Pets Now Noted with Guests During Search and Booking

I just noticed this a few days ago. It is definitely new to me as I run searches daily, but I know it may have been available in other markets before now. And I hope it hasn’t already been discussed here, I did do a search and didn’t come up with anything.

So, finally, when you put in your number of adults/children/infants at the search bar, it also asks, “are you bringing a pet?” It’s either/or, it doesn’t have the function to note the number or type of pets, but it still feels like progress to me. There are so many posts here and elsewhere by hosts saying that their guests showed up with pets that the guests didn’t tell them about (just happened to us actually). Hopefully this helps a bit, though, as we all know, there are still groups of 8 who book for “1 guest” so the efficacy may vary.

A lot of hosts charge pet fees and it’s obviously easier to collect ahead of time instead of having to confront guests later with undeclared pets, so am hoping this helps that. We are dog friendly but don’t actually charge a fee (the pet-friendly version of the duvet conversation ,), but we do want to approve dogs before accepting them and am also hopeful that this might help that.

Also of interest, when choosing the toggle for “are you bringing a pet” during the search, only pet-friendly listings come up in the search. Even those with emotional support pets will probably slip-up and at least choose pet friendly listings to bring their peacock or whatever :roll_eyes: I think it may also be a stepping stone to having the capability of charging the pet fee in the booking, which I understand would be helpful for those with pet fees. Just an FYI, assuming I’m not the last to notice :slight_smile:

PetsAsGuests

9 Likes

I hate the resolution center, asking for pet fees is a PITA, not only asking but checking to see if the guest who booked two months ago has paid or not. I stopped asking ahead, now I tell the guests they can pay cash or Venmo. So much easier for me. I have only had one undeclared pet and it was a repeat guest who always brings her dog, I let it slide.

RR

3 Likes

I agree that this is a step in the right direction. I’ve long thought they could be more pet friendly and help those of us who allow pets as well as helping themselves marketing wise.

4 Likes

I can only imagine. It’s the norm in my market to not charge fees, but I’m glad to avoid the extra trouble anyway. I just include it in my price. So, if you bring a dog, you are effectively paying a fee for it. And, if you don’t bring a dog, you are being charged extra for not bringing a dog - cause what is wrong with you and your dogless ways anyway, lol.

4 Likes

If someone has an emotional support animal they can answer NO to the pet question while still bringing as many emotional animals as they wish.

1 Like

Not here in Spain they can’t, genuine service animals only.

JF

3 Likes

This is good news. I think fewer people will try to sneak their pets in. The prompts will “prompt” them to be honest. It’s one thing to just not say anything, and another to ignore a toggle button that is prominently displayed and requires a response.

Now, can Airbnb would just fully get with the program, ask for pet info AND allow an optional extra charge for a pet? It can’t be that technologically difficult if they can do tax payments for a bunch of different jurisdictions.

4 Likes

But they cannot leave them unattended at all at the listing, per Airbnb. It’s important for hosts to know this limitation not only because animals are more likely to cause damge when left alone but when guests are warned of this ahead of time or even at arrival, the guests have a habit of withdrawing/cancelling/leaving early :wink:

3 Likes

not enough.
It still is self serving to abb.
I take some dogs, but not a cat nor a monkey nor a bird.
And I charge…a lot.
this isnt enough

3 Likes

love it!!!
:dog2: :guide_dog: :service_dog: :poodle: :wolf: :gorilla: :racehorse: :unicorn:

1 Like

I believe only service animals have that privilege legally,

Legally and contractually are two different things. Our contract with AirBnb is the TOS, we have agreed to allow emotional support hamsters.

RR

My husband has a service dog. We cannot have any other animals on the property that would distract the dog from his primary duty. When TOS conflicts with Federal law, I believe the law takes precedence.
Another example is children: we love them, but our space is seriously unsafe for them, nor will our insurance cover more than two individuals per visit . We are clear about our limitations in our listing.

When there is a conflict between Airbnb’s ToS and the law, whether it be federal, regional, local or national, laws always trump Airbnb.

JF

The thing is, service dogs are not pets. You can say “no pets” but, if you have a listing that has to remain allergen free (say you live there part time and are allergic, or it’s a home share situation) what you mean to say is no ANIMALS. Airbnb in the USA still lumps all service animals together. So emotional support animals, real or fake with papers from the internet, are given the same access as ADA animals like Guide Dogs for the blind.

All that said, this IS a great step forward! I allow pets but I still like to know who’s coming so I can put out the proper size bowls, treats and beds/blankets :slight_smile:

Agreed. The toggle ensures honesty in that the guests can’t “foget” to say if they are bringing a pet or not…
AirBnB could then add a drop-down menu that only shows up if the pet toggle is set to yes.
Number of pets, nature (dog, cat etc) and maybe size?
And in my part of the world, there are no pet fees. Payments for damage can be collected though.

I finally took at look at this issue, and now I’m really annoyed, as a guest.

Because of my allergies. I would like for hosts to have to indicate whether there are animals in the house or not. Filtering for “pets allowed” doesn’t help me or other folks with allergies because it only shows us the places we don’t want!

Every time I travel I have to message potential hosts asking if they have animals on the premises because their listing doesn’t say (mine says I don’t, and I don’t allow them). Even saying “no pets allowed” doesn’t guarantee the hosts don’t have animals of their own.

Totally agree. I do have a dog and cat and I do say that in my listing. I even go so far as to say that if anyone has pet allergies or is afraid of them, to please not book my listing. I also say that they are primarily outside animals and that they don’t go in the guest space, because I know that there are some who have less severe allergies than others- it would really only affect them if it were a closed-up house situation (which mine isn’t, as I’m in the tropics, and windows are basically always open) and the animals hung out indoors. Other more severe allergy sufferers could be affected if there were simply a dog or cat anywhere around.

But there should certainly be a filter for that for guests so they don’t have to read through listings or ask each host.

1 Like