Persistent Perfume

We had a travel nurse here more than a year ago (Dec 2019 to Mar 2020). Nice woman. Great guest. Her perfume wasn’t strong, because it didn’t affect me while she was here, and strong scents always do. She left her room and bath just about spotless.

No real problem at this point, but I thought this was interesting: When she left, we opened all the windows in her room, shut off the heat vents, opened the closet fully, and opened all the drawers. Then we closed the door to the hall. The room stayed like that for more than a month. At that point, we stripped out all the washable linens, down to the bare mattress. Other than these activities, we did nothing in that room.

We finally had to close the windows late last spring because of ferocious rain.

I occasionally have gone into the room in the ensuing year. I sometimes opened the windows again. Even as recently as Christmastime, I could still smell her perfume in there. It’s just a general scent in the room, not localized to anything I can identify (not a drawer, the closet, the mattress, the one small area rug, or anything else).

Everything in the room has since been cleaned and disinfected. I swear I can still smell just a hint of her perfume. My husband can’t smell it at all. At least it’s not at all unpleasant.

That is some persistent scent!

Have you Checked / changed your HVAC filter?

I entered my condo and thought my head would explode thanks to an overwhelming perfume. I opened windows, sprayed Febreeze on soft surfaces, & cleaned. Nothing worked.

I pulled out the filter to check it and found it. Someone had heavily sprayed perfume on the filter so spreading it throughout the system & home.

1 Like

Why do you think they sprayed the filter? It probably just smelled so strong because it had been filtering all the perfumed air in the room, so it was concentrated there.

1 Like

I changed filter. Scent dissipated. The smell was so potent it was unlikely it was an accidental accumulation.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that. What I meant was that the perfume would collect on the filter as the room air passes through it, so it would end up concentrated there. It doesn’t mean they removed the filter and sprayed it with perfume.

1 Like

Two reasons:

1. It is apparently a well known “hack”.
2 Likes

Ah, I see. I guess the guests missed the “your entire home” part. Like you don’t get to do that in someone else’s home.

When I was a little girl, I had these Minnie Mouse ears- like a beanie with big pink glittery ears. I loved it and at one point I decided to spray the ears with some cheap Woolworth’s perfume. They reeked of that perfume for years.

1 Like

Can I put a little sign with the scary lightening bolt: “Do Not Unscrew Vent Cover. Risk of Electric Shock”?
Nah, I didn’t think so.

3 Likes

Yes, we have. If it were that, we’d smell it everywhere in the front part of the house. But we don’t.

1 Like

Do you have wall to wall carpeting or area rugs? If so, sprinkle baking soda and let it sit overnight and then vacuum.

No. Hardwood floor with one small area rug. The rug has been washed.

1 Like

I’ve heard a bowl of vinegar, sitting overnight (or for a few days), can help. That is so crazy to last that long. I wonder what the perfume brand was?

1 Like

No idea. At this point, I smell it so faintly that I might be imagining it.

Huh? What are you trying to say?

I didn’t say they are violated a rule. I was trying to explain why checking a filter might make sense

@RebeccaF -glad it is dissipating

1 Like

I was quoting that hack copy you posted. That says to add essential oils to your air filter. If someone wants to do that in their own home, that’s up to them, but doing it in a short term rental seems to be taking some liberties, no?

What host would think to put in their house rules “No spraying scented anything on the Hvac filter”?

2 Likes

I have sprayed scent bomb on the air filter as a last resort when I did same day turnovers and needed to get rid of cooking smells.

This stuff is potent, lifetime supply…

RR

3 Likes

Does it have a scent itself, or does it just remove odors?

1 Like

We use O2 generators. Sanitises and takes care of all smells. Just don’t be in the room / area when you flood the entity with it. And run the AC on low setting at the same time to maximise.

1 Like

An oxygen generator? Or an ozone (O3) generator?

1 Like

Ups thanks typo O3 - Ozone…

1 Like