Pissed! Our first bad experience just a month after starting

My one piece of advice: make sure it is factual and not personal. If the guests object you could end up getting it removed and you’re screwed yet again. I would also take out f-Ed up.

5 Likes

Cats is giving good advice but I love the animated review. Lol

3 Likes

@CatskillsGrrl, @KKC Thanks for the advice. I toned it down a bit and left the colorful language out. I did like hubby’s first version though! LOL

2 Likes

You will get one of this occasionally but it’s very rare. I had an incident when a guy brought his date for few hours. They trashed that poor little room they rented. They literally spent there 3 hours. Popcorn everywhere and juice on walls. Condoms and even left messed up underwear.
I left him very bad review . He booked me again through a different site. When I saw him I said : If you trash my room again I will call police on you. It was again the same girl and again 3 hours . This time room was left spotless :grin:

6 Likes

Hehehe… I would just leave it like this.

2 Likes

@Yana WOW! You let them book again??? That first stay sounds awful - sorry to hear that.

I didn’t let them. At that time I was on booking.com. They booked me through them. He was also shocked when he saw me😁

4 Likes

Update - AirBnB is asking us to reach out the guest. I’m nervous about doing this, but could send them a factual note requesting additional money for cleaning and for the room they used without permission. Any tips on how to do this? What if we get a bad review because I ask them for money?

1 Like

Be factual and unemotional. “E and E I’m submitting a request for the extra cleaning we had to do and for the unpaid use of a room for one night.” They may just pay. Don’t be held hostage to the fear of a bad review. They should fear a bad one from you! If they submit a relatiatory review that’s grounds for removal. If they do just pay up you may update their review to reflect that.

5 Likes

There is always a risk of a bad review, whether you ask for money or not, whether you write a negative review or not, or even whether they had a good experience or not.

Just do as Karma’s says short and to the point outline why you are asking for the money ie extra cleaning, using room not paid for. And see what they say.

If they leave a bad review you can respond.

1 Like

What’s shocking to me is that people who are that stupid can actually function in the world. How does one book the same place with the same person and not realize it until they arrive? In any case I would have sent him away.

1 Like

It was through 2 different sites . It looked different on booking.com.
He forgot . It was like a month a part.
He ended up leaving everything good

Please don’t be discouraged by this. Your review of them will kill their career on Air. And you are doing the community a favor.

Take a look at your IB settings. You can fine-tune them so that you only get guests with previous positive reviews.

1 Like

Done and done. Within minutes they sent me a note stating that they woul dnot pay and it was our fault for leaving the other door unlocked (WHHATTT??). Also left us a horrible review stating that we stalked them. I have sent yet another note to Airbnb requesting that the retaliatory review be removed. No response.

1 Like

@justMandi Thanks Mandi. We had a couple stay last night and they were lovely. Room was a little messy but no big deal. Restores my faith in humanity.

Already changed IB settings to require a review. Thanks.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. You’re not totally out of the woods because there’s still the one-review wonders from low metric hosts ( low volume hosts who may deliberately assign positive reviews in the hopes of another visit).

Above all use your judgement. If you are not comfortable call Air and ask them to remove it, or, contact the guest and ask them to cancel penalty free. If all else fails, decline it.

1 Like

I think your response may mess things up. You shouldn’t refer to any claims or resolution center requests. That said if stoner E doesn’t complain they probably won’t do anything. It’s also clear that any money will be coming from Airbnb’s pocket, not E’s pocket.

I know it’s cold comfort right now but his review will soon be in the rear view mirror. It’s completely out of line with the other reviews. Sadly it did bring your average down to four stars on that listing which is unfair but I don’t think Airbnb can change stars even if they delete his review.

I normally don’t advocate asking for reviews but in this case I think I’d be taking any opportunity to educate current and future guests on how important 5 stars are to your continuing to remain as an airbnb host.

@KKC Damn and damn again. Thanks for explaining how this all works.

1 Like

I love the Spicolli and Cheech reference!

Some do it BECAUSE they know the person wouldn’t otherwise. That is what blows me away. Why would you WANT to stay where you’re unwanted???