and Air won’t involve until then.
  3. Decline the offer. If I do that, it doesn’t really mean it is resolved, but will involve Air depending on who reaches out first.

What do you think?

Good advice! Go with whatever best suits you… Proves I sort of had my version of it wrong. My bad!

Glad you called Air. Yeah, they have to have proof… The host has to show receipts and photos of damage. Submit an estimate of what the damage will cost to repair or replace… etc. Can he show that he paid someone $100 to do the dishes? If so, I want that job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The issue I see here is that he could mess things up and then take pictures (fabricate the scene?). I haven’t taken any pics before I left. So not sure I can support myself here and I have no documentation.

Not sure if I will be at loss if that were to happen. At the same time, I didn’t want to deal with the host. Ummn…does anyone agree?

The burden of proof for damages is on the host. I don’t believe you, the guest, have to upload anything. Or maybe they give you that option too, I don’t know.

As I said, I doubt Air will side with a damage claim for a dirty kitchen but I could be wrong.

How many of us would think to take pictures, especially since you did not see this one coming.

Just Curious, Curious.Girl, where was this place exactly?

What was the price of the accommodation and what city? $100 will be outrageous. Plus, you need to demand a time stamped picture. You cannot just fabricate pics a week later.

curiousgal,

I have to ask out of curiousity: Were you not concerned that the host or Dad may leave you a negative review for cooking dinner and leaving the sink full of dishes overnight? I mean…not knowing what his plans were for morning cooking in his own kitchen - did you think he would be perfectly okay with it? Or did you assume “kitchen access” means to do what you want in the kitchen? I am trying to learn and not trying to be mean at all. Please believe me.

I understand the things you mention about how utensils were not clean…but hosts also rate guests on cleanliness. I have never used Air as a guest…I am only a host. But I just want to know if it is clear to guests that hosts will rate the guest on cleanliness.

This was in Maui, Hawaii. Yea, we thought we came back from an otherwise great vacation. But for the past day or two, this has given us some headache. Specially, if someone questions about our cleanliness.

We split our stays at 3 different places. This place was the last night of the stay. Initially paid $122 ($85 for room + $25 cleaning fee + rest is Air fee) for one night stay. But I then moved the date and that increased the price to $134. I checked with the host to see if he is willing to waive that extra charge of $12. He said yes and suggested me to pay $12 first and said he’ll pay me when I check in. But at the time of check out, he seemed oblivious about this conversation when I brought this up over the phone.

Wow… I have to say that is damned pricey for a room in a shared house. I have a separate, private, lockable place in Kona for $99 high season, $79 low season. . Right next to premier uncrowded snorkeling, plus I provide all the gear… and a kitchen, utensils, and BBQ, private patio.

I’m amazed that people get away with charging that kind of a price for one room in someone’s house! Were all your stays shared? What was the price range at each place? I know that’s getting off topic but I’m very curious to see what other ABB are doing in Hawaii!

OH… In the future, get all alterations completed before the reservation is finished. You can initiate the alteration yourself I believe. What area of Maui? Just Curious… I have a fabulous place to recommend for next time you go :slight_smile: . My friend’s studio/condo ABB right across the street from the beach in Kihei. Just a little higher than what you paid for the pancake place.

Also, did they not collect Hawaii accommodations tax of 13.42%? They should be!!!