Photoshoot At My Houses. I wasn't Told - Now What?

You have the stills from the camera. I would claim for it in resolution. And change your rules to say guest will be fined $250 if evidence of a photo shoot is discovered during their stay.

You must have a film worthy place!

Are you trying to say I’m delusional? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

J/K… yes, it is a worthy one!

She just contacted me back saying that she IS shooting at the house but had no idea she wasn’t allowed to. We’re trying to figure out the compensation.

1 Like

A likely story. She knew because it’s all over your listing. You busted her, that is why she is feasting now. Well at least she admitted it.

2 Likes

Personally, I could not care less about this unless my address or photos of me or my family were visible.

1 Like

You know, it took us over 2 years and a lot of time, and energy (needless to say money) to build this house from the ground up. We keep remodeling it every 6 months and always improve it. So yea, it does feel a bit like stealing when someone just wants to use it without care. At least to us.

You are right. This is why if they are filming or shooting, it’s a clear violation of your rules.

I would just add something to your rules like

Absolutely no filming, photography or other commercial activity on the property. If we discover evidence of such actions, we will impose a $2500 fine.

I’d love to do that but after the last few times I contacted Airbnb about issues with guests that were clearly their fault I doubt ANYTHING will be done. It’s clear to me now Airbnb is on their side. I couldn’t even collect $95 on a clear damage.

Generally speaking only the Courts can impose Fines, you would be seeking recompense for Damages.

Any mention of a Fine would be to try and scare them, not something you would be collecting.

So what daily rate did you agree with her for using your listing for their photoshoot?

How about investigating more around Photography and Copyright Law - not in my remit, but maybe a different forum can give you a different perspective.

1 Like

Copyright is always instilled in the originator of the artwork whether images, words, music, design etc.

However the OP could have a clause in house rules about any images taken in and of the property not being used for commercial gain or public display.

1 Like

Correct… she has to have a clear rule on display somewhere in order to collect anything… sometimes Air will allow it as long as it is displayed clearly. If it is vague, then not so much. Since her house is such a showplace :rofl::smiley: it’s going to keep happening.

We agreed on $800.

Great point. Thank you!

It happened 3 times by now and every-time it did it was clear to me they did not want to pay for it. The one before had 6 people there running around with equipment all over for his fashion brand. When I confronted him about it he said it’s only for “inspiration” and he had no idea photo shooting is not allowed - I doubt it.

Good thing is that I made some corrections to the paragraph on the house rules and I just got this morning another request about it and this time the guy was VERY clear about his intentions. Hopefully it will stick!

Oh, and it’s a He… not she :rofl:

1 Like

Ha! I had a feeling Kona had got your sex wrong, but I couldn’t recall what evidence I had that you’re male!

1 Like

Me?? Get sex wrong?!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

join vrumi- for photo shoots video film - and charge industry rates = if you get more people asking to shoot at your place via aribnb - tell them the charge is x or direct them to vrumi advert - if you want shoots - i find it works well for me - been doing it about 3 years now - always good crews and come and go ontime -

1 Like

I agree if I wanted to hire my place for film location/photo shoots I would use a location agency - both to get better rates and ensure proper insurance/contract in place.

I would never do it through Airbnb as there would be no way of recovering costs in the case of damage to the property

Vrumi looks to be only in the UK. I’m in the USA. Thank you though!

Hire a good lawyer? Maybe they’ll write a “cease and desist” letter and with clear consequences and then if they use your home’s images you can sue their sorry ass. :wink:

1 Like