Plans in light of vaccine distribution

The chip is going to be implanted via the vaccine, duh! And Bill Gates is going to sell you the scanner. All this talk of forgeries is just part of the conspiracy!

7 Likes

True, but if there are different versions from different countries, states, etc. hosts would be hard pressed to differentiate.

Suggest she shares some articles with them on herd immunity :slight_smile:

Most official documents have been forged at some point if someone needed or wanted them bad enough and didn’t qualify.

Easier than you think these days. Unfortunately.

Kit available, legitimately, online.

JF

As the pandemic has made painfully clear, requiring Americans to do something in the name of public safety is tricky.

Although documents can be forged some are more difficult and costly than others and most folks aren’t going to do it. It’s one thing to pay thousands for documents so you can get a government job or fly to the US from Indonesia. It’s another to do it so you can go on vacation.

@NordlingHouse is lucky in the sense that people can’t easily get to Juneau. Airlines and ferries can require documents in a way that would be much trickier for an Airbnb host.

3 Likes

The young anti-Vaxers don’t care.

My friend is on board with getting a vaccine. As part of our “things to mention to get people to get the vaccine” conversation, I suggested she look up polio because for the Covid19 survivors, some of the long term effects are similar.

For polio to be eradicated every single person had to be vaccinated.

You can’t tell people who don’t want to hear it, anything. (Ask the parent of a teenager :grin:). If they come upon it by self discovery, there is a chance of acceptance.

3 Likes

It seems to me that it will be even more of a challenge to eradicate COVID than polio, because they are spread in quite different ways. While you can contract COVID simply by being breathed upon by an infected person, polio is spread through contamination by fecal matter and enters the system through the gut. So if good hygiene is practiced, fruit and vegetables and other foods that are eaten raw are thoroughly washed, and people don’t live where water is contaminated, it would seem harder to contract polio than COVID.

1 Like

I have a whole home vacation rental and have been leaving 3 days in- between rather than take special cleaning precautions ( other than disinfecting high touch surfaces). I figured I could stop that with the vaccine but now thinking about all those who say they won’t get it! I AM thinking of just leaving one night in- between though.

1 Like

I don’t think it will change anything for us for quite awhile. We already reopened in July and are busy. Our unit is in our house but on a different floor and totally private. We are leaving at least one or two days between guests and not greeting guests in person. I think it will stay like this for us, possibly even through the summer. Almost all of our guests are young adults in their 20s/early 30s. They are generally thought to be at a low risk and will be some of the last to get vaccinated so I can’t see how it would change our approach until the general population is vaccinated.

I am in the wait-and-see camp for getting a vaccine myself. I am “pro-vaccine”, but also have a life long history of extreme reactions to everything from Aleve to Penicilin to saffron, including anaphylactic shock. I can’t even get the regular flu shot. When the cases happened in Britain with the anaphylaxis, I knew I might be waiting until the next one rolls out.

2 Likes

The state and cities have testing and quarantine requirements, in addition to the security barriers.

What worries many of us now is the push by the cruise industry to restart in spite of the fact that every recent attempt at a cruise has resulted in infections.

It’s a big part of the economy, even if it is highly seasonal. We’ve been lucky so far to keep infections low, with incremental shutdown when cases go up.

Ironically, the first allergic reaction to the Pfizer vaccine in the US happened at our local hospital on Tuesday, 3 miles from here. It was a hospital worker who had no known allergies. The hospital was following vaccination protocol which requires an observation period after injection.

She was treated for anaphylactic shock in the hospital emergency room, and held for further observation and diagnostics and will be released on Thursday. She’s disappointed that she won’t be eligible for a second dose. One local med person told me that she will have a lot of followup sampling.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re saying not to get the vaccine if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients but how do you know what ingredients are in it and how would you know if you’re allergic to them if you’ve never encountered them before?

The advisement out of the UK was that anyone who has had an anaphylactic reaction to something else should not get the Pfizer vaccine, though I think, at least in the US, that they are encouraging it with extra observation. As someone who does have such a reaction to several things, I just assume that I might be allergic if I haven’t encountered it I guess. Honestly, I was sorting expecting this hang-up and just assumed it would be awhile before I could get safely vaccinated.

I’m waiting and seeing what happens. Under normal circumstances guests didn’t always follow the house rules and from what I have been hearing, guests aren’t always following the rules now. I am at high risk, so I won’t be opening until I absolutely have to.

3 Likes

@KKC
I expect that we as healthy 70+n year olds will get vaccinated in summer 2021 sometime. We have been closed since Feb 23, and will consider reopening Fall 2021. We’ve been lucky all these years with our personal flu vaccines keeping us healthy. No clue how to find out if guests are Covid vaccinated. We’ll hope and trust that ourselves being vaccinated will be sufficient. Many of our guests are foreign travelers, but I doubt that next year will see as many. I know I am not eager to get on a plane, or go to any indoor vdenue.

4 Likes

I agree that people in my age group (65+) will get vaccinated sometime next summer.

We have been closed since March 15. We’ll wait at least until we’re vaccinated to reopen. When we do, we might reopen just one room/bath and not the other room/bath.

2 Likes

@RebeccaF
Our in-home guest suite is self contained, without a private entrance. We declined to add a private entrance so as to ( very successfully) police for unregistered guests/pets. We really miss having guests, the fun, the energy, the sharing. We do not miss the hard work it takes to polish the place to our high standards, but it comes with the territory. You have great holidays!

5 Likes

We miss the people sometimes more than the income. We hope to see our favorite people sometime next year.

5 Likes

Same here. If we were doing it only for the income it would not be fun, it would be work. Some of our favorite people have stayed in touch with us, through the fires, and the virus. Seeing them again in person would be a real treat.

3 Likes

I envy hosts that will be going full-steam back into hosting. I’ve already had a couple of prior Airbnb guests ask about stays early next year where I had to decline. Unfortunately, I’m restricted to long-term only for the foreseeable future due to my HOA. I’ve had just two tenants since April and one was a favor for the son of our friends who lost his job due to COVID. I lost money on it, but less than if I had let it set empty. I liked guests so much better. My next tenant will move in on Jan 1 and is expected to stay through June 30. I have really mixed feelings because I won’t be meeting new guests every few days, but I’ll be earning more money with much less work than with Airbnb turnovers.

1 Like