People Think They're Getting the Entire House

Plus the airbed and floor mattress thing, sounds like a teenage sleepover. Eeuw.

This wouldn’t be the first post that indicates that you think everyone in the world should host according to your tastes.

Yes, I’d think Christmas parties would be much worse with all the drinking.

It’s as if you are completely and totally clueless about how Airbnb even got started. It’s as if you don’t even know that Airbnb allows listings of people sleeping in Tipis even renting out camping spots. Some listings have outdoor showers and toilets.

Growing up I had friends with large families with 8 people living in a 3 bedroom house with one bathroom. It wasn’t the norm but it certainly wasn’t weird or gross.

The listing discloses what is available for the price, which is certainly low enough for what’s offered and the reviews of people who have actually been in the listing are good.

And I thought I was judgmental.

3 Likes

I did say it was my opinion and taste, no need for anyone else to agree, but loads of people do happen to dislike sharing bedrooms. I think you could get the same money just with single people or couples in the rooms, so no need for the overcrowding.
If people do want dorms that’s up to them.

1 Like

I find the listing confusing. Does each room really have its own private entrance?

separate_entrance

I read your listing and immediately zeroed in on what may be causing confusion among guests-who-don’t-read. The word “shared” is only used once in your description (other than the title), and it was in reference to the community swimming pool. It should be used more in your listing so it becomes clear to guests that it is a shared house rental.

First specify you have three bedrooms and one bathroom on the second level of your home which are available for rent and that the bedrooms may be rented individually or for a family or group traveling together. Describe the bed configurations (don’t know why I can’t seem to tally up 5 beds) and that the bathroom is for all guests on a shared basis. (It isn’t accurate to state it is a “private” bathroom.)

Mention that “We, and our cat (Scarface) live downstairs and we welcome guests to relax in our living room and prepare light fare in our kitchen. There is even a refrigerator in the garage for guest use only.” (I would not mention the few breakfast items you provide (pop tarts and oatmeal) in your ad. The guests may consider it a perk…or not.

As for the non-use of the washing machine, state that the laundry facilities are not available for guest-use but a convenient laundromat is located __ mi. away.

Consider revising the title also: Spacious & clean 3 br/1 ba (in shared home)

Who knows, that might do it.

3 Likes

This is what’s in Airbnb name :Airbed . I don’t understand why is it gross? To have 4 people in a room?. If it’s a family or friends .

This thread interests me because we are adding another Airbnb in the basement of our beautiful century-old house and I love showing my house off and showing pictures of the outside. I’m considering not doing instant book, initially, so that all inquiries can be replied to and I can clarify that the Airbnb is a large suite inside my house with private access. I wonder if that would help. It will probably cut down on the bookings initially until I get lots of reviews.

1 Like

Each room has a bed. Each bed can hold two people. We have the air mattress and futon which can hold an additional two people. So up to ten people can have a bed. The air mattress can fit in one of the bedrooms and the futon can too, or we have also had people put it in the flex room downstairs. We don’t get separate parties, so no one minds sharing rooms or the bathroom with their family members or friends during their stay. We also clean very well after each stay. If you read our reviews, the people who have stayed have enjoyed their experience. We have a group of 7 staying right now who seem to be having a great time so far and we’ve had no complaints of being “uncivilized” for having multiple beds in rooms.

2 Likes

No. There is one front door that guests enter through. Thanks for pointing that out .

I think people will not complain because they are getting a cheap deal. My educated guess is you could make at least as much money by just having one or two people in each room. I also think this would head off some of the problems you have been having with groups wanting the whole house. Obviously it’s each to their own at the end of the day.

I looked at the house and thought ‘nice’, then read ‘private room’ not difficult really.

1 Like

Interesting…I have not had this sort of confusion yet however, I did go back to the listing description and added “Please know that two dogs and myself live in the house.”

2 Likes