Personal rant: Some Guests just don’t “get it”

Several months ago, I made the comment everyone (yes every adult) should host a short term rental for one year and everyone should wait tables for a year. I think it would help some clueless people have a realization of how their actions affect others.

The story: my whole condo rental will allow up to 2 small dogs max weight (<15 lbs/ 6.8kg) each; no puppies. Reservation request 4 nights; they want to bring a 4 yr old 80 lb/36.3 kg, Labrododdle. I could use the reservation & pet fee money so I agreed to make an exception if they would agree to a $30/night pet fee ($120) in case I have to have carpets cleaned due to a big dog “accident”.

They accepted the pre-approval so reservation is set (I think). They agree then ask me to change their reservation to 3 nights ($90 pet fee) so their total bill is the same for 3 nights as they had planned to spend on 4 without a pet fee.

The answer is NO. I’ve already reasonably accomodated their request. The $30 /night pet fee is based upon the margin provided by a 4 night reservation. Losing a night and reducing the pet fee to $90 leaves me with $160 less in rent & fees than the original reservation plus agreed to pet fee. I won’t have the margin to support the risk of additional potential cleaning or a potential flea fumigation. Plus, I’m not excited about having a large dog who is not accustomed to condo/apartment living, staying in the condo.

If they can’t commit to the original 4 nights & pet fee already agreed to by them, I am suggesting they cancel their reservation and find accomodations that will better meet their needs.

Am I being unreasonable?

1 Like

Did they become hostile? A reservation request alteration is normal. If you don’t want to accept it that is fine. They can cancel if necessary. Based on what you have posted it doesn’t seem that out of the ordinary to me.

1 Like

Not hostile—just the usual issue talked about many times on this forum. I accomodated a special request and the guest wants more. The bottom line is they want to have their cake (accomodation for large dog) and eat it too (not spend more for their trip).

1 Like

I’m against accomodating these sort of requests and have turned down 2 of them in the last month. There’s no point bending over backwards if you’re not making good money. If the guests turn out to be a disaster, you’re entirely on the losing end. Poor reviews, poor income , and probably some damage to suck up.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s unreasonable . I so alterations all the time but I also don’t want to loose my profit. You just said that for you it stopped being a good deal. Just say no

1 Like

IMHO the unreasonable thing here was you accepting a special request in the first place. “One 80 lb dog?” “Sorry No.”

2 Likes

Their request for an alteration gives you an out now. If you don’t think it’s worth it just decline now.
I don’t think working in the service industry magically turns people into empaths. There are many factors at play. When you get those kinds at your Airbnb you just have to use your superior wits so as not to become another of their victims.

5 Likes

Your other choice is to raise the pet fee to the point at which you’d accept a three night stay.

2 Likes

The pet fee is the pet fee regardless of the length of stay. A pet (as far as I know) doesn’t ‘consume’ more on a seven night stay as he/she does on a one night stay. If a pet fee is to cover extra cleaning, then extra cleaning will be needed regardless of the length of the duration of the reservation.

3 Likes

Well, the longer the stay, the more hair on anything the dogs were allowed to lie on, but not to the point where it takes significantly more time to clean. I don’t think. It is odd - the hotel industry usually has an extra fee PER NIGHT. STR evolved in the opposite direction. We usually have a flat fee.

2 Likes